Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area do you like better?
Times Square (NYC) 167 78.04%
LA Live (LA) 47 21.96%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,939 times

Advertisements

Seriously people...

We're comparing LA Live to Times Square? WTF???

I hate TS, as much as the next NYer, but it is without a shadow of a doubt, it is the most famous city district in America, and one of the most famous in the world.

LA Live, is just some entertainment complex that is just getting started, and it will no way be as famous as Times Square.

Seriously. This has to be a joke..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Who knows what NYC1Day's basis for this is.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's a silly retort. Coney Island's heyday is long since past and the city is doing absolutely nothing to change that (shame on the city). And it's ridiculous to bring up the beaches in NYC to the beaches of LA. Venice is as popular as it is for a reason.
Coney Island is getting rebuilt though.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Coney Island is getting rebuilt though.
Not if people have enough pride to stop Thor from tearing the heart out of the place. And I don't know about saying it's being "rebuilt" so much as just plowed over with a giant, dull tombstone to top it off.

Also, it doesn't change LA's beaches one bit--they're still going to be wonderfully sunny almost all year-round with great sand and better waves. Of course you might like cold and rainy beaches in the winter, but from my Coney Island visits in the winter (had a long shoot there), it doesn't seem like there are too many people here in the city who do.

Oh, hey guys. Join Coney Island USA. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to the site.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times
I choose Time Square, but after seeing all the tacky plastic chairs in the middle of the street I may have changed my mind. It looks like a second rate block party.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I choose Time Square, but after seeing all the tacky plastic chairs in the middle of the street I may have changed my mind. It looks like a second rate block party.

Bloomberg is an idiot for doing this (yet another thing I disagree with him about). I hear that there's TONS of garbage on the weekends because twice as many people can walk through Times Square now. I thought pedestrians-only was a good idea at first, but now I don't.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

This is a major embarrassment for New York. The pictures made New York look like the most unsophisticated place in America. I was shocked when I saw the photos. I was embarrassed for the place and I don't even live in New York. It's that bad. All New Yorkers should be outraged.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM

It's catering to tourists in lieu of supporting the people who actually live there (and lawn chairs are not going to drive more people to come to NYC). I'd prefer a red-light district with lenient busking licenses in the area instead.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Only a person suffering from some kind of mental illness would come to New York to sit on a lawn chair in the middle of Time Square. What kind of moron thinks of this stuff? I hate to carry on, but this is the dumbest idea I have ever witnessed.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
At first I thought it was a good idea, since it's really difficult to walk through Times Square to get anywhere. You have to walk a snail's pace with all the tourists if you're going anywhere in that area. I avoid it, but sometimes you just can't if you're going to the theatre or something. But at the same time, I play ice hockey on the west side, so because of this, it's going to take longer to get there with all the detours. I'd rather just allow cars back in the area. I don't want TS to turn trashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City