Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is MORE southern, Miami or San Antonio?
Miami 28 19.58%
San Antonio 80 55.94%
Neither is a part of the South. 35 24.48%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times

Advertisements

Miami has more in common with Latin America and the Caribbean than the South. It isn't even really geographically in the South, being well south of the true Southern states. If you have to put South/Central Florida in a region, I'd say put it in with Hawaii as "The Tropics." Hawaii is the state that is most similar to South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Miami has more in common with Latin America and the Caribbean than the South. It isn't even really geographically in the South, being well south of the true Southern states. If you have to put South/Central Florida in a region, I'd say put it in with Hawaii as "The Tropics." Hawaii is the state that is most similar to South Florida.
Latin America/Caribbean is not a region of the U.S. Excluding Hawaii and Alaska, you have South, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, and West. Pick one.

Yes, the Miami area has an overwhelming amount of ties to Latin America, but it also has more than it's fair share of ties to the South. You can't just ignore that and say Miami is pure Caribbean, because it isn't.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
San Antonio has WAY more in common with Mexico than the South. It is also typically considered a Southwestern city by both geography and culture. The foriegn culture thing is very prevalent in both cities. Also, there is not way you could put Hawaii and South Florida in the Same reason. That's like putting West Virginia and Colorado in the same region because their both mountainous and have snow.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
San Antonio has WAY more in common with Mexico than the South. It is also typically considered a Southwestern city by both geography and culture. The foriegn culture thing is very prevalent in both cities. Also, there is not way you could put Hawaii and South Florida in the Same reason. That's like putting West Virginia and Colorado in the same region because their both mountainous and have snow.
It depends on what part of San Antonio you're talking about. Eastside San Antonio most definitely does NOT have more in common with Mexico and is a lot more like Central Texas.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
San Antonio is more influenced by Mexico than it is the South. Miami is more influenced by the Caribbean/Latin American than it is the South. But these cities are Southern. They are different but they are Southern. You're either Western, Northern, Eastern, or Southern. You can make an arguement for San Antonio being just as Western or Miami being Eastern but it's a small argument.

Heck, even Houston while still heavily influenced by the South is starting to become more influenced by Latin America since the Hispanic population is now starting to outnumber both the Whites and the Blacks and their culture is spreading through the city like a wildfire. But the city is still Southern.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
San Antonio is more influenced by Mexico than it is the South. Miami is more influenced by the Caribbean/Latin American than it is the South. But these cities are Southern. They are different but they are Southern. You're either Western, Northern, Eastern, or Southern. You can make an arguement for San Antonio being just as Western or Miami being Eastern but it's a small argument.

Heck, even Houston while still heavily influenced by the South is starting to become more influenced by Latin America since the Hispanic population is now starting to outnumber both the Whites and the Blacks and their culture is spreading through the city like a wildfire. But the city is still Southern.
I'm just not one to believe that the invasive cultures of immigrants can just claim a city.

It's just an added culture, but it doesn't dillute anything.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I'm just not one to believe that the invasive cultures of immigrants can just claim a city.

It's just an added culture, but it doesn't dillute anything.
It can dillute enough to become a much different city than it was 50 years ago. If 15 million Southerners moved to Chicago right now, it would dillute the Midwestern culture that is in that city.

I mean the people that are denying that Miami is Southern has an argument. I generally think it's Southern myself but I can understand why people say it's not. Many others from Southern state will say Miami is not Southern either. So it's not just Miamians or Floridians. The majority of Miami's black population is from the Islands. The majority of Miami's Hispanic population is from the Islands and South America. A great portion of Miami's white population comes from Europe and Canada. It is one of the top multicultural cities in the nation.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
It can dillute enough to become a much different city than it was 50 years ago. If 15 million Southerners moved to Chicago right now, it would dillute the Midwestern culture that is in that city.

I mean the people that are denying that Miami is Southern has an argument. I generally think it's Southern myself but I can understand why people say it's not. Many others from Southern state will say Miami is not Southern either. So it's not just Miamians or Floridians. The majority of Miami's black population is from the Islands. The majority of Miami's Hispanic population is from the Islands and South America. A great portion of Miami's white population comes from Europe and Canada. It is one of the top multicultural cities in the nation.
Which city ISN'T a much different city than it was 50 years ago? None of them are the same as they were in 1960.

I totally agree with MrMcCoySays. An influx of new residents only adds to the current culture - it doesn't replace it. Why does the fact that Miami is one of the top multicultural cities in the U.S. mean that it is no longer southern? I'm pretty sure that San Francisco being multicultural has never caused anyone to think that it is no longer a West Coast city.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well if Miami isn't the South, what else could it possibly be?

A city doesn't have to have all of the stereotypical qualities of the south in order to be considered.

Furthermore, I believe that the land Miami now sits on used to be slave territory. And what about the Heartland? You can't just wipe all of that away simply because of cultural changes.

Is Miami southern like Houston or Atlanta? No. But it's the south nonetheless.
The Florida Heartland is SOOOOOO underpopulated and small, that the culture in those areas have absolutely NOOO effect whatsoever on the South Florida area.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I mean the people that are denying that Miami is Southern has an argument. I generally think it's Southern myself but I can understand why people say it's not. Many others from Southern state will say Miami is not Southern either. So it's not just Miamians or Floridians.
Quote:
The majority of Miami's black population is from the Islands.
The majority of Miami's Hispanic population is from the Islands and South America. A great portion of Miami's white population comes from Europe and Canada. It is one of the top multicultural cities in the nation.
Do you have a source for that info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City