Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
Yeah, house music - which is international and huge in euro clubs now started here as well. So did organized spoken word. Jazz and Blues have their Chicago counterparts, and is pretty influential as well. But yeah, nothing compared to beatniks and hippies, what additions they've made to our culture geez. And fo shizzle or sheezy? Snoop was saying, "put these bizalls in ya jizaws and tell em what you sizaw" yadayada in '92. But such a huge cultural addition anyways, wow.

Johntremaine obviously doesnt know what he's talking about here. I posted this in another thread, but its the exact same topic, so it applies here as well:

Any other major city in the US can provide a similar list in comparison to the OP (or SF). Cities like Philly, Boston, even Houston. And of course LA, and Hollywood which filters all of our media and film in some way.

Just a sample for my city, Chicago: home of SKYSCRAPERS!!! (would cities even look the same today?), Chicago Architectural style, Frank Loyd Wright - most influential architect in US history, hotdog & pizza styles, italian beef sandwich, Greek american food like Gyros and saganaki (maybe youve eaten one?), organized gangs from Capone to the original mega street gangs P-stones, GDs and Vicelords (around before Crips and Bloods), the actual method for creating the atomic bomb (first splitting of atom) was accomplished in U of Chi, creation of House Music, modern Blues, rappers like Da Brat, Twista, Lupe, Kanye and Common, various Rock Bands, Biggest influential R&B star of 90-00's- R Kelly, Spoken word was developed here!, Improv comedy (SNL originated in Chi), Major Ballet and Theatre, Silent film (Hollywood started in the south loop Chi before moving to LA) .......................blah blah blah. Barack Obama. blah blah blah...........

Im sure LA has a huge list of influential movements, people, creations and accomplishments that changed US culture; as does Philly or Boston. DC is the home of our US government for cristsakes! And NYCs list is even longer. So what? No one else on this board is claiming their city is the most influential, except people from SF for some reason. Please get over it. Yes its a beautiful city, and a great model for US urbanity, and is influential, but the most or even second-most? Please. We are not impressed.
Not start a fight but you couldnt have gone far with that without the Modern Elevator(which was created in NY) just having some fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM

85 posts, read 166,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Not start a fight but you couldnt have gone far with that without the Modern Elevator(which was created in NY) just having some fun
Actually the first elevator was invented in Chicago anlong with the first skyscraper.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hour View Post
Actually the first elevator was invented in Chicago anlong with the first skyscraper.
Not true

Quote:
Henry Waterman of New York is credited with inventing the "standing rope control" for an elevator in 1850.[2]
In 1852, Elisha Otis introduced the safety elevator, which prevented the fall of the cab if the cable broke. The design of the Otis safety elevator is somewhat similar to one type still used today. A governor device engages knurled roller(s), locking the elevator to its guides should the elevator descend at excessive speed. He demonstrated it at the New York exposition in the Crystal Palace in 1854.
Quote:
On March 23, 1857 the first Otis passenger elevator was installed at 488 Broadway in New York City. The first elevator shaft preceded the first elevator by four years. Construction for Peter Cooper's Cooper Union building in New York began in 1853.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM

85 posts, read 166,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Not true
I should reasearch before I post I sound so ignorant.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
Just a sample for my city, Chicago: home of SKYSCRAPERS!!! (would cities even look the same today?), Chicago Architectural style, Frank Loyd Wright - most influential architect in US history, hotdog & pizza styles, italian beef sandwich, Greek american food like Gyros and saganaki (maybe youve eaten one?), organized gangs from Capone to the original mega street gangs P-stones, GDs and Vicelords (around before Crips and Bloods), the actual method for creating the atomic bomb (first splitting of atom) was accomplished in U of Chi, creation of House Music, modern Blues, rappers like Da Brat, Twista, Lupe, Kanye and Common, various Rock Bands, Biggest influential R&B star of 90-00's- R Kelly, Spoken word was developed here!, Improv comedy (SNL originated in Chi), Major Ballet and Theatre, Silent film (Hollywood started in the south loop Chi before moving to LA) .......................blah blah blah. Barack Obama. blah blah blah...........
That;s why I love Chicago. If you would let them they would take credit for inventing the wheel. Let's see: original Hollywood? Nuh. It was New York. Gyro? Nuh. It came from Greece. Blues? Nuh. Came from the south.
SNL? Nuh. It was always based in New York with performers from different parts of the country but mostly New York. Organized gangs? Nuh. AL Capone was a New Yorker who came to Chicago to organize it. Major ballet and theater? New York beat Chicago in this aspect hands down.
Who is dellusional here?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
That;s why I love Chicago. If you would let them they would take credit for inventing the wheel. Let's see: original Hollywood? Nuh. It was New York. Gyro? Nuh. It came from Greece. Blues? Nuh. Came from the south.
SNL? Nuh. It was always based in New York with performers from different parts of the country but mostly New York. Organized gangs? Nuh. AL Capone was a New Yorker who came to Chicago to organize it. Major ballet and theater? New York beat Chicago in this aspect hands down.
Who is dellusional here?
I'm sure nothing has ever been invented in Chicago, right? Anyway, I think it's delusional to think that everything about Chicago sucks.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm sure nothing has ever been invented in Chicago, right? Anyway, I think it's delusional to think that everything about Chicago sucks.

If so many things were actually invented in Chicago you would not have to falsely claim credit for the things that were not...C'mon. Hot-dog? Gyro? Blues? Organized Gangs? Hollywood?. Did you invent water, too?

What I think really suck are the pompous claims of Chicago greatness...

Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
^^^^ stay n topic people
btw. la is second imo but the bay...i'd personally put it at third overall

p.s. No offense, but all of u guys using fosheezy need to slap yo selves. That word has been played out for years. NOBODY USES IT!! That may have worked in 2001 but once little white boys from the suburbs started to think they were "gangsta" by saying fosheezy it automatically became LAME! But if u futhermuckers still use on a daly basis...i dont know what to say
the bay is influencial but not because people say "fosheezy"

if its still popular in the bay however well just FYI..it went out in like 02-03

-mas23-

Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
This thread is just so typical of tons of people you really meet in the bay area. All pride, no integrity. All they can do is brag to convince themselves they are worth something. Sad.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Electric Blues was developed in Chicago by fellas the most famous of whom are Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Willie Dixon. You see, the Illinois Central was the railroad people from Mississippi, Arkansas, western Tennessee and Louisiana used when they moved north during the Great Migration. And the IC runs to Chicago. Thus Chicago electric Blues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City