Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:07 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times

Advertisements

I don't quite understand why this is even a debate. Austin has never been part of "the South" as it is commonly known; Northern Virginia unarguably has been and arguably is still part of "the South." While most people in Northern Virginia may not identify with being "Southern" anymore, I would imagine that only a negligible amount of people in Austin identify with being so. Austin is deep in the heart of Texas hill country; "the South" doesn't extend beyond East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I don't quite understand why this is even a debate. Austin has never been part of "the South" as it is commonly known; Northern Virginia unarguably has been and arguably is still part of "the South." While most people in Northern Virginia may not identify with being "Southern" anymore, I would imagine that only a negligible amount of people in Austin identify with being so. Austin is deep in the heart of Texas hill country; "the South" doesn't extend beyond East Texas.
Well I'd just like to point out that southern influence does indeed extend farther than East Texas; also, Austin was once home to slavery.

Quote:
Forty percent of Texas slaves lived on plantations along the Gulf Coast and in the East Texas river valleys, where they cultivated cotton, corn, and some sugar.[24] Fifty percent of the slaves worked either alone or in groups of fewer than 20 on small farms ranging from the Nueces River to the Red River, and from the Louisiana border to the edge of the western settlements of San Antonio, Austin, Waco, and Fort Worth

Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I have a really good friend from Colorado Springs. It is really conservative and religious. Focus on the Family is HQ in Colorado Springs if that tells you anything. Whats ironic is that you have Boulder, one of the most liberal cities in the country, a few hours north.
I didn't know Focus on the Family was headquartered in Colorado Springs. I learned something today. Yeah I've heard several times that the Colorado Springs area is real conservative. I can believe that Boulder is liberal though because you have a big university there. Usually your big college towns are pretty liberal. Austin has UT and is the most liberal city in TX. Berkeley has UC - Berkeley and is real liberal.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well I'd just like to point out that southern influence does indeed extend farther than East Texas; also, Austin was once home to slavery.
This is true. The big slave part of TX went from present-day I-35 east to the LA border. Cotton was the biggest crop. Slavery and cotton have always been associated with the south. Also TX has a lot of southern Baptists which is another thing that's always been associated with the south.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
But look at this geographically. Austin is surrounded by, well the rest of Texas, for hundreds and hundreds of miles in every direction. And then beyond that are the states of the Deep South or (in the other direction) Mexico.

Northern Virginia is 1.5 hours from the NJ border. Northern Virginia contains two of the wealthiest counties in America, in one of the most highly educated metropolitan areas -- metro Washington/Baltimore. Northern Virginia schools are some of the best nationwide, as investment in education is as top a priority here as it is in New England.

The South begins when you hit 95 heading towards Richmond, somewhere around Fredericksburg. But even this line is fuzzy and moving southward. As more Northerners and immigrants keep flocking to the DC area, and the rapid urbanization of the area continues, any trace of the "Old Dominion" will keep getting squeezed out.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
As more Northerners and immigrants keep flocking to the DC area, and the rapid urbanization of the area continues, any trace of the "Old Dominion" will keep getting squeezed out.
You could say the same for Austin except it's more west coast than northern immigrants flaking to Austin.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
NOVA is not southern anymore. Not at all...

Well I guess there was that one kid who wore a cowboy hat outside class in HS. But he was from South America ;D

Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post

Well I guess there was that one kid who wore a cowboy hat outside class in HS. But he was from South America ;D
Cowboy hats aren't Southern. they're Texan and western. The only southern state I've been to outside of Texas and Oklahoma where cowboy hats are a common part of the culture is Tennessee. If you want cowboy hats, go to Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, etc. Pretty much any Western state where ranching has had a huge influence on the culture.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post

Cowboys hats aren't southern; Furthermore, you can find people wearing cowboy hats in any region of the US. Usually rural parts; just like you'll rarely find cowboy hats in the major cities of Texas.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:26 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
You could say the same for Austin except it's more west coast than northern immigrants flaking to Austin.
Basically. The line is moving more and more to the East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City