Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
New York City 64 26.02%
Los Angeles 170 69.11%
None of them 12 4.88%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Nice post! Lol yeah NYC's weather is identical to Chicago's.

\.
errrrb... I disagree. Chicago's weather is BRUTAL.... NY is actually in a perfect location to have milder winters than most northern cities on a day to day basis. Still cold, but Chi is a diffrent animal.

NY is 5-10 degrees warmer than Chicago's on average, and Chicago's blizzards are nothing to mess with

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Comfort is, of-course, relative to individual preference. But I believe the typical person prefers a mild to warm climate. The issue of comparing climates is being discussed on the Chicago versus Los Angeles thread so I have the data handy.

The difference between the coldest and warmest months is 47 degrees in NYC compared to only 17 degrees in Los Angeles. Coldest month for both cities is January. Average maximum in New York is 36F while average January maximum is 68F in LA. Hottest month of the year is July in New York at 83F while August is the hottest month in Los Angeles at 85F.

New York has a typical continental U.S. climate of cold winters w/ regular rainfall or snow. Los Angeles experiences a southern Mediterranean winter of mild sunny days with occasional rainfall. Summers in New York are fairly humid and warm with occasional storms. Summers in LA are dry & warm w/ virtually no rainfall.

Average Weather for New York, NY - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Los Angeles, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
NYC's average maximum for January is actually 40 degrees and July's is 85-87 degrees (varies from source to source/location to location). Also isn't LA's average high in the mid-70's in July? But I guess it depends on location like NYC. There's also more rain than snow in the Winter.

Also NYC doesn't have a typical Humid Continental climate, its actually the Northernmost major city in North America to have a Humid Subtropical climate, sounds weird but its true.

With that said I choose LA's climate, not by the coast though. NYC is only nice in Summer & Spring imo.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
errrrb... I disagree. Chicago's weather is BRUTAL.... NY is actually in a perfect location to have milder winters than most northern cities on a day to day basis. Still cold, but Chi is a diffrent animal.

NY is 5-10 degrees warmer than Chicago's on average, and Chicago's blizzards are nothing to mess with
No I meant in the sense that they both have winters where as LA doesn't.

Plus I really do think Chicago's winters are a bit over played on CD, I honestly think it's not as bad as most say it is. Yeah it's harsh but people make it sound like this is Siberia or something...

Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,156,338 times
I live in the LA area...about 5 miles inland from the beach. The weather is very nice and far from what I would call hot. I joke that it's like Ground Hog Day here (the movie) because it's sunny and blue skies with 68-74 degrees almost every day!

It always seems to be in the low to mid 50s at night and upper 60s to mid 70s during the day, even into part of the summer. Humidity is non existant so even if it does get into the low to mid 80s, it never feels oppressive. I never turned the a/c on here until about the end of July last year, and it never had to stay on for very long. The windows are open all the time, even into summer.

The winter, if you can say that, had lows in the mid 40s to low 60s for highs..sometimes it rained and the temps stayed in the upper 50s..brrrrr...
I don't live in the canyon areas so no worries about mudslides in the winter or wild fires during the summer. Those areas in the canyons are gorgeous with terrific views, but you have to be conscious of the slides or fires in a few areas so it's a trade off.

I lived in NYC for 8 years and loved it...lived in Chicago for 3 years and loved it too. I don't handle humidity well anymore but I enjoy seeing snow and don't mind cold temperatures. However, if I want to experience that here in the LA region, I only have to drive an hour and twenty minutes to reach the mountains and Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
I just took a screen shot of my screen displaying the poll, this is the first time I've seen NYC lose the poll on something on City-Data!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM

I just saw it says I voted for NYC, there's no way in the world if its against a warmer climate. Now vs London, Seattle, Chicago, etc. then yes but not LA lol.

Weather-wise NYC's Summer pwns LA's because I like heat & thunderstorms but for Fall & Winter I pick LA without a doubt, for Spring they're about tied.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
NYC's average maximum for January is actually 40 degrees and July's is 85-87 degrees (varies from source to source/location to location). Also isn't LA's average high in the mid-70's in July? But I guess it depends on location like NYC. There's also more rain than snow in the Winter.

