Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver Colorado 127 57.47%
Dallas Texas 94 42.53%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I'm sure you can find just as many beautiful women in Denver. Silly comment. Denver doesn't shut down at 10. Downtown is very active and like other posters have said, Denver has the more active and lively downtown. We have plenty of great food in Denver and with all the influx of people moving here from bigger cities, our food options are getting better.

Our traffic really isn't that bad. I've lived in several major cities and Denver traffic is still better then most of them. Honestly what major city doesn't have traffic? I do agree though the infrastructure could be better. Denver is the better of the two cities. You guys have the dining and shopping. We have the scenery, outdoor options, better city center, weather, airport. More people would rather visit Denver then Dallas anyday. I give it less then 10 years and Denver will be the more cosmopolitan of the two cities also.
Not at all - Denver has the same tone of "nose in the air" type women like Texas or California but there are less of them and they're pretty immature. Texas girls by far are probably the most well balanced and very attractive, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:16 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Better weather in the summer, the other 9 months of the year go to Dallas
More like 6, if that. Better year around for some of us.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Better weather in the summer, the other 9 months of the year go to Dallas
I mean if you're from Phoenix or Dallas and enjoy uncomfortable/above average heat, I guess

Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 PM

122 posts, read 129,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I've known some people to move to Colorado from down here and they all said that they are "cold weather" types that like the winter options up there as well as the fact that Denver isn't so big and has a more laid back vibe and not so much hustle and bustle. DFW is huge and hot. That's not for everyone and I'm sure for those who have lived here for a long time, it can probably wear on some people that may not have the personality or preference for it.
Denver actually has nice winter weather. I've talked to plenty of Texans who have moved here for the. Enter outdoor lifestyle and the beautiful scenery. Sure DFW is big because it's sprawly and that's not a good thing either. It felt like a big suburb to me as Denver felt more like a traditional city. Like I said in he near future I believe Denver will over take Dallas in urban feel. Also Dallas is not some fast bustling city like you suggest. Downtown sure isn't bustling, while Fenvers is much more active. Denver is more laid back yes I do agree on that. I consider that a positive, rather then a negative

Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 PM

814 posts, read 759,739 times
I hear Denver has a nice dry type of cold, but I heard the down side to it is when the snow falls a 30 min trip turns into a 3 hour trip in the mountains.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I mean if you're from Phoenix or Dallas and enjoy uncomfortable/above average heat, I guess
Let's do the list:

Highs below 50- Denver for 3 months, Dallas only in cool spells
Lows below 32- Denver for 5 1/2 months, Dallas only in cool spells
Snow-white Denver 60 inches per winter, Dallas less than 2 inches per winter
Blizzards-Denver several per year, Dallas 1 every 10 years+

Winner Dallas

I admitted that Summer is better in Denver, but for the whole year, Dallas is better

Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
Denver actually has nice winter weather. I've talked to plenty of Texans who have moved here for the. Enter outdoor lifestyle and the beautiful scenery. Sure DFW is big because it's sprawly and that's not a good thing either. It felt like a big suburb to me as Denver felt more like a traditional city. Like I said in he near future I believe Denver will over take Dallas in urban feel. Also Dallas is not some fast bustling city like you suggest. Downtown sure isn't bustling, while Fenvers is much more active. Denver is more laid back yes I do agree on that. I consider that a positive, rather then a negative
Highs in the 40s and lows 15-20, I consider that pretty cold

Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Highs in the 40s and lows 15-20, I consider that pretty cold
For you that may be cold but for many others it isn't cold. Visit the East coast and you will know cold. Denver may have some highs in the 40's but we see a lot of sun and some 50's and 60's in the winter also. Many people from Big east coast cities move to Denver because winters are not that bad here and they can still experience a winter.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
I spend a fair amount of time in both cities; roughly 3 or 4 times a year for the last ten years. I was in Denver for a week mid May. It snowed and not a little. I am just home from a weekend in Dallas. They are almost comparable - the capital of the southern plains and the capital of the western plains. The biggest difference is that DFW is more than twice the size of Denver : 7.2 million people v 2.8, and that huge difference is readily apparent. The GDP of DFW is nearly three times the size of the GDP of Denver :500 billion versus 187 billion. They both have boxy 1980s skylines, mediocre downtowns, tons of sprawl, horrible traffic, dodgy air quality etc. Denver always feels to me like a lesser Dallas with a view.

