Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Is the largest southern Baptist church really in Orange County, CA? When I think of California I think of people that aren't very religious. To me southern Baptists and Californians are at opposite ends of the spectrum. This is probably a stereotype that a lot of people have of CA.
California towns actually dominate the list of America's most conservative cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL We are just going to have to agree to disagree about most of West Texas. Polo (except for the trans-pecos area which is definitely the true SW).

Otherwise, sure, the physical landscape of most of West Texas has nothing in commmon with the Southeast. However, historically and culturally it was heavily influenced by Southern settlers and it is very different from the Hispanic/Native American dominated "Southwest" of New Mexico and Arizona. It is not just the domination of the Southern Baptists, but voting patterns, speech, etc. But with all that said, I acknowledge your points...we are probably just proceeding from different angles. No problem. And of course, we both agree that Texas is essentially a Southern state...which is probably the bottom-line, anyway..

On a related tangent, are you sure about Orange County in California? I will have to check it out, but I had always heard the single largest Southern Baptist Church (in terms of membership numbers) was the First Baptist Church in Dallas...
Yeah, bottom line we agree Texas is in the South. We have an agreement with that. And yes I read somewhere that Saddleback Church in Orange County California was the largest Southern Baptist church in the US. If it's not LARGEST, it's one of the LARGEST.

Saddleback Church

Saddleback Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
California towns actually dominate the list of America's most conservative cities.
Well when I said CA I was thinking of the liberal part of CA (LA and SF). I know there are two Californias, the liberal coast and the conservative interior. Most people seem to forget that a large part of CA is actually conservative. They always think of LA and SF (the liberal part).

Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, bottom line we agree Texas is in the South. We have an agreement with that. And yes I read somewhere that Saddleback Church in Orange County California was the largest Southern Baptist church in the US. If it's not LARGEST, it's one of the LARGEST.

Saddleback Church

Saddleback Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So basically Californians aren't a bunch of liberal atheists like a lot of people around the country seem to think. It seems this is a stereotype like TX is nothing but desert and cowboys.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
So basically Californians aren't a bunch of liberal atheists like a lot of people around the country seem to think. It seems this is a stereotype like TX is nothing but desert and cowboys.
Yes this is a stereotype from what I've researched. And Texas isn't just a bunch of conservative gun lovers like people seem to to think either.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 PM

13 posts, read 231,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
You have clearly never been to West Texas or Big Bend. All of the following pictures were taken IN TEXAS.

Didnt know there were saguaros in TX.

But I love Texas because it's true, you have your Dixie African-American culture on the east, the bayous and piney woods influenced by Lousiana, you have your Midwestern Heartland prairie country in the north, influenced by Oklahoma, and you have your Cowboy-Mexican culture on the West, influenced by New Mexico.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:

Good point...I heard an interesting statistic recently: Colorado Springs has the highest percentage of evangelical christians in the U.S.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Good point...I heard an interesting statistic recently: Colorado Springs has the highest percentage of evangelical christians in the U.S.
Yeah I can believe it. I heard the Colorado Springs area is real conservative. When I hear about real conservative areas I always think they're real religious areas as well. I always feel like being conservative and being religious goes hand in hand. This doesn't hold through in the northeast though because in the northeast you have a lot of Catholics which are also religious people but most people in the northeast are liberals. I guess since I live in the south that's why I have the idea that conservative values and religious values goes hand in hand.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:31 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Nova

Old 11-15-2009, 03:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Yeah I can believe it. I heard the Colorado Springs area is real conservative. When I hear about real conservative areas I always think they're real religious areas as well. I always feel like being conservative and being religious goes hand in hand. This doesn't hold through in the northeast though because in the northeast you have a lot of Catholics which are also religious people but most people in the northeast are liberals. I guess since I live in the south that's why I have the idea that conservative values and religious values goes hand in hand.
I have a really good friend from Colorado Springs. It is really conservative and religious. Focus on the Family is HQ in Colorado Springs if that tells you anything. Whats ironic is that you have Boulder, one of the most liberal cities in the country, a few hours north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City