Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,835,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Thanks for the info guys. The impression I was getting initially about the CDC was that it could be considered the SEC of the Healthcare sector, but it seems like it gets its hands a bit dirtier than the SEC does.

I don't think you're being a jerk whatsoever. I am really interested in the Life Science/Biotech Center (I still love Jurassic Park/Lost World/AnythingbyMichaelCrichton), but I hadn't really heard much about the CDC prior to this site. However, I'm glad to have learned a bit more about it.

I suppose I have a problem with thinking of Atlanta in the highest tier of Healthcare cities is the fact that I don't see any private support. Meaning: Boston has Beth Israel, Dana Farber, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham & Women's, and everything Harvard.

We're also home to the Boston University BioTerrorism Laboratory, an extremely controversial BSL4 Laboratory (http://www.ace-ej.org/BiolabWeb/Biolabdocs/WhattheBSLnumbersmean.pdf - broken link)which researches the deadliest viruses and diseases on the planet which could be used for BioWarfare.

However, Boston is also home to private companies like Genzyme, Biogen Idec, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Boston Scientific, Novartis AG, Covidien, and the research labs for Abbott Laboratories. I just have a tough time saying that since Atlanta has the CDC (which again, is extremely important), it's just as important as Boston when it comes to healthcare. Houston and the TMC are extremely important (though they too seem to have a lack of private support), and the Bay Area is loaded to the brim with biotech companies (though their healthcare power seems to be purely from the private sector).

I may be rambling, but those are just my thoughts.
Research schools and hospitals that do research in Atlanta: Crawford Long Hospital,The Emory Clinic,Morehouse School of Medicine,Sheppard Spinal Center, Atlanta Center for Medical Research, a leader in the field of Clinical Research.Also Grady Hospital.One of the best hospitals for Trama in the U.S.

There are 2 BSL-4 labs in Atlanta.One is at the CDC.The other at Georgia State university..The only mention of the one in Boston says is "under construction".I guess this is old..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosafe...ety_facilities Currently operates in two buildings. One of two facilities in the world that officially hold smallpox
The American Cancer Society does major research work in Atlanta as well as having its Headquarters here.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-20-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,400,121 times
Atlanta has decided that it wants to be the center of nanotechnology. There is a huge push for that, and Georgia Tech is leading the way.
GT | Nanotechnology Research Center

The next BIG thing could be an HIV/AIDS vaccine, coming out of Emory.
Woodruff Health Sciences Center | Emory University | Atlanta, GA | Overview

BUT, I admit that Boston and the Bay Area are light years ahead of the rest of the Country in biotech research.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,846,028 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. The impression I was getting initially about the CDC was that it could be considered the SEC of the Healthcare sector, but it seems like it gets its hands a bit dirtier than the SEC does.

I don't think you're being a jerk whatsoever. I am really interested in the Life Science/Biotech Center (I still love Jurassic Park/Lost World/AnythingbyMichaelCrichton), but I hadn't really heard much about the CDC prior to this site. However, I'm glad to have learned a bit more about it.

I suppose I have a problem with thinking of Atlanta in the highest tier of Healthcare cities is the fact that I don't see any private support. Meaning: Boston has Beth Israel, Dana Farber, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham & Women's, and everything Harvard. We're also home to the Boston University BioTerrorism Laboratory. However, they also have private companies like Genzyme, Biogen Idec, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Boston Scientific, Novartis AG, Covidien, and the research labs for Abbott Laboratories. I just have a tough time saying that since Atlanta has the CDC (which again, is extremely important), it's just as important as Boston when it comes to healthcare. Houston and the TMC are extremely important (though they too seem to have a lack of private support), and the Bay Area is loaded to the brim with biotech companies (though their healthcare power seems to be purely from the private sector).

I may be rambling, but those are just my thoughts.
I don't know if this is the type of private support you're looking for and I'm not saying that Atlanta competes with Boston in this area, but some examples of healthcare in Atlanta:

1. Nationally-recognized Emory Healthcare, with several hospitals and clinics around the city including The Emory Clinic and Emory University Hospital.

2. Grady Health System, with Grady Hospital being a Level I trama center.

3. The Shepherd Center, a catastrophic care hospital that is considered one of the nation’s best rehabilitation hospitals for spinal cord injuries and disease, brain injuries, multiple sclerosis, etc.

4. Piedmont Healthcare, with Piedmont Hospital having one of the best digital healthcare information systems in the U.S.

5. Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, which includes Egleston Children's Hospital, Scotish Rite Children's Medical Center, and Hughes Spalding Children's Hospital. With more than half a million annual patient visits in 2008, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is one of the country’s leading pediatric healthcare providers.