Th economies of scale are most readily apparent in their respective cultural institutions. The DMA in Dallas is a more than respectable art museum. Their permanent collections are fine, not stellar, but the exhibits they get are in a different league to what you find at the DMA in Denver. I went to Dallas this weekend to see the extraordinary modernist Mexican art exhibit. It is the only museum in the U.S., to which it will travel. The Denver museum of art has lesser permanent collections and is not on the global art map in the way that Dallas is, and then you add in the Fort Worth museums, which are spectacular, and then Denver starts looking positively provincial in comparison. The Denver center for the performing arts is a great venue and equivalent to the AT&T center for the performing arts in Dallas, but the former is basically the only game in town in Denver. Dallas has many more equivalent venues - the Winspear, and then you add the Meadows, the Crow, the Nasher, and then there is the Bass in Fort Worth. DFW takes the arts very seriously, Denver not so much.

What's true for the arts is also true for food and nightlife. Denver wins for microbreweries, but for everything else Dallas blows Denver out of the water. There is not a global cuisine that is not represented. Denver, not so much. The DFW area is significantly more diverse, with a much higher foreign born population. There is spectacular Asian food of nearly every kind in DFW. Options in Denver are both less numerous and less diverse, which makes sense given the difference between an MSA over 7 million and one with less than 3 million in population.

Their respective downtowns are both rapidly improving with a lot of urbanesque infill, but while Uptown Dallas is the home of the 30K millionaire and one of the douchebag capitals of the country, it is more walkable and urban than LoDo, and the hip and groovy neighborhoods of Dallas are more numerous than those of Denver. I like Capitol Hill and Highlands in Denver; they are smaller and less lively than their Dallas equivalents: Oaklawn, Lower Greenville, and there is nothing in Denver like Deep Ellum. For a rich intown neighborhood, there is a lot more glamor and money in Highland Park, Dallas than there is in Cherry Creek, Denver.

I would agree with the poster above who said Dallas to live, Denver to visit, but even then Denver to visit because Denver is the gateway to some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the continent. Most of what makes Denver great is adjacent to and not in Denver. For access to mountains and all the wonderful outdoor recreation that enables, Denver is SO superior to Dallas, it is laughable. Dallas is roughly 3 hours from the Ozarks and the Texas hill country, neither of which can hold a candle to the Rockies. But for every urban amenity, DFW, as one would expect from a MSA more than twice the size, with an economy nearly three times the size, DFW is in a different league, and is growing as fast , if not faster than Denver. DFW is a much more cosmopolitan and sophisticated place. Denver is massively overrated by people who have never been there. They think it is in the mountains, but is flat and often brown. People, who have not spent time in DFW think it is some the bigger the hair the closer to God, Texas redneck boomtown. It isn't. It is the 4th largest MSA in the United States, with all that entails. Denver is the 19th, and the difference is readily apparent. While Dallas is not as liberal as Denver, Dallas county voted over 60% for Clinton with the city numbers quite a bit higher.

While San Antonio is a little smaller and poorer than Denver (San Antonio however is more distinctive): 2.4 million people to Denver's 2.8, its urban amenities are not dissimilar, and it is a much more realistic Texas comparison to Denver than DFW, which by every objective metric and every subjective one, except proximity to beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation, is in a different tier to Denver...