Also NYC doesn't have a typical Humid Continental climate, its actually the Northernmost major city in North America to have a Humid Subtropical climate, sounds weird but its true.

With that said I choose LA's climate, not by the coast though. NYC is only nice in Summer & Spring imo.
I doubled checked [actually I quatripled checked] since there can be differences among stations but for NYC they were essentially all the same. But in Los Angeles there is considerable difference during summer. You are correct about 70's during summer but that is right at the water's edge [Los Angeles Airport has a spread from 65F in January to 76F in July\ August - that is an amazingly short thermometer]. But in other areas within the city limits of Los Angeles summers are in the 90's due to the mountains blocking the cooling Pacific air [Woodland Hills averages 68F in January and 96F in August]. I don't think there is another U.S. city where afternoon temps can regularly be 20 degrees different. That's why downtown LA normally represents the mean and used for official readings.

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Climate in New York City - Citidex New York City

New York Weather & Climate Information

Climate Summary

Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I doubled checked [actually I quatripled checked] since there can be differences among stations but for NYC they were essentially all the same. But in Los Angeles there is considerable difference during summer. You are correct about 70's during summer but that is right at the water's edge [Los Angeles Airport has a spread from 65F in January to 76F in July\ August - that is an amazingly short thermometer]. But in other areas within the city limits of Los Angeles summers are in the 90's due to the mountains blocking the cooling Pacific air [Woodland Hills averages 68F in January and 96F in August]. I don't think there is another U.S. city where afternoon temps can regularly be 20 degrees different. That's why downtown LA normally represents the mean and used for official readings.

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Climate in New York City - Citidex New York City

New York Weather & Climate Information

Climate Summary
Yeah sorry about that, I forgot that they use Central Park for NYC's "official" averages, its cooler since its a large park. It should be different imo because I remember just this Winter parts of Staten Island got a foot of snow while Central Park got a coating-1 inch.

Anyways just 2 other locations:

Laguardia Airport (84/85-70/71):
Daily Averages for La Guardia Airport, NY

Staten Island (86/87-69/70):
Daily Averages for Staten Island, NY

I like MSN weather because it also shows the individual dates.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
I voted New York City.

New York City is a much better city than Los Angeles in so many ways. I hated Los Angeles when I went there, except for Santa Monica, Venice Beach, and Topanga/Malibu. But thats not even technically Los Angeles, except for Venice Beach.

Even their weather is overrated. A lot of people there would go insane if they didnt find a good reason to make up for staying there and that is the weather. Smog, high pollution days in the valley. Forest fire smoke. Almost eternal dryness. Lack of trees. I dont see what so many people see in LA. Hot temperatures so much of the year. Like 1% of the population there lives right on the coast, and has to deal with those horrible weather days.

I never understand why anyone is into places like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. However, I do like San Diego and San Francisco, but not nearly as much as places like New York, Seattle, and Montreal. And I even like the weather a lot of the time in Seattle, Montreal, and New York.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
I voted New York City.

New York City is a much better city than Los Angeles in so many ways. I hated Los Angeles when I went there, except for Santa Monica, Venice Beach, and Topanga/Malibu. But thats not even technically Los Angeles, except for Venice Beach.

Even their weather is overrated. A lot of people there would go insane if they didnt find a good reason to make up for staying there and that is the weather. Smog, high pollution days in the valley. Forest fire smoke. Almost eternal dryness. Lack of trees. I dont see what so many people see in LA. Hot temperatures so much of the year. Like 1% of the population there lives right on the coast, and has to deal with those horrible weather days.

I never understand why anyone is into places like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. However, I do like San Diego and San Francisco, but not nearly as much as places like New York, Seattle, and Montreal. And I even like the weather a lot of the time in Seattle, Montreal, and New York.
"Lack of trees" LA has much more vegetation [trees\ plants\ flowers\ grass] that grows all year long! Whole blocks in New York are devoid of any trees or plants and during winter every thing is bare and lifeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City