6. Two highly-respected schools of medicine at Emory University and Morehouse College.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,491,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Research schools and hospitals that do research in Atlanta: Crawford Long Hospital,The Emory Clinic,Morehouse School of Medicine,Sheppard Spinal Center, Atlanta Center for Medical Research, a leader in the field of Clinical Research.Also Grady Hospital.One of the best hospitals for Trama in the U.S.

There are 2 BSL-4 labs in Atlanta.One is at the CDC.The other at Georgia State university..The only mention of the one in Boston says is "under construction".I guess this is old..Biosafety level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Currently operates in two buildings. One of two facilities in the world that officially hold smallpox
The American Cancer Society does major research work in Atlanta as well as having its Headquarters here.
That's odd...the link I showed said there were only three operational BSL-4 Labs in the nation. One in Atlanta, Frederick, MD, and San Antonio...it also mentioned the construction of the Galveston lab and the Boston lab (the link was from 2004)...I wonder if some of the other labs were decommissioned?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,846,028 times
Quote:
That's odd...the link I showed said there were only three operational BSL-4 Labs in the nation. One in Atlanta, Frederick, MD, and San Antonio...it also mentioned the construction of the Galveston lab and the Boston lab (the link was from 2004)...I wonder if some of the other labs were decommissioned?
I think the one at CDC is brand new...but I wasn't aware of this one at Georgia State University:

Quote:
The GSU Center, located in downtown Atlanta, was the first BSL-4 facility in the country operating in a university setting. Under the direction of Julia Hilliard, the goal of the laboratory's research is not only to diagnose viral diseases, but also to study the agents and use their infrastructure to design vaccines.

The B Virus laboratory had been located at the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research in San Antonio, Texas, and operations were proceeding well in the BSL-4 environment. However, space constraints limited the size of the staff to 10 people and restricted the amount of work that could be done.
Operating a BSL-4 Laboratory in a University Setting | Tradeline, Inc.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I edited it.I found the wiki article.Go back and re read my post.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,491,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Atlanta has decided that it wants to be the center of nanotechnology. There is a huge push for that, and Georgia Tech is leading the way.
GT | Nanotechnology Research Center

The next BIG thing could be an HIV/AIDS vaccine, coming out of Emory.
Woodruff Health Sciences Center | Emory University | Atlanta, GA | Overview

BUT, I admit that Boston and the Bay Area are light years ahead of the rest of the Country in biotech research.
Not to totally refute what you said about Nanotech, but it seems like Boston and the Bay have it on lockdown.

The New U.S. NanoMetro Economy

The Top 5 NanoTech Centers (according to them) are:
1. San Jose, CA
2. Boston, MA
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Oakland, CA
5. Middlesex-Essex, MA

When you look at the map provided, you get the impression that it's not even really all that close...The Bay and Boston are far, far ahead of anyone else.

That's good about the AIDS Vaccine though.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 PM

REPOST from another thread:We so easily forget that the nations defense is Vital.(Me having been in the Air Force for 15years,should have known to say this first.)LOL
On another note:I forgot to mention one MAJOR reason Atlanta is important:After the Pentagon is the-United States Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) is the Army's largest major command. Headquartered at Fort McPherson, Georgia, FORSCOM consists of more than 730,000 Active Army, U.S. Army Reserve, and Army National Guard soldiers. FORSCOM trains, mobilizes, deploys, and sustains combat ready forces capable of responding rapidly to crises world-wide. FORSCOM develops and cares for people, optimizes available resources, develops quality installations, and establishes major facilities to project power globally.The Pentagon is for paper work,but the call to action is handled here.

It also is: United States Army Reserve Command (USARC), headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. It commands all Army Reserve units in the continental United States, except those assigned to Special Operations Command. FORSCOM's Army Reserve strength stands at about 179,000 soldiers

Dobbins ARB:The most active Reserve base in the world.
Quote:
In 1995, Lockheed merged with Martin Marietta to become Lockheed-Martin. The C-130 Hercules remains in production 50 years after the first one rolled out in 1955. Work also continues on the F-22 Raptor and the Joint Strike Fighter.
Both are instrumental in our military defense.The "Hercules" is the most used airplane in the military.It is the largest airplane in use in the world.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not to totally refute what you said about Nanotech, but it seems like Boston and the Bay have it on lockdown.

1. San Jose, CA
2. Boston, MA
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Oakland, CA
5. Middlesex-Essex, MA

When you look at the map provided, you get the impression that it's not even really all that close...The Bay and Boston are far, far ahead of anyone else.
I agree,but DON'T be surprised within a VERY Short time Atlanta comes out of nowhere to be a real contender.I give it 5 years.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,400,121 times
Quote:

1. San Jose, CA
2. Boston, MA
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Oakland, CA
5. Middlesex-Essex, MA

WOW! By the looks of that map, it sure would appear so.

Looks like Tech has a lot of work to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City