Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,203,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacher09 View Post
I beg to differ. I bet you could find tens of thousands that would say those exact words.
You are correct. For the most part, people in Raleigh love their city. In many ways, those who have moved to the city are its biggest fans. I think I am correct in saying that, within all the city data forums, the Triangle's forum is the most active forum within the state whose forum has the most activity.

I have lived in Raleigh (full or part time) for more than 35 years and will always call it home: even though I was born on the West Coast of Midwestern parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
Urban. It's not the lack of a skyline that causes Raleigh to loose points with me. Bars and clubs don't interest me. Raleigh is indeed a very nice midsized city. I might even retire there one day. It just that it lacks something. Maybe it's urban core is just way too small for a city that size. Now, I really enjoyed Charlotte's uptown when I lived there. That is something Raleigh should strive for then it would be a complete package.
I think it's valid to make such observations about your experiences with Raleigh. But, I'm curious if you have been to Raleigh lately? The thing about this city is that it's growing crazy fast including its downtown neighborhoods. The city has made a huge investment in DT over the last decade and the results are showing. Had it not been for the national recession, I'd suspect that change would be happening at a blazing pace now. As it stands, some of that change has slowed a bit. Nonetheless, DT continues to emerge with more street life, places to go, new residents, commercial projects, etc. Tonight I met friends for dinner at Sitti, a new Lebanese restaurant right in the city center. To my surprise, there were quite a few people out on a Tuesday night in that immediate neighborhood.
Several new condo buildings have opened DT in the last 3 years and the street life is awakening because of it. It's been fascinating to watch.

Raleigh/Wake Co. continues to be the recipient of tens of thousands of new residents each year. According to a recent demographic study, the breakdown in new residents is 37% natural increase, 37% national migration and 26% international migration. This latest year, the Raleigh/Cary metro was the fastest growing metro in the nation. The growth rate in the metro and the city is at or near the top nationally, year after year after year. Even if just a fraction of these new residents pursue urban living, it's just a matter of time before the final piece of the puzzle is set. In the meantime, the changes happening before our eyes continue to enrichen those of us who have made DT Raleigh home for the last decade or more.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 06-23-2009 at 10:23 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,364,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You are correct. For the most part, people in Raleigh love their city. In many ways, those who have moved to the city are its biggest fans. I think I am correct in saying that, within all the city data forums, the Triangle's forum is the most active forum within the state whose forum has the most activity.

I have lived in Raleigh (full or part time) for more than 35 years and will always call it home: even though I was born on the West Coast of Midwestern parents.
Not true, metro Charlotte is the most active.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 PM

294 posts, read 782,922 times
Quote:
I think it's valid to make such observations about your experiences with Raleigh. But, I'm curious if you have been to Raleigh lately? The thing about this city is that it's growing crazy fast including its downtown neighborhoods. The city has made a huge investment in DT over the last decade and the results are showing. Had it not been for the national recession, I'd suspect that change would be happening at a blazing pace now. As it stands, some of that change has slowed a bit. Nonetheless, DT continues to emerge with more street life, places to go, new residents, commercial projects, etc. Tonight I met friends for dinner at Sitti, a new Lebanese restaurant right in the city center. To my surprise, there were quite a few people out on a Tuesday night in that immediate neighborhood.
Several new condo buildings have opened DT in the last 3 years and the street life is awakening because of it. It's been fascinating to watch.

Raleigh/Wake Co. continues to be the recipient of tens of thousands of new residents each year. According to a recent demographic study, the breakdown in new residents is 37% natural increase, 37% national migration and 26% international migration. This latest year, the Raleigh/Cary metro was the fastest growing metro in the nation. The growth rate in the metro and the city is at or near the top nationally. Even if just a fraction of these new residents persue an urban environment, it's just a matter of time before the final piece of the puzzle is set. In the meantime, the changes happening before our eyes continue to enrichen those of us who have made DT Raleigh home for the last decade or more.
Last time I was in Raleigh DT was about 3 years ago. If Raleigh can develop more street life, retail and residence and other attractions that bring people downtown it would be an awesome place. I would move there tomorrow. Raleigh has just about everything else going for it except a solid urban core, which would do a whole lot of good for that city.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
To me Raleigh is ok, but it doesn't have the great urban waterfront amenity that it would take to make my favorite 2nd tier southern city list. There is just something special that a developed urban watefront adds to a city that cities without one find it difficult to find something comparable. But I think Raleigh does deserve a lot of credit for the extensiveness of its bike trail system. I think that puts it ahead of a lot of other 2nd tier cities that have neither a nice urban waterfront nor extensive bike trails leading into the downtown area. As a matter of fact, I think Raleigh is even competitive with Charlotte in terms of quality of life.
You nailed exactly what I would like to see in DT Raleigh...WATER!!! As part of a city charrette last year, citizens participated in a project called Big Ideas Raleigh. I was pleased to see that one of them was to open up a piped up creek that runs through a part of DT and create a river walk type environment along its banks. I am not sure if that will happen or not because it's too hilly to even try to "train" such a creek to go where it would really have the most impact. The very center of the city sits on slightly higher flat piece of ground than the more rolling hills around it. Nonetheless, I am glad to see citizens address the need for some sort of water in DT. We'll just have to wait to see what happens. I am certain that the city will achieve what it intends. It has a good track record. The extensive greenway system and parks & recreation department are a good example.

