Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Interesting thread especially since alot has happened in a year and a half ..Portland has lost one of there department stores its slowly becoming more of a nieghborhood shopping area instead of a destination. Seattle has become much more urban with dense development in south lake union and denny area. South lake union has been nick named billion aires boulevard. Downtown seattle has seen new international retailers movin in All Saints, Hard Rock,Target is building a urban store downtown. Pink Vodka is opening a club downtown also . Seattle downtown has grown to 60,000 residents +.It now has over 40million square ft of office space and 229,000 + people who work downtown. Theres 950 resteraunts downtown. Two new museums under construction one proposed.A new urban waterfront park .And there gettin ready to start construction on the new street car up the hill. Anyway how is portland only thing in news lately is they lost a major department store.
Just curious, which Department store left Downtown Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Interesting thread especially since alot has happened in a year and a half ..Portland has lost one of there department stores its slowly becoming more of a nieghborhood shopping area instead of a destination. Seattle has become much more urban with dense development in south lake union and denny area. South lake union has been nick named billion aires boulevard. Downtown seattle has seen new international retailers movin in All Saints, Hard Rock,Target is building a urban store downtown. Pink Vodka is opening a club downtown also . Seattle downtown has grown to 60,000 residents +.It now has over 40million square ft of office space and 229,000 + people who work downtown. Theres 950 resteraunts downtown. Two new museums under construction one proposed.A new urban waterfront park .And there gettin ready to start construction on the new street car up the hill. Anyway how is portland only thing in news lately is they lost a major department store.
Which department store did they lose? If you're talking about Meier and Frank, I think it just got converted into a Macy's.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Wow. I couldn't disagree more. Portland is and always will be a wanna be.
Thanks for your lazy criticism, Bill

Let us know when you come up with an original addition to the discussion.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Just curious, which Department store left Downtown Portland?
Saks department store.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Which department store did they lose? If you're talking about Meier and Frank, I think it just got converted into a Macy's.
They lost the Saks in pioneer place it was broken up and turned into discount retailers.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Saks department store.
Wow! I didn't know, but thanks for answering my question.

I do know that Macy's is spending a ton of money to rehab their Downtown store in PDX. I always thought it was rather odd that PDX had a Saks, while Seattle didn't.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
They lost the Saks in pioneer place it was broken up and turned into discount retailers.
Interesting, didn't know that. Just checked online and it looks like there is a Saks "Off 5th" store at Bridgeport Village. I assume that is something like a Nordstrom Rack.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Interesting, didn't know that. Just checked online and it looks like there is a Saks "Off 5th" store at Bridgeport Village. I assume that is something like a Nordstrom Rack.
Bingo. It is Saks' version of Nordstrom Rack.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Thanks for your lazy criticism, Bill

Let us know when you come up with an original addition to the discussion.
What's your problem pal? My comment rings true. Portland has always suffered in the shadow of its much larger and more successful neighbor. Seattle is just better on so many levels The two downtowns aren't close in size or scope or breadth of offerings. Getting one's panties in a twist over my comments doesn't discredit their veracity or their basis in fact.

Seattle's downtown more than double the number of residents. Never mind the greater number of amenities that follow suit. Look it up.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
What's your problem pal? My comment rings true. Portland has always suffered in the shadow of its much larger and more successful neighbor. Seattle is just better on so many levels The two downtowns aren't close in size or scope or breadth of offerings. Getting one's panties in a twist over my comments doesn't discredit their veracity or their basis in fact.

Seattle's downtown more than double the number of residents. Never mind the greater number of amenities that follow suit. Look it up.
Bro, you're delusional. I could easily say that Seattle is a wannabe San Francisco and San Francisco is a wanna be New York. Point is its a lazy comment that you assume speaks for itself, but in reality is just empty and meaningless.

If Portland were trying to emulate Seattle's identity, don't you think the downtowns would have a similar set up? But they don't. Portland's is more accessible and neigborhoodlike by design. Seattle's is not for the same reason. No one is trying to copy anyone.

I think pw72 said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The downtowns, as evidenced by this thread, are quite different. It depends on what you consider an ideal downtown. Seattle feels like commerce, business, bustle, people needing to get from point A to point B. Portland feels like restaurants, strolling, bookstores, places to live. It's just a completely different vibe. I don't think either city is pretending to be something that it isn't. They are just being themselves. Seattle, being the business and population center of the NW is just being what is natural. Portland, being a livable, more sedate type of place, is just being what is natural. Perhaps, an oversimplification, but that is how this former WA and OR resident sees it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City