Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area do you think has the brightest future ahead of it?
Cincinnati 28 17.39%
Columbus 26 16.15%
Indianapolis 22 13.66%
Louisville 22 13.66%
Pittsburgh 53 32.92%
Dunno 10 6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times

Advertisements

I think Columbus probably has the best future. It's the state capitol, the government is the biggest employer (I believe) and has one of the largest universities. It will ALWAYS have a stable economy based on those factors. I believe Pitts isn't too far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 PM

249 posts, read 609,282 times
Honestly I dont see why Pittsburgh is on this list. Its the only city whose population is declining rapidly due to lack of jobs. I went to school there and while there are many colleges and universities there aren't any good jobs to retain those students. The city lacks any REAL diversity and is as backwards as they come. I would say Columbus is the best on the list complete opposites of pittsburgh.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Honestly I dont see why Pittsburgh is on this list. Its the only city whose population is declining rapidly due to lack of jobs. I went to school there and while there are many colleges and universities there aren't any good jobs to retain those students. The city lacks any REAL diversity and is as backwards as they come. I would say Columbus is the best on the list complete opposites of pittsburgh.
And yet Pittsburgh has the lowest unemployment rate of all the cities listed.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM

249 posts, read 609,282 times
Explain why people are moving out of the city instead of in. THe city population is declining rapidly while the other cities on the list continue to grow. DOnt worry Ill wait

Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Explain why people are moving out of the city instead of in. THe city population is declining rapidly while the other cities on the list continue to grow. DOnt worry Ill wait
I have a better idea: explain why Pittsburgh has a lower unemployment rate than the rest of the cities on the list. While you're at it, maybe you can explain why Pittsburgh had a higher job growth rate in 2009 than all the other cities on the list. "DOnt worry Ill wait" [sic]

Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Domestic migration in the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Statistical area was positive in 2009. That means more people came than left. Second of all, you clearly don't understand the statistical nuances of the area. The devil is in the details, and I've illustrated some of those details in other Pittsburgh-related topics. Net outmigration ain't the only way to lose population. Third of all, here are four links that are a veritable middle finger raised in your direction. "All the smart people leave"? Bull****! Pittsburgh's under-55 population is far more educated than average, and there's your proof. Furthermore, when you consider that only Florida imports more college students from other states than Pennsylvania does, then of course there'll be lots of people who don't stay. I venture that a lot of college students leave Florida when they're done too.

If there's anything that's "backwards" about Pittsburgh, it's people's perceptions thereof.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 05-28-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Domestic migration in the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Statistical area was positive in 2009. That means more people came than left. Second of all, you clearly don't understand the statistical nuances of the area. The devil is in the details, and I've illustrated some of those details in other Pittsburgh-related topics. Net outmigration ain't the only way to lose population. Third of all, here are four links that are a veritable middle finger raised in your direction. "All the smart people leave"? Bull****! Pittsburgh's under-55 population is far more educated than average, and there's your proof. Furthermore, when you consider that only Florida imports more college students from other states than Pennsylvania does, then of course there'll be lots of people who don't stay. I venture that a lot of college students leave Florida when they're done too.

If there's anything that's "backwards" about Pittsburgh, it's people's perceptions thereof.
You tell him! I saw from the census that Allegheny County gained about 300 people from 2008-09 while the declines were in the more rural counties.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You tell him! I saw from the census that Allegheny County gained about 300 people from 2008-09 while the declines were in the more rural counties.
Allegheny, Butler and Washington Counties all gained population between 2008 and 2009. Armstrong, Beaver, Fayette and Westmoreland Counties all lost population during that same period. The core of the metro area is doing better than before; it's the outlying counties that are still a drag on the region's numbers -- particularly Armstrong and Fayette Counties. Those two are in some sad shape.

In the future, I believe that areas closest to the city and I-79 will grow while areas closer to the mountains and the Monongahela River will continue to shrink. There's no telling what will happen to Beaver County, though. Maybe the I-376 extension will help.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
300 isn't really a gain... rather stagnant in my opinion. Needless to say the best positioned are Columbus and Pittsburgh.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
300 isn't really a gain... rather stagnant in my opinion. Needless to say the best positioned are Columbus and Pittsburgh.
It's better than -7,000 like there was several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City