Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State?
Texas 142 52.99%
New York State 126 47.01%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM

145 posts, read 508,881 times

Advertisements

Diversity to a new yorker is carribean countries and European countries

Anything else is just Mexican and "Asian" to them for some reason

Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Texas as a whole is diverse, New york just has New York city, is there any other city in NY that is Truly Diverse or diverse?
Yes.....Actually, the major cities in NY State are diverse. Here in Syracuse we have SE Asians(mainly Vietnamese), Sudanese, West Africans, Native groups like the Onondaga and Mohawk of the Iroquois or Haudenosaunee Federation, African Americans, Jamaicans, Italians, Irish, Germans, Jews(mainly Russian), Greeks, Middle Easterners(mainly Lebanese and Jordanians), Chinese, Koreans, Ukrainians, Somalians, Indians and so on. Remember, it has a world class university and is known for being a city that has attracted refugees too. Actually, I don't think there are many cities that have a legit community presence of the 5 general racial/ethnic groups(White, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian and Native American) like Syracuse does. Meaning, they are all at least noticable within the city. For instance, Fowler High school, the HS for Syracuse's Westside has a makeup of around 41% Black, 30% White, 23% Hispanic, 5% Asian and 2% Native American.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 53,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
These Texans think they're on the same level with everything, you notice that? I get reps from lurkers who say the same thing. Whenever someone claims to have lived in Texas, their comeback is "Well you haven't traveled the whole state." How do you know where they've gone? There's always SOME excuse as to why we know nothing. Gotta love it. It's fair to compare a county to a state--it's still a part of NYS so it isn't off-topic.
No, we all think that only you and the other 2 NY travel guides (lamexican and the other one) are noticing that

You know what most of us notice though? The fact that NY'ers are very insecure at losing polls. You and the other 2 need to get over the fact that not everyone wants to live in NY and not everyone thinks that NY is the best. You guys are trying desperately to grasp onto something, anything to restore your lost pride. As a Californian, I like Texas better because of its very diverse and friendly big cities, its great job market, diverse topography, personal freedon and other things. NY is like a police state with high taxes and a welfare seekers dream. The politicians of NY are destroying that great state. Look at your governors approval rate.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Texas, Texas, Texas.

A lot of the music that I dearly love comes from Texas. Can't say the same for New York.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes.....Actually, the major cities in NY State are diverse. Here in Syracuse we have SE Asians(mainly Vietnamese), Sudanese, West Africans, Native groups like the Onondaga and Mohawk of the Iroquois or Haudenosaunee Federation, African Americans, Jamaicans, Italians, Irish, Germans, Jews(mainly Russian), Greeks, Middle Easterners(mainly Lebanese and Jordanians), Chinese, Koreans, Ukrainians, Somalians, Indians and so on. Remember, it has a world class university and is known for being a city that has attracted refugees too. Actually, I don't think there are many cities that have a legit community presence of the 5 general racial/ethnic groups(White, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian and Native American) like Syracuse does. Meaning, they are all at least noticable within the city. For instance, Fowler High school, the HS for Syracuse's Westside has a makeup of around 41% Black, 30% White, 23% Hispanic, 5% Asian and 2% Native American.
That's pretty impressive, I must say. I live a similarly sized city, and there are around 90 nations represented here. My high school is about 40% Hispanic, 30% White, 15% Black, and 15% Asian. I'm not trying to "one-up" you in any way, I'm just giving a comparison.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Which is Better,More Geographically Varied?Which has the best food,Nightlife,blah blah Etc!!
economically, texas, nightlife, nyc. food is too close to call. Honestly, though these threads are almost always of limited value, this one is particularly limited. It's not paris to the desert but it may as well be london to shanghai. they are so vastly different that it's not that one is better than the other, it just depends on one's tastes. Texas is one place that does have very good food (as does NY). Generally speaking I think NY is nice looking geographically but big bend is pretty stunning. weather wise extreme summer heat for Texas, bitter winters for upstate NY. Houston has long been a diverse place (well, long for houston anyways). from a city perspective I'll take NYC over houston any day (not least because I like NYC's dynamism) but that's a personal choice. I like the relative freedom texas offers and how business friendly it is.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
LaMexican speaks the truth. He lived in TX so he knows if TX is diversed or not. Maybe TX is diversed but not as diversed as NYC no way. We have Indians, Pakistans, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Greeks, Filipino, Dominicans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Albanians, Irish, Italians, Salvadorians, Ecuadorians, Hondurians...Jewish. NYC has be a home to many cultures. It began at Ellis Island. Immigrants will come to Ellis Island first before entering NYC. So why state that TX can be compared to NYC. Hence, TX can never be compared to NYC.
LOL. You will find each and every one of these in Texas. EVERY ONE. And to say Houston isn't diverse shows me the ignorance people have about that city. But continue to think that it's some Southern backwater town. The people that say that only makes themself look foolish. The three New Yorkers on this thread are amazing. BTW, lamexican, you will find thousands of Jamaicans in Houston. As well as Haitians, Belizans, Panamanians, Nigerians (ESPECIALLY), Ghananians, Sengalese, and more.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:55 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonicaALEX View Post
No, we all think that only you and the other 2 NY travel guides (lamexican and the other one) are noticing that

You know what most of us notice though? The fact that NY'ers are very insecure at losing polls. You and the other 2 need to get over the fact that not everyone wants to live in NY and not everyone thinks that NY is the best. You guys are trying desperately to grasp onto something, anything to restore your lost pride. As a Californian, I like Texas better because of its very diverse and friendly big cities, its great job market, diverse topography, personal freedon and other things. NY is like a police state with high taxes and a welfare seekers dream. The politicians of NY are destroying that great state. Look at your governors approval rate.
And you are from CA? Um, have you looked at your state's financial status lately?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
And you are from CA? Um, have you looked at your state's financial status lately?
blame the people running the state not the residents.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Im a new yorker through and through. But if we are talking about states here; Texas is too dominant of a state for new york to compete with. Its big as hell first of all. And they got like 1000 cities in there. No contest on a state level. Keep it real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City