Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is MORE southern, Miami or San Antonio?
Miami 28 19.58%
San Antonio 80 55.94%
Neither is a part of the South. 35 24.48%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To be fair, Little Haiti isn't African American obviously and Overtown and Liberty City is now nearly mostly Islanders. I can understand where Polo is coming from. Never heard of Upper Eastside. Most of the African Americans moved North into Broward County up Northern Dade County.
This is not true. Broward's swelling black population is mostly related to immigration from the Islands, in fact there are more West Indians than AAs or any other ethnic group in Broward County. The largest AA population is definitely in Miami Gardens. Most heavily black areas in Broward, like Lauderhill, Miramar, etc are far more West Indian than Overtown or anywhere in Dade really. Also, Broward's fair sized black middle class is particularly balanced towards various first generation Islanders. Some of the classically black areas in Miami-Dade has seen some increase in immigration from the islands but not enough to be called "mostly", more like 10-15%.

So yes, there was southern influence in Miami and the South Florida area and pockets do exist in the black community (especially Overtown, Liberty City, Perrine, etc), but it's overall far more of a Latinized/West Indian culture and the anglo areas have more of a Northeastern culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
This is not true. Broward's swelling black population is mostly related to immigration from the Islands, in fact there are more West Indians than AAs or any other ethnic group in Broward County. The largest AA population is definitely in Miami Gardens. Most heavily black areas in Broward, like Lauderhill, Miramar, etc are far more West Indian than Overtown or anywhere in Dade really. Some of the classically black areas in Miami-Dade has seen some increase in immigration from the islands but not enough to be called "mostly", more like 10-15%.
You read my comment wrong. I said most of the African Americans MOVED to Broward County. Meaning, most of the African Americans that was in Dade that lived in Liberty City and the likes have moved to Broward County. Didn't say they make up most of Broward County. But that they moved up there. Blacks went from Liberty City to Opa Locka to Carol City to Miramar and so on and so on. They continued to advance North. There are also many West Indian and Islanders in Miami Gardens as well. They are deep in Norland and in Lake Lucerne.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Yeah but the difference is that Miami has a very large black population and it's a powerful presence in the Miami area. Not the same for San Antonio which doesn't have a large black population. 1.1 million in Miami compared to only 121k in San Antonio.
But a GREAT portion of those blacks are Caribbean and don't think of themselves as southerners.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
To be fair, Little Haiti isn't African American obviously and Overtown and Liberty City is now nearly mostly Islanders. I can understand where Polo is coming from. Never heard of Upper Eastside. Most of the African Americans moved North into Broward County up Northern Dade County.
Exactly. I agree.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Miami dealt with the same problems as other southern cities such as segregation and racism within the black community. These types of things weren't that much a problem in San Antonio because of the large Hispanic community.
But that was way back then. No cultural significance now as to why it is southern.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
You read my comment wrong. I said most of the African Americans MOVED to Broward County. Meaning, most of the African Americans that was in Dade that lived in Liberty City and the likes have moved to Broward County. Didn't say they make up most of Broward County. But that they moved up there. Blacks went from Liberty City to Opa Locka to Carol City to Miramar and so on and so on. They continued to advance North. There are also many West Indian and Islanders in Miami Gardens as well. They are deep in Norland and in Lake Lucerne.
Another good observation.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
This is not true. Broward's swelling black population is mostly related to immigration from the Islands, in fact there are more West Indians than AAs or any other ethnic group in Broward County. The largest AA population is definitely in Miami Gardens. Most heavily black areas in Broward, like Lauderhill, Miramar, etc are far more West Indian than Overtown or anywhere in Dade really. Also, Broward's fair sized black middle class is particularly balanced towards various first generation Islanders. Some of the classically black areas in Miami-Dade has seen some increase in immigration from the islands but not enough to be called "mostly", more like 10-15%.

So yes, there was southern influence in Miami and the South Florida area and pockets do exist in the black community (especially Overtown, Liberty City, Perrine, etc), but it's overall far more of a Latinized/West Indian culture and the anglo areas have more of a Northeastern culture.
True.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Most parts of Miami where anglos even exist are home almost chiefly to Jewish and Italian New Yorkers.
I definately agree with that. You're not gonna find ALOT if ANY NATIVE ANGLO SOUTHERNERS in Miami. And the whites who were born in Miami or south florida all the way up to west palm that I knew, had parents from up north, so they didn't carry the typical southern accent.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 AM

24 posts, read 41,323 times
Depends what you mean by "southern" . I've never been to San Antonio, so I could not comment. Miami is lovely though, it depends where you live. "Deep South" in Miami, maybe not. Still it is very beautiful full of land to go play in lakes, and beaches, lighthouses, horseback riding, strawberry picking, picnics lol. Not really making a point but These states are southern in general because excluding these cities apparently, and the people might not be typical "southerners" but the location is.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Are you speaking of the San Antonio Robert E. Lee Volunteers? If so, you are very correct. Their mascot and motif was very Old South Southern in that regard.

Of course, I also remember the 1971 4A State Championship Game where my own alma-mater -- although I was just in Junior High at the time -- the Wichita Falls Coyotes, played them.

It was later listed in Dave Campbells "Texas Football" mag as the best high school football game ever played in the state of Texas. SA Lee won 21-20, as I recall. Anyway, I DO remember the "Dixie" fight song. Whatever one feels about the WBTS or the Confederacy or anything associated, there is something about that song when played by marching bands with cymbals crashing and bass horns blasting that makes one want to stomp and holler and cheer (especially if one is Texan/Southern). Even we "Coyote" fans had to clap along with it!
Yes that is the high school SA Lee Vols, I had forgotten about their Dixie fight song, they were a power house back in the 60's and 70's. Tommy Kramer who was quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings played on that 71 Lee team. The school had a huge painted Rebel flag in front of the school long gone now. There are some things southern in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City