Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dunno, personally I find it very hard to dislike CA. It is gorgeous with great cities, amazing geopraphy, food, and the beach.

Also why hate anyplace, they all have people that you will like and some you wont.
I think it's more the stereotypical California culture that turns some people off. I personally don't feel strongly one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
..... ladarron.... YOU started this?
This was years ago, I don't know what I was thinking LOL

Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
This was years ago, I don't know what I was thinking LOL
Well yeah, it was kind of tame 3 years ago compared to now.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
I think I would put this thread in the same category as the thread: " What is the best thing in the world?"

Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times
Montana. The other states just don't realize it yet.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
I'd say there are three states that are most important to the US:

In no order:

California - Economic Diversity, Largest Economy, Largest Population, Direct link to Asia, Agricultural powerhouse, Abundant Natural Resouces...

Texas - Large Economy, Energy Production, Business friendly, Less Expensive, Economic Diversity (though I wouldn't say as much as CA )

New York - Direct Link to Europe, Financial Juggernaut, Player in the Political Scene....

Each of those three have strengths that put them over the other two. But I don't think One truly stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM

409 posts, read 957,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Only choose one state that you think is most important!!
The State of the Economy...we need more jobs Texas, California, New York, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
California, no contest, with Texas as the runner-up. I think a more interesting discussion would be finding which states are the most important relative to their population and land area, of which I think the smaller states in the BosWash metropolitan area would probably take the cake, perhaps with Massachusetts leading the pack. For its size, MA wields a ton of cultural and economic influence, and has a good bit of natural resources to boot.
Yes, the answer to the thread title is California. However (and this is a BIG however), this does not tell us much because importance is not defined so much by states anymore. Rather, it is defined by metropolitan areas and combined statistical areas of cities, and by geographic regions.

So, in order to get a more objective assessment, one needs to look at these three entities rather than states.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, the answer to the thread title is California. However (and this is a BIG however), this does not tell us much because importance is not defined so much by states anymore. Rather, it is defined by metropolitan areas and combined statistical areas of cities, and by geographic regions.

So, in order to get a more objective assessment, one needs to look at these three entities rather than states.
Translation: VOLTRON UNITE!!!

California gets more electoral votes and House representatives than any other state. That alone renders CSAs (which sometime sponge off different states that have completely different sets of laws; hi NYC) comparatively meaningless. But nice try, really.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 08-24-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City