Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the worst car traffic??
Los Angeles 94 58.39%
New York City 59 36.65%
Atlanta 48 29.81%
Washington, D.C. 54 33.54%
San Francisco 18 11.18%
Houston 30 18.63%
Miami 18 11.18%
Dallas 18 11.18%
Boston 11 6.83%
Detroit 5 3.11%
San Diego 3 1.86%
Other 20 12.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Which cities have the worst car traffic??
My ranking of the worst car traffic:
  1. Atlanta
  2. Los Angeles
  3. Boston
  4. Chicago
  5. Houston
  6. Washington, D.C.
  7. New York City
  8. San Francisco
  9. Miami
  10. Dallas
  11. Detroit
  12. San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Las Vegas - yes, I said LAS VEGAS.

Street / Highway planning are the worse.

65/70% of the employment works in one area (the strip)

24 hour a day town - 6 rush hours a day

One of the worst mass transit systems in the entire friggin' world

Awful - absolutely awful

Old 04-25-2009, 06:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Houston is my pick. I learned the hard way that you get UNDER THE SIGN the instant you see it the first time. They don't give you second chances.

St. Louis should be on there. Not bad traffic per se but something is ALWAYS under construction.

20yrsinBranson
Once you see your exit, you get your ass over or you will be missing it LOL

Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
LA by far,San Diego I Could handle their rush hour.
1.LA
2.Dc
3.Ny
4.Atl
5.Sf-Houston
Unfortunately San Diego isn't much better than LA & getting worse as SoCal becomes an uber-metropolis. I rarely drive to San Diego anymore since the Coastliner is faster\ quiet relaxation. One Thanksgiving it took over 4 hours to drive the 100 miles [we almost decided to turn around in San Clemente]. We arrive at the Solana Beach station & drive to Rancho Peñasquitos in 2 hrs from Union Station-LA. And the Bay Area is maddening also esp after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Now I stay at my brothers in San Jose & take BART into San Francisco in 40 minutes while the Bayshore freeway is a parking lot

Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Houston is my pick. I learned the hard way that you get UNDER THE SIGN the instant you see it the first time. They don't give you second chances.

St. Louis should be on there. Not bad traffic per se but something is ALWAYS under construction.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Once you see your exit, you get your ass over or you will be missing it LOL

They're plenty of exits in Houston. If you miss your exit, all you have to do is take the next exit and make a U-turn or you can go off-road by cutting through the grass! lol

Old 04-25-2009, 10:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
They're plenty of exits in Houston. If you miss your exit, all you have to do is take the next exit and make a U-turn or you can go off-road by cutting through the grass! lol
I know, but I'm just saying just ot save yourself the gas, get into the exit lane early lol.

I've had to resort to cutting through the grass a couple of times myself

Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Last time someone posted a link to one of those top 10 articles, I think DC and Atlanta were both ahead of LA. I've never driven in Atlanta, but I have in LA plenty of times and I now live in DC. Personally, DC traffic has been much worse in my opinion. Thankfully it has a great subway system that half of the people use. If it didn't I really don't know how the city would function. Only about 600k live in the city, but you have millions in the metro. So with all of those commuters and then the tourists there would be a lot of problems since the city itself is dense, but not very large.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
New York City by far..The horrific traffic in Manhattan is ignored by most visitors because of its reputation as a mass transporation mecca. However, ignore the great mass transportation system for a day and actually try driving in Manhattan.
It's taken me 2-3 hours or more just to drive 2-3 city BLOCKS (NOT MILES) in and around Manhattan.

LA, Atlanta and all the others are country roads with minor delays in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen
as bad as traffic is in places like los angeles, houston, and atlanta, there is nothing in those cities that can compare with the black hole that is midtown manhattan during rush hour or even midday. or, for that matter, traffic on the hudson river or east river crossings during rush hour (especially on friday afternoons/evenings during the summer).
QFT

Last edited by Lancer78; 04-26-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 PM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I've experienced Manhattan during rush hour & know the frustration of sitting in traffic slower than those walking down the street [way slower but that is actually quite common all over the nation's large cities [Philly\ DC\ Boston\ Cleveland\ Detroit\ Chicago\ Nashville\ Miami\ Atlanta\ Dallas\ Houston & on & on all across the U.S.

The difference for LA is that is what the freeways are almost every day
That's odd.. I've lived in both Chicago and Atlanta for many years.. I have also driven in most of the other cities you mentioned several times and NOTHING in any of those cities comes close to the horror which is Midtown/Lower Manhattan or its surrounding bridges/choke points.

It's a big difference to take 2 hours for what is normally a half hour drive (LA) than taking 2 hours for what is normally less than a 1-2 minute walk (Manhattan).

Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
That's odd.. I've lived in both Chicago and Atlanta for many years.. I have also driven in most of the other cities you mentioned several times and NOTHING in any of those cities comes close to the horror which is Midtown/Lower Manhattan or its surrounding bridges/choke points.

It's a big difference to take 2 hours for what is normally a half hour drive (LA) than taking 2 hours for what is normally less than a 1-2 minute walk (Manhattan).
Have you ever try I-90 and I-94 in Chicago anytime during a day?

Chicago roads are a one big parking lot. See below:

Chicago Sun Times

Traffic delays in Chicago are... driving us crazy
An extra 32 GALLONS of gas. More than $900 in additional expenses. 203 MILLION hours lost.

September 19, 2007
BY BEN GOLDBERGER Staff Reporter/bgoldberger@suntimes.com

...And for the fourth straight year, Chicago area drivers ranked second in the nation in the length of commuting delays. The Los Angeles region was the worst...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...ffic19.article

Last edited by dementor; 04-26-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City