Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
TX is so big it's like several states wrapped into one. I'm sure TX is the most diverse state in the country landscape-wise.
Nope. California wins that and it's not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I SOMEWHAT agree, I used to live in TX. I think TX is EASILY the #2 MOST diverse landscape state in the country. #1 is California.
Well now that I think about it I guess CA is a little more diverse than TX. CA has the redwoods and the sequoias and the Sierra Nevadas are nicer mountains than the mountains that you have in west TX. Yeah I agree TX is number 2.

It's weird CA and TX are 1 and 2 in population. They're also 1 and 2 in terms of landscape diversity. CA and TX are definitely unique states.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
You have clearly never been to West Texas or Big Bend. All of the following pictures were taken IN TEXAS.

Yeah I know west TX has mountains and desert but I was saying that most of the older westerns weren't filmed in TX. They were set in TX but filmed in AZ or southern CA. This was done for economical reasons. It was a lot closer and cheaper to go from Hollywood to southern CA or from Hollywood to AZ than it was to go all the way to west TX.

Most of TX though isn't desert and mountains though which is the stereotype that was propagated as a result of these westerns.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
You have clearly never been to West Texas or Big Bend. All of the following pictures were taken IN TEXAS.

THIS is INDEED, West Texas. And THIS part of Texas is NOT Southern. Texas IS essentially a Southern state, BUT Call me crazy but I just DON'T see the SOUTH in these pics, no matter how Southern Baptist the people there might be. The LARGEST Southern Baptist church in America is in Orange County California. And this comment wasn't directed at you, I just wanted to use your pics to prove a point. I see the SOUTHWEST in these pics.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Well now that I think about it I guess CA is a little more diverse than TX. CA has the redwoods and the sequoias and the Sierra Nevadas are nicer mountains than the mountains that you have in west TX. Yeah I agree TX is number 2.

It's weird CA and TX are 1 and 2 in population. They're also 1 and 2 in terms of landscape diversity. CA and TX are definitely unique states.
They are also number 1 and 2 in the Hispanic population for states. And they are BOTH minority-majority states.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
THIS is INDEED, West Texas. And THIS part of Texas is NOT Southern. Texas IS essentially a Southern state, BUT Call me crazy but I just DON'T see the SOUTH in these pics, no matter how Southern Baptist the people there might be. The LARGEST Southern Baptist church in America is in Orange County California. And this comment wasn't directed at you, I just wanted to use your pics to prove a point. I see the SOUTHWEST in these pics.
Is the largest southern Baptist church really in Orange County, CA? When I think of California I think of people that aren't very religious. To me southern Baptists and Californians are at opposite ends of the spectrum. This is probably a stereotype that a lot of people have of CA.

Yes I agree those pictures are definitely a western landscape. Just talking about landscape my impression of TX is east of Austin to LA it looks like the south. The great plains in Lubbock and Amarillo look like the midwest. The mountains and desert in west TX look like the west.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
They are also number 1 and 2 in the Hispanic population for states. And they are BOTH minority-majority states.
Yeah the diversity of the people in TX and CA is one of the things that makes these states great. Not only do these states have a lot of Hispanic people but they have quite a few Chinese, Vietnamese, Asian Indian and other types of people. I lived in the upper peninsula of MI for a few years and up there it's 99% white. People up there don't know how to spell diversity.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nope. California wins that and it's not even close.
Actually it is close. Alaska, California, Texas, and Oklahoma win as states with the most ecoregions. Alaska has some insane number, like 20, CA and TX each have 12, then Oklahoma has 11, I think. There was a thread about it here once...

Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
LOL We are just going to have to agree to disagree about most of West Texas. Polo (except for the trans-pecos area which is definitely the true SW).

Otherwise, sure, the physical landscape of most of West Texas has nothing in commmon with the Southeast. However, historically and culturally it was heavily influenced by Southern settlers and it is very different from the Hispanic/Native American dominated "Southwest" of New Mexico and Arizona. It is not just the domination of the Southern Baptists, but voting patterns, speech, etc. But with all that said, I acknowledge your points...we are probably just proceeding from different angles. No problem. And of course, we both agree that Texas is essentially a Southern state...which is probably the bottom-line, anyway..

On a related tangent, are you sure about Orange County in California? I will have to check it out, but I had always heard the single largest Southern Baptist Church (in terms of membership numbers) was the First Baptist Church in Dallas...

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-09-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Actually it is close. Alaska, California, Texas, and Oklahoma win as states with the most ecoregions. Alaska has some insane number, like 20, CA and TX each have 12, then Oklahoma has 11, I think. There was a thread about it here once...
Yeah I think you're right. I didn't even consider Alaska because it's not part of the continental U.S and I don't know much about it. Since Alaska is more than double the size of TX it would make sense that Alaska has 20 ecoregions and TX has 12. TX and CA are about the same size so if they both have 12 this would make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City