Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 AM

105 posts, read 373,745 times

Advertisements

Cultural influence that is.

How can you not say hippies, beatniks, the internet, LSD, the gay movement, 2pac (he grew up in the bay) grateful dead, slang (do you understand how much slang originates in the bay area? hella, fosheezy, playa hater?) have affected the country? Whether you like it or not, it's affected the country!

Im not even from there and I can assure you that the bay area is where LA gets most of its ideas (e.g. Dr. Dre rips off Too Short). Trust me, SF is second only to NY in terms of being influential culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:40 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Culture and what affects this country and the world includes a lot more than just washed up pop/rap singers and drugs. I agree with you that San Franciscans have contributed much to our nation but to say that it contributed more than any other city but NYC is a misnomer. I certainly would place New Orleans, Chicago, Boston higher on the list in terms of literature. In terms of music (classical, ballet, opera), many cities would outpace San Fransisco along with journalism. In terms of the arts, again, many cities would outshine SF. Include sports, architecture, fashion, or other genres and again, SF would not top out. From what you referenced, gay demonstrations actually originated in NYC and were held in many cities simultaneously. Rap-nope-again, that could include many cities. The internet? No, credit would once again go to a number of places including the defense department in DC.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
I think second place is a tie between LA, Chicago and SF

I think a person would have to live in all three of those cities to give a good evaluation

I do agree that NYC is #1 though

Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Not only do I not trust you, but everything you listed is, at least in my opinion, garbage.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 AM

55 posts, read 210,685 times
your opinion, garbage. ok. but the fact that its been influential you cant deny.

For instance, I think Wall Street is garbage...but it's still influential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Not only do I not trust you, but everything you listed is, at least in my opinion, garbage.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,698 times
The best way to determine a cities influence is to look at its own Gross Domestic Product. New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago are 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

San Francisco is a very nice city, but it is not as influential as the other major cities, but perhaps if you looked at the Bay Area as a whole you might get a different result.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
how about more reasons- SF can't be #2 because of people using fosheezy

Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
San Francisco is a very nice city, but it is not as influential as the other major cities, but perhaps if you looked at the Bay Area as a whole you might get a different result.
Um there is no "Bay Area." It's properly called San Francisco (metro area).

Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy View Post
your opinion, garbage. ok. but the fact that its been influential you cant deny.

For instance, I think Wall Street is garbage...but it's still influential.
Are you equating the financial center of the nation and probably the most important 20 block area in the economic world to Jerry Garcia and The Castro???!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 AM

55 posts, read 210,685 times
Well, first of all, he listed far more than those 2 things.

But, even with just those two...in terms of cultural influence, yes. Both have had huge impacts.

(And, on a separate topic, SF is one of the top financial centers in the country, nowhere near NYC of course, but still up there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Are you equating the financial center of the nation and probably the most important 20 block area in the economic world to Jerry Garcia and The Castro???!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City