Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

mississippi, north dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM

159 posts, read 511,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
yes, vermont, then what the heck, how are you going to get maple syrup for your pancakes?
Hmm very true. That would be a shame

Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 PM

257 posts, read 1,444,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
that's the Coolest state name i've ever heard of... that's been proposed of course. that's a great idea i don't see why that couldn't work... also throw in the southern tip of Alaska also. Awesome Idea there and i like the fantasy land like name "Cascadia" Perfect!!
you do know BC is Canada right lol?? that would be the highest state ever if BC was a part of it.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Why? Have you ever been to either? Why would you want to "loose" either?
Don't you dare question a New Yorker!!!! Us ignorant southerners need to learn our place.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Don't you dare question a New Yorker!!!! Us ignorant southerners need to learn our place.

You never fail to surprise me in nearly every post; mentioning southerners and northerners

Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Wrong state to kick out...

In 2006 Tampa averaged the highest NHL attendance of any US city, 2nd overall after MTL: NHL Attendance Leaders - National Hockey League - ESPN

In 2007 Tampa was behind only Detroit in US attendance: NHL Attendance Leaders - National Hockey League - ESPN

In 2008 Tampa was still in the top 10 for NHL attendance:
NHL Attendance Leaders - National Hockey League - ESPN

2008: Ahead of "cold weather" or "traditional" hockey markets like New York, minneapolis, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh

Sure it slipped in 09, but you can't suck for years and expect to sell out games. When they have a halfway decent team, Tampa is one of the best US hockey markets.

Not to mention that Florida has many succesful minor league hockey teams, particularly the Everblades of the ECHL.....often considered a model franchise of the ECHL....
Florida Everblades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Miami was giving away free tickets to anyone showing a Florida drivers license, throughout the entire season. I suppose they were trying to get people to go. That is pretty bad for a NHL team.

I have been to an Everblades game. That was pretty much sold out. Apparently, they are doing much better than Miami.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
The Texas Medical Center is NOT a hospital. It is a group of medical research facilities that at times perform as hopsitals but that's not what they are there for. The TMC does have hospitals sprinkled here and there. To compare it to just one hospital is not a very comparison. It's not fair to TMC nor to the hospital people compare it to.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Forget about that beta and alpha world cities cr*p. There are world cities and there are those that aren't. There are only like 3 from this country that are genuine world cities. It's not like I'm saying NYC is the only world city in this country I'm giving props to the cities that deserve them.
Forget about that "There are world cities and there are those that aren't" cr*p. There are legitimate rankings of what constitutes a World City, and Rachael84 is in no way the authority.

How are you going to dispute what is considered a World City by researchers who list specific criteria with, "its not a world city because I say its not?" Aren't you supposed to be a teacher?? This is really bad if even YOU are going to try and say your opinion is fact over qualified organizations.

Any city that is listed as a World City is exactly that, whether it be Alpha, Beta or Gamma. Just like how a car is a car weather it is a Mustang, BMW or Corolla. The only thing that's cr*p here is your reasoning for claiming that certain cities are not World Cities. And you left out A LOT of them with your selective "props."

Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
It's doubtful I'd be laughing even then, especially considering not a soul has argued that New York City is anything less than America's preeminent city. Just because there are other world-class cities in the US other than NYC doesn't detract from NYC. Adherence to insularity isn't a distinctive humor variety like the British have with their favor shown to irony.
Great post.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Forget about that "There are world cities and there are those that aren't" cr*p. There are legitimate rankings of what constitutes a World City, and Rachael84 is in no way the authority.

How are you going to dispute what is considered a World City by researchers who list specific criteria with, "its not a world city because I say its not?" Aren't you supposed to be a teacher?? This is really bad if even YOU are going to try and say your opinion is fact over qualified organizations.

Any city that is listed as a World City is exactly that, whether it be Alpha, Beta or Gamma. Just like how a car is a car weather it is a Mustang, BMW or Corolla. The only thing that's cr*p here is your reasoning for claiming that certain cities are not World Cities. And you left out A LOT of them with your selective "props."
Awesome post, my friend

Those rankings are made by people who have great knowlege of the subject and I believe that would trump the funny opinions of a select few that have experienced very few cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City