Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM

246 posts, read 758,908 times

Advertisements

The fact that they have their own character and feel is good, but the fact that they are not as easily accessible as they should be from downtown is not. (i.e. compared to inner ring portland neighborhoods)
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
"Neighborhoods like Queen Anne and Capitol Hill are near downtown but somehow feel separated."
I always thought this was a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,274 times
Others may not agree, but I actually find Capitol Hill and First Hill quite connected to downtown. I used to work downtown (Union Square) while living on Cap Hill, and I always walked to work - it's really quite accessible. Just go up Pike from the retail core, and the Hill starts right past the convention center. No more disconnected than NW23rd I'd say.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
I was talking more about the vibe, nothing really tangible like particular neighborhoods, just the feeling of the nightlife. Maybe it's the strip clubs there or something else, I can't put my finger on it but i've talked about it with other people who think so too. It's not necessarily a bad thing either, just a different feel.
It feels a little seedier in Portland, I agree. I think that's what it is. Doesn't reflect the actuality of the city, but just the vibe.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM

217 posts, read 561,604 times
Quote: "The fact that they have their own character and feel is good, but the fact that they are not as easily accessible as they should be from downtown is not. (i.e. compared to inner ring portland neighborhoods)"

It's pretty easy to get to Capitol Hill from Downtown, just cross I-5 via an overpass and presto you're there! (Are you sure you've been here before?)

Last edited by godhead; 07-21-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: edited for quote

Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,194 times
I like Seattle's downtown, because of the size and the waterfront, but I think Portland has an overall better layout.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Yes, I lived in Capitol Hill. I agree it's pretty close (I walked downtown all the time) but still feels disconnected. Mostly because of the hill, and because there is a small "break in the action" on part of Pike. Queen Anne also feels somewhat disconnected although it too is a short walk.

Again, compare this to neighborhoods around downtown Portland or San Francisco (or many other large cities) where neighborhoods literally butt up against each other without any disconnect whatsoever. It may seem like a minor thing but it completely changes the feeling and convenience of the downtown area. Inner seattle neighborhoods feel more like nodes as opposed to the fluid nature of the neighborhoods in Portland, etc.

quote=godhead;9880024]Quote: "The fact that they have their own character and feel is good, but the fact that they are not as easily accessible as they should be from downtown is not. (i.e. compared to inner ring portland neighborhoods)"

It's pretty easy to get to Capitol Hill from Downtown, just cross I-5 via an overpass and presto you're there! (Are you sure you've been here before?)[/quote]

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM

318 posts, read 950,449 times
Canadian panhandlers are WAY more aggressive than American ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
The fact that they have their own character and feel is good, but the fact that they are not as easily accessible as they should be from downtown is not. (i.e. compared to inner ring portland neighborhoods)
I don't think Seattle has much a problem with accessibility between neighborhoods as it does with blending, particularly with large dead infill properties in between them.

By the way, getting from either Capitol Hill or First Hill to Downtown is quite fun, especially on Madison.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM

I agree about the walk being a pleasant one between Capitol Hill and downtown, but let me give you an example to illustrate my point.

Let's say you're bar-hopping with friends and youre in Belltown, then decide to go to Pike/Pine. Walking is possible but really not that convenient, feels like more of a "trek". You'd have to walk through a few dead areas and there arent really any other happening spots in-between. Queen Anne is similar, as is Pioneer Square.

Now let's say you're bar-hopping in Portland. You're on 2nd and Burnside, and you want to go to the Pearl District or Chinatown. You're literally a stone's throw away and the trip feels like nothing. Besides the shorter distance, there are no dead areas in-between, making it feel more fluid and connected. From the Pearl to 23rd is also fairly close without many dead areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post

I don't think Seattle has much a problem with accessibility between neighborhoods as it does with blending, particularly with large dead infill properties in between them.

By the way, getting from either Capitol Hill or First Hill to Downtown is quite fun, especially on Madison.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 PM

233 posts, read 752,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
I agree about the walk being a pleasant one between Capitol Hill and downtown, but let me give you an example to illustrate my point.

Let's say you're bar-hopping with friends and youre in Belltown, then decide to go to Pike/Pine. Walking is possible but really not that convenient, feels like more of a "trek". You'd have to walk through a few dead areas and there arent really any other happening spots in-between. Queen Anne is similar, as is Pioneer Square.

Now let's say you're bar-hopping in Portland. You're on 2nd and Burnside, and you want to go to the Pearl District or Chinatown. You're literally a stone's throw away and the trip feels like nothing. Besides the shorter distance, there are no dead areas in-between, making it feel more fluid and connected. From the Pearl to 23rd is also fairly close without many dead areas...
But isn't that just because Seattle has a bigger downtown area, so your going to be walking further no matter what?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM

330 posts, read 681,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Nonsense. I've never once had a panhandler follow me and continue asking for change. And I live right downtown and walk by many panhandlers every single day. The only places I've had panhandlers follow me were in Seattle and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City