Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,935,470 times

Advertisements

Neiman Marcus Group - Store Locations

I don't have much time this morning, but where is White Plains on this list? I know there's a store there, but it must fall under the "Clearance Centers and Others" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM

37,273 posts, read 39,586,354 times
The topic asks for the best culture, food, and quality of life which means there's a lot of room for personal tastes.

White Plains also has a ridiculously big skyline for a city of its population size. For the kind of things this topic asks, it's possible and possibly reasonable for someone to choose White Plains over any of the three options.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Neiman Marcus Group - Store Locations

I don't have much time this morning, but where is White Plains on this list? I know there's a store there, but it must fall under the "Clearance Centers and Others" category.
They do list Westchester, NY.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,935,470 times
I've been to the one in Northbrook (outside of Chicago), and was surprised it was so big for a suburban store. My favorite mall in Chicago is the Oak Brook Mall, and the store there is a smaller than the one at Northbrook.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,370,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
The entire Chicago boostersim is like heroin-induced hallucination or rather mass-hysteria fueled by deep inferiority complex. Chicago US capital of food? Then how come Chicago restuarants score so poorely in anyratings of world's retsuarants, well behind NYC, LA and SF.
Where is the proof? From a restaurant and overall food city perspective, obviously NYC is rated the highest in the US. Chicago and SF are on the same level;arguments can be made either way. LA has a good scene. So your arguments about Chicago being well behind are false.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM

398 posts, read 1,041,708 times
Quote:
Also, White Plains is more vibrant than Chicago????? Maybe you need to prove that.
Obviously a suburb like White Plains does not offer everything that Chicago offers, and cannot be directly compared. So yeah, Chicago is more vibrant, but we are really comparing apples and oranges.

My point was that he was making cracks about White Plains, which is one of the most urban, vibrant and successful suburbs in the nation.

Lombard is a nothing suburb of Chicago. White Plains has a downtown that is actually stronger than those of major American cities. It's no joke.

And in terms of desirability, look at residential prices.

White Plains, which basically only has smaller homes and apartments, has a median sales price of $800,000. It probably compares favorably to any neighborhood within the city of Chicago. I don't even think the Gold Coast would have higher prices on a per square foot basis.

The only Chicago suburbs with higher median sales prices are Winnetka and Kenilworth, and they are tiny and have very large homes.

Oh, and White Plains isn't even considered upscale Westchester County. Compare prices in Winnetka or Kenilworth to Scarsdale, Bedford, Bronxville, Rye, or Purchase.

Or for even bigger differences, compare Winnetka or Kenilworth to Manhattan, Greenwich, CT, Alpine, NJ or the Hamptons.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM

318 posts, read 321,827 times
Quote:
One person said that - hardly the viewpoint of most. I would say that it's misguided to assume every "Midwestern Homer" believes that. Your posts are wrought with stereotypes and this doesn't lend to anyone's credibility when they are so biased.

I asked for the poster to prove that these stores are bigger and better in White Plains than in Chicago, and that hasn't been proven. I don't care if they are or they aren't, but you can't make a statement like that without following up with proof. The article on White Plains was nice, but it didn't prove anything. Also, White Plains is more vibrant than Chicago????? Maybe you need to prove that.
Sure. I have seen enought posts from you to have an opinion. As far as the stores are concerned... Well, do some research but anyways suburban White Plains having as many big department stores as the great city of Chicago? That's kind puts quality of Chicago stores in perspective, doesn't it?
You Chicago homers made over a thousand of ridiculous claims about Chicago's culture, art, vibrancy shopping or food, none of which have any representation in reality and made you look really stupid. Where is the eveidence of Chicago being vibrant or cultured? All we know is that your crime rates higher than those of LA and New York and population shrinks... Is this a profe of city's greatness? Try again and think twice because you can come up after not only New York and LA but also other cities including suburban White Plains, again.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM

318 posts, read 321,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Where is the proof? From a restaurant and overall food city perspective, obviously NYC is rated the highest in the US. Chicago and SF are on the same level;arguments can be made either way. LA has a good scene. So your arguments about Chicago being well behind are false.
My comments are based on my observations. The fact that the chef from Alinea was trained in California and makes excellent food does not change the food landscape of the entire city. As in most of Midwest most of Chicago food is way too greasy greasy and heavy, there is nothing exciting about it as opposed to Cali's fusion cuisine, for instance. Comparing Chicago's food scene to New York's is simply a joke as the city is a host to more internationally renowned restuarants than any other place in the the world:
Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And besides the really famed ones offers gems such as Peter Luger (Williamsburg) which is by many considered the best steak house in the country. Calling Chicago the US capitol of food as coldwine unfortunately did is simply laughable. GI you live in New York now, right? That the L train to Bedford, check out some some other good restaurants there, there is more good food in Williamsburg than in entire Chicago.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,559,110 times
tfc, you are off the wall man... how much time have you spent in Chicago, honestly. It's one thing to hate on the weather/politics/crime... but everything else you are saying... Hard to take seriously.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,805,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
My comments are based on my observations. The fact that the chef from Alinea was trained in California and makes excellent food does not change the food landscape of the entire city. As in most of Midwest most of Chicago food is way too greasy greasy and heavy, there is nothing exciting about it as opposed to Cali's fusion cuisine, for instance. Comparing Chicago's food scene to New York's is simply a joke as the city is a host to more internationally renowned restuarants than any other place in the the world:
Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And besides the really famed ones offers gems such as Peter Luger (Williamsburg) which is by many considered the best steak house in the country. Calling Chicago the US capitol of food as coldwine unfortunately did is simply laughable. GI you live in New York now, right? That the L train to Bedford, check out some some other good restaurants there, there is more good food in Williamsburg than in entire Chicago.
I think it's pretty obvious Dementor that New York City takes the cake at being the best restaurant city in the country. But your claims about Chicago are so hilariously false and ignorant that it makes me more proud to have ties to the city.

Chicago is not the US capital of food, but it's arguably #2, and that's certainly not a far fetched statement. As to your claims about Chicagoans not being able to back anything up, I have yet to see you do the same. The Wiki article on restaurants you provided proves you right on New York, but wrong on Chicago. I read the 2008 and 2007 list and saw that the only other US cities that were mentioned for having the best restaurants in the world other than New York were Chicago and various ones in California.

Keep on talking about how the New York suburbs have more vibrancy and urbanity than Chicago. That picture of White Plains looks so much more urban and vibrant than Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City