Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 AM

177 posts, read 479,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastremainderz View Post
Tupac released his first 3 albums in the bay area, two of which went multi-platinum. He was already very famous when he moved to LA. As the quotes earlier in the thread showed, he viewed the bay areas as home, as where his roots are. get it?
Yeah and he also said he loved new york in documentaries, and that he grew up there and in Baltimore. So what? My point was how can one argue Barack Obama is not a Chicagoan, and then at the same time claim Pac was from Oakland or Marin City? Its stupid. If Barack is not a chicagoan, then Pac is not from the Bay area! Thats my point.

I bought his first album when it came out in '92, he was my favorite music artist. I know who the ef he is. He was an east coast guy who moved to the west coast Bay Area and started his career there. His roots are all over the country though. He lived in numerous places over the years.

But yeah, If he is from anywhere, then its whatever he says, which was the Bay area most of the time, I admit. And his first three albums were nowhere near as commercially big as 'All Eyez on Me' ('Strictly 4 ...' and 'Me Against the World' sold well, but they didnt go multiplatinum til after he died), released when he moved to LA and joined suge and death row, which is what I meant.

People just need to quit saying Barack is not from Chicago, when he literally, represented it (in Gov for some 16 years), and created his family, career (started some 28 years ago), and still has a home in the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
18Montclair, you insulted the world's renowned scholars. They will come and get you j/k

Professor Fan Gang, Director, National Economic Research Institute, Beijing
Manu Bhaskaran, Partner/Head, Economic Research, Centennial Group, Singapore
Dr. Michael Goldberg, Professor Emeritus, Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia
Professor William Lever, Emeritus Professor of Urban Studies, University of Glasgow
Professor Maurice D. Levi, Chair of Bank of Montreal Professor of International Finance, University of British Columbia
Dr. Anthony Pellegrini, Partner/ Director of the Urban and Infrastructure Policy and Finance Practice, Centennial Group, Washington, DC
Dr. Saskia Sassen, Ralph Lewis Professor of Sociology, University of Chicago and Centennial Visiting Professor, London School of Economics
Professor Peter J. Taylor, Co-Director, Globalization and World Cities Research Group and Network, Loughborough University, UK

New MasterCard Worldwide Research Explores Strategic Role of Cities in Driving Global Commerce - with video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is a ranking that quantifies such unimportant things as hotels and the like. Sorry.

[/url]

Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
boastful threads like these are the same as boastful threads ala Chicago... neither have anything on NYC... I love Chicago and SF...but lets be real...
Cities like these give people not from there a bad impression of people from those cities being elitist...when if you actually live there, and I have lived in both, it isn't really like that.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

85 posts, read 166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
how about more reasons- SF can't be #2 because of people using fosheezy
I think that phrase originated from Snoop Dogg who's from Long Beach.

Fosheezy all up in the heezy you beezy that's deafinitly Snoop.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 PM

210 posts, read 845,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hour View Post

No it is not snoop. Snoop is the first one to make it popular in the mainstream. That slang originated in the bay. Jus another example of how people bite off the bay.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM

105 posts, read 373,797 times
Nope, Snoop ripped it off from E-40.

Quote:

Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
As I said, SF and the Bay Area far surpasses Chicagoland in terms of cultural influence.

How has Chicago been culturally influential in any way? Ever?

What kind of cultural movement, music scene, etc. has ever come out of Chicago?
Jazz, blues that's my guess

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
Nope, Snoop ripped it off from E-40.
^^ are you guys serious?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM

210 posts, read 845,685 times
Quote:
^^ are you guys serious?
Yup, thats a fact.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM

177 posts, read 479,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine
As I said, SF and the Bay Area far surpasses Chicagoland in terms of cultural influence.

How has Chicago been culturally influential in any way? Ever?

What kind of cultural movement, music scene, etc. has ever come out of Chicago?

Jazz, blues that's my guess
Yeah, house music - which is international and huge in euro clubs now started here as well. So did organized spoken word. Jazz and Blues have their Chicago counterparts, and is pretty influential as well. But yeah, nothing compared to beatniks and hippies, what additions they've made to our culture geez. And fo shizzle or sheezy? Snoop was saying, "put these bizalls in ya jizaws and tell em what you sizaw" yadayada in '92. But such a huge cultural addition anyways, wow.

Johntremaine obviously doesnt know what he's talking about here. I posted this in another thread, but its the exact same topic, so it applies here as well:

Any other major city in the US can provide a similar list in comparison to the OP (or SF). Cities like Philly, Boston, even Houston. And of course LA, and Hollywood which filters all of our media and film in some way.

Just a sample for my city, Chicago: home of SKYSCRAPERS!!! (would cities even look the same today?), Chicago Architectural style, Frank Loyd Wright - most influential architect in US history, hotdog & pizza styles, italian beef sandwich, Greek american food like Gyros and saganaki (maybe youve eaten one?), organized gangs from Capone to the original mega street gangs P-stones, GDs and Vicelords (around before Crips and Bloods), the actual method for creating the atomic bomb (first splitting of atom) was accomplished in U of Chi, creation of House Music, modern Blues, rappers like Da Brat, Twista, Lupe, Kanye and Common, various Rock Bands, Biggest influential R&B star of 90-00's- R Kelly, Spoken word was developed here!, Improv comedy (SNL originated in Chi), Major Ballet and Theatre, Silent film (Hollywood started in the south loop Chi before moving to LA) .......................blah blah blah. Barack Obama. blah blah blah...........

Im sure LA has a huge list of influential movements, people, creations and accomplishments that changed US culture; as does Philly or Boston. DC is the home of our US government for cristsakes! And NYCs list is even longer. So what? No one else on this board is claiming their city is the most influential, except people from SF for some reason. Please get over it. Yes its a beautiful city, and a great model for US urbanity, and is influential, but the most or even second-most? Please. We are not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City