Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have the worst car traffic??
Los Angeles 94 58.39%
New York City 59 36.65%
Atlanta 48 29.81%
Washington, D.C. 54 33.54%
San Francisco 18 11.18%
Houston 30 18.63%
Miami 18 11.18%
Dallas 18 11.18%
Boston 11 6.83%
Detroit 5 3.11%
San Diego 3 1.86%
Other 20 12.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
No... but it puts into perspective that people over-exaggerate about our drivers being so bad when they are not.
I have one better for you. Try driving in latin america.

What perspective? Why would you even compare the largest economy in the world to a developing country? What is the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 04:52 PM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
If even the New Yorkers are saying it isn't that bad, then it isn't that bad. They usually need to win at everything so I don't see why they would lie.
First, I was born and raised in NYC. It is REALLY bad by U.S. standards. Secondly, I don't really believe everything that people claim online...Finally, some particularly obsessed New Yorkers may deny anything bad with their city in order to keep their city in a positive light (as if that's not common on an online forum).

Quote:
Also, Manhattan is a small part of NYC. LA, DC, and Chicago have bad traffic EVERYWHERE. DC and Chicago also have a lot of people use public transit(especially DC) so you can't really use that excuse with NYC.
This is just not true at all. Try Cross Bronx Epwy. In fact the worst intersection in the US and the top 3 of 4 (according to Inrix) is found along here. The traffic in the boroughs, in general, is pretty bad although admittedly the worst is in and around Manhattan.

Man, I must have had the anti-traffic angel hovering over me all those times I have driven in and around Chicago.. I haven't been to LA, but Chicago and DC definitely do NOT have bad traffic everywhere. In fact, I thought I-90/94 was pretty smooth most hours of the day and the city traffic itself is bliss. It is true that Chicago has mass transport, although being nowhere near as extensive as NYCs, a larger percentage of Chicagoans drive cars than New Yorkers do.

Last edited by Lancer78; 04-26-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
What perspective? Why would you even compare the largest economy in the world to a developing country? What is the point?
I just told you.. It puts it in perspective. Perspective or not, I just don't find U.S. drivers to be bad at all and I was born and raised here.
I find that we tend to over-exaggerate how bad our drivers are and I find it pretty ridiculous. All IMHO.
Sure our drivers aren't perfect, but our driving infrastructure is way too organized to warrant so much complaining about how bad they supposedly are.

Last edited by Lancer78; 04-26-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
True. I'd also add Mumbai and Dubai to the list. Mexico City is pretty bad too.
That's right.. I forgot about Mumbai!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I just told you.. It puts it in perspective. Perspective or not, I just don't find U.S. drivers to be bad at all and I was born and raised here.
I find that we tend to over-exaggerate how bad our drivers are and I find it pretty ridiculous. All IMHO.
Sure our drivers aren't perfect, but our driving infrastructure is way too organized to warrant so much complaining about how bad they supposedly are.
That's a perspective to you? Is saying we are better in any aspect then people in Bangladesh or Ecuador flattering or a reason to be proud?

You want a decent comparison compare our drivers to those on Autobahn where despeite the lack of speed limit people manage to drive in an organized way. Compare our dirvers to those in Japan, Germany or France i.e. other DEVELOPED countries.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
.Finally, some particularly obsessed New Yorkers may deny anything bad with their city in order to keep their city in a positive light (as if that's not common on an online forum).

C'mon now. Nobody is saying that traffic in New York is easy or that there is no congestion. I am simply saying that living in New York and Chicago I feel New York is much more manageable.

Quote:
Man, I must have had the anti-traffic angel hovering over me all those times I have driven in and around Chicago...
It's a little different when you visit and a little different when you live somewhere and have to commute on a daily basis. From my experiences driving in Chicago is a nightmare no matter what causes that and yes, lack of extensive public transportation system (compared to New York) is one of the factors.

Again I posted a link to an article from Chicago Sun-Times claiming Chicago is number two in the nation in commute delays for four years in a row. That's pretty conclusive, isn't it?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
That's a perspective to you? Is saying we are better in any aspect then people in Bangladesh or Ecuador flattering or a reason to be proud?

You want a decent comparison compare our drivers to those on Autobahn where despeite the lack of speed limit people manage to drive in an organized way. Compare our dirvers to those in Japan, Germany or France i.e. other DEVELOPED countries.
Well, you mention how much better drivers are elsewhere in the country ... EXCEPT for Chicago --- So apparently, the United States, as a whole, isn't doing that bad.