In the end, Raleigh is not a city where one goes as a tourist. It's a place where people go to live. And, it's also a city that lulls most of its residents into a love affair with it. Here are some links about one of the two cities that I love.

City of Raleigh | Greenway Trail System (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_209_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Greenway_Trails/Cat-Index.html - broken link)
About :: District Logos :: Downtown Raleigh
Glenwood South Raleigh - Overview of Glenwood South Raleigh
Raleigh, N.C. - New York Times
Raleigh Big Ideas Charrette Update | New Raleigh

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not true, metro Charlotte is the most active.
As of right now....

The Triangle forum is at 231,347 posts
Charlotte is at 221,091 posts

North Carolina is at 546,777
Texas is second at 534,722
Florida is third at 329,321

You better get typing!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
Last time I was in Raleigh DT was about 3 years ago. If Raleigh can develop more street life, retail and residence and other attractions that bring people downtown it would be an awesome place. I would move there tomorrow. Raleigh has just about everything else going for it except a solid urban core, which would do a whole lot of good for that city.
Much has changed in three years. Some of the housing changes DT since then include:

The Plaza Condos | Downtown Raleigh, NC
http://www.712tucker.com/apartments/renderings/
West | Downtown Raleigh Condominiums and Lofts at Glenwood South, Condos Raleigh, NC
222 Glenwood - Home
HUe | Downtown Raleigh NC Condominiums
Blount Street Commons - Raleigh, NC

Public projects of interest in the last three years include:
Livable Streets - Fayetteville Street Renaissance (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_200_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/project/public/livable_streets/Fayetteville.htm - broken link)
Welcome to the Raleigh Convention Center

Here are some of my favorite new places DT in the last 3 years:
Welcome To Solas
The Raleigh Times Bar
Sitti - Authentic Lebanese Restaurant
Welcome to Gravy with Bella Monica - 135 Wilmington Street Raleigh, North Carolina 27601
Brooklyn Heights Bar Coming to Glenwood South | New Raleigh
Mosaic Wine et Lounge - Welcome to Mosaic Wine Lounge

Coming soon in anticipation...
Noir Bar & Lounge

The city is making huge progress toward its future. It's not NY, Miami, Chicago and it never will be. But, it's making huge strides like its bigger sister city in the state: Charlotte.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 12,364,987 times
Quote:
As of right now....

The Triangle forum is at 231,347 posts
Charlotte is at 221,091 posts

North Carolina is at 546,777
Texas is second at 534,722
Florida is third at 329,321

You better get typing!
My exact words were "metro Charlotte is the most active". Now go to the South Carolina forum, and add the 12,000 posts from York and Lancaster counties. Compare Charlotte's ENTIRE metro to the ENTIRE Triangle and see what you get.

You better get typing!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My exact words were "metro Charlotte is the most active". Now go to the South Carolina forum, and add the 12,000 posts from York and Lancaster counties. Compare Charlotte's ENTIRE metro to the ENTIRE Triangle and see what you get.

You better get typing!
Metro Charlotte is not a Forum. I claimed that the Triangle Forum was most active. It is.

All needling aside, the two forums are the most active in the nation. That's a pretty strong accomplishment for NC.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 06-24-2009 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,982,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, whatever...just relating my friends' experience on the move...
My bad. Miami just gets dumped on ALOT on these forums. Even by the same southerners who complain about THERE cities being dumped on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City