Last edited by homeinatx; 06-11-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I spend a fair amount of time in both cities; roughly 3 or 4 times a year for the last ten years. I was in Denver for a week mid May. It snowed and not a little. I am just home from a weekend in Dallas. They are almost comparable - the capital of the southern plains and the capital of the western plains. The biggest difference is that DFW is more than twice the size of Denver : 7.2 million people v 2.8, and that huge difference is readily apparent. The GDP of DFW is nearly three times the size of the GDP of Denver :500 billion versus 187 billion. They both have boxy 1980s skylines, mediocre downtowns, tons of sprawl, horrible traffic, dodgy air quality etc. Denver always feels to me like a lesser Dallas with a view.

Th economies of scale are most readily apparent in their respective cultural institutions. The DMA in Dallas is a more than respectable art museum. Their permanent collections are fine, not stellar, but the exhibits they get are in a different league to what you find at the DMA in Denver. I went to Dallas this weekend to see the extraordinary modernist Mexican art exhibit. It is the only museum in the U.S., to which it will travel. The Denver museum of art has lesser permanent collections and is not on the global art map in the way that Dallas is, and then you add in the Fort Worth museums, which are spectacular, and then Denver starts looking positively provincial in comparison. The Denver center for the performing arts is a great venue and equivalent to the AT&T center for the performing arts in Dallas, but the former is basically the only game in town in Denver. Dallas has many more equivalent venues - the Winspear, and then you add the Meadows, the Crow, the Nasher, and then there is the Bass in Fort Worth. DFW takes the arts very seriously, Denver not so much.

What's true for the arts is also true for food and nightlife. Denver wins for microbreweries, but for everything else Dallas blows Denver out of the water. There is not a global cuisine that is not represented. Denver, not so much. The DFW area is significantly more diverse, with a much higher foreign born population. There is spectacular Asian food of nearly every kind in DFW. Options in Denver are both less numerous and less diverse, which makes sense given the difference between an MSA over 7 million and one with less than 3 million in population.

Their respective downtowns are both rapidly improving with a lot of urbanesque infill, but while Uptown Dallas is the home of the 30K millionaire and one of the douchebag capitals of the country, it is more walkable and urban than LoDo, and the hip and groovy neighborhoods of Dallas are more numerous than those of Denver. I like Capitol Hill and Highlands in Denver; they are smaller and less lively than their Dallas equivalents: Oaklawn, Lower Greenville, and there is nothing in Denver like Deep Ellum. For a rich intown neighborhood, there is a lot more glamor and money in Highland Park, Dallas than there is in Cherry Creek, Denver.

I would agree with the poster above who said Dallas to live, Denver to visit, but even then Denver to visit because Denver is the gateway to some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the continent. Most of what makes Denver great is adjacent to and not in Denver. For access to mountains and all the wonderful outdoor recreation that enables, Denver is SO superior to Dallas, it is laughable. Dallas is roughly 3 hours from the Ozarks and the Texas hill country, neither of which can hold a candle to the Rockies. But for every urban amenity, DFW, as one would expect from a MSA more than twice the size, with an economy nearly three times the size, DFW is in a different league, and is growing as fast , if not faster than Denver. DFW is a much more cosmopolitan and sophisticated place. Denver is massively overrated by people who have never been there. They think it is in the mountains, but is flat and often brown. People, who have not spent time in DFW think it is some the bigger the hair the closer to God, Texas redneck boomtown. It isn't. It is the 4th largest MSA in the United States, with all that entails. Denver is the 19th, and the difference is readily apparent. While Dallas is not as liberal as Denver, Dallas county voted over 60% for Clinton with the city numbers quite a bit higher.

While San Antonio is a little smaller and poorer than Denver (San Antonio however is more distinctive): 2.4 million people to Denver's 2.8, its urban amenities are not dissimilar, and it is a much more realistic Texas comparison to Denver than DFW, which by every objective metric and every subjective one, except proximity to beautiful scenery and outdoor recreation, is in a different tier to Denver...
In this case, bigger isn't always better. Denver gets the advantage of being the only big city in the state and biggest city in its region. Dallas gets overlooked by being in a state with several big cities. Houston overtakes Dallas easily. When people think of a big major city in Texas, they think Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City