I see things differently, however. I have driven all over the United States and I maintain that Chicago drivers really aren't much different than those in other U.S. cities. It is not like the air in Chicago makes people inept at driving unless you can find statistics to the contrary. IMHO, Chicago drivers are just fine.

Feel free to go on about how much worse Chicago drivers are than drivers elsewhere.. worse than in LA, Phoenix, Orlando and the like. Believe me, I hear the same stuff all the time here in Phoenix, with people saying over and over that the drivers here are the worst in the U.S... This is not the first time I here people claiming that the place they live in has the worst drivers (or even the worst traffic)... I used to hear the same thing also when I lived in Atlanta...and in Orlando...

Problem is.. They can't all be right and I realize that. It is human nature to complain that you have it worse than other people.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
C'mon now. Nobody is saying that traffic in New York is easy or that there is no congestion. I am simply saying that living in New York and Chicago I feel New York is much more manageable.
I don't deny that New York is more manageable because most people have the choice of using the excellent mass transport system but that doesn't negate the realities of how serious the traffic congestion is in the area for those unfortunate enough to drive in it everyday. Just because you choose to avoid the traffic doesn't mean that the bad traffic does not exist. Woe to those that have to drive or choose to drive in it everyday.

Quote:
It's a little different when you visit and a little different when you live somewhere and have to commute on a daily basis. From my experiences driving in Chicago is a nightmare no matter what causes that and yes, lack of extensive public transportation system (compared to New York) is one of the factors.
Commuting nightmares are common in many many cities around the U.S...not just Chicago and L.A. I had to commute from work 1.5-2+ hours everyday for what would normally be a 40 minute drive when I lived/worked in Orlando. And everyone complained about the traffic, yet, I never thought traffic was that bad and definitely nowhere near the level of NYC's.

Problem is that Manhattan traffic is bad ALL DAY and the waits are longer.. The traffic there isn't just bad at rush hour or for commutes unlike most other cities in the U.S.

Quote:
Again I posted a link to an article from Chicago Sun-Times claiming Chicago is number two in the nation in commute delays for four years in a row. That's pretty conclusive, isn't it?
And I gave you an article that showed that NY commuting delays is #1. What's the point?

Last edited by Lancer78; 04-26-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
That's what I mean. When you drive from Chicago to New York and as soon as you hit Ohio (northern Indiana is as bad as Chicago) you find people using the right lane if they drive slower than others and using blinkers to signal lane changes. It's like night and day. In Chicago the general rule is "I own this road and do not care about anybody else".
It has nothing to do with agressiveness but disregard not only for the laws but common sense. Although the City of Chicago has a ban on cell phone use while driving almost every Chicagoan feels compelled to call someome as soon as they get behind the wheel.
I agree. I drove from Milwaukee to DC a couple weeks ago. The drive was soooo easy once I got about halfway through Indiana. Then Ohio and Pennsylvania were amazingly easy to drive through until I got to Maryland. Even when the highway was only two lanes for awhile in Pennsylvania it was easy. Everyone that was slower was in the right lane. Then if someone wanted to pass, cars would courteously move over.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Well, you mention how much better drivers are elsewhere in the country ... EXCEPT for Chicago --- So apparently, the United States, as a whole, isn't doing that bad.

I see things differently, however. I have driven all over the United States and I maintain that Chicago drivers really aren't much different than those in other U.S. cities. It is not like the air in Chicago makes people inept at driving unless you can find statistics to the contrary. IMHO, Chicago drivers are just fine.

Feel free to go on about how much worse Chicago drivers are than drivers elsewhere.. worse than in LA, Phoenix, Orlando and the like. Believe me, I hear the same stuff all the time here in Phoenix, with people saying over and over that the drivers here are the worst in the U.S... This is not the first time I here people claiming that the place they live in has the worst drivers (or even the worst traffic)... I used to hear the same thing also when I lived in Atlanta...and in Orlando...

Problem is.. They can't all be right and I realize that. It is human nature to complain that you have it worse than other people.
I've recently started ignoring Dementor and his comments and focus on other people instead... it helps. Everything he says has to do with Chicago and NYC (which make absolutely no sense)

Trust me, 95% of the people on this board (and everyone with common sense) agrees with you.

There's no point in arguing with trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City