Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Texas cities 120 59.70%
Florida cities 81 40.30%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM

59 posts, read 86,871 times

Advertisements

I do not care for the lack of culture, and the humidity in Florida. Florida is great for a vacation to Orlando or Miami, but not to live. I pick Texas, Dallas or Houston to be exact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
He is not exagerrating, Orlando is the chain restaurant capital of Florida, I am amazed that people in Olando consider Olive Garden fine dining.
Well, that makes sense considering the level of tourism here, now doesn't it? This does not mean there are not gems throughout the actual city that are not chains. Olive Garden is not fine dining...I don't know anyone that lives here that thinks that, so I don't know who you were hanging out with. There are plenty of privately-owned Italian restaurants around. There is obviously not as many as a big city, so it should not be compared to one.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 AM

59 posts, read 86,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Well, that makes sense considering the level of tourism here, now doesn't it? This does not mean there are not gems throughout the actual city that are not chains. Olive Garden is not fine dining...I don't know anyone that lives here that thinks that, so I don't know who you were hanging out with. There are plenty of privately-owned Italian restaurants around. There is obviously not as many as a big city, so it should not be compared to one.
I have been to Orlando many times on business trips and noticed an above average number of chain restaurants. I understand that Orlando has some good upscale restaurants, but I have a hard time believing they are authentic Italian establishments.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Naples is a tourist/snowbird haven. It EXISTS for Season, yet it doesn't have nearly as many strip malls and cheap, and I do mean CHEAP, fast food chains as Orlando. Maybe it has more to do with the wealth of the tourists/snowbirds coming here.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 AM

Default You are not going to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC View Post
I have been to Orlando many times on business trips and noticed an above average number of chain restaurants. I understand that Orlando has some good upscale restaurants, but I have a hard time believing they are authentic Italian establishments.
authentic Italian restaurants, or pizza, or bagels places, in Florida as in the NE. Not going to happen.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
authentic Italian restaurants, or pizza, or bagels places, in Florida as in the NE. Not going to happen.
There are numerous bagel places in the Palm Beaches (Boca/Boynton), and they are as authentic and delicious as it gets. Ever been to Flakowitz? It was featured on the Food network recently as well, and has been a Boca establishment since I can remember. Pizza is also EXCELLENT in South Florida (not the west coast) as well...tons of New York style pizza joints. I would not expect Naples to be on par since it is not Yankee. South Florida has numerous NY transplants and the pizza there can hang with most anywhere, and certainly anywhere outside of New York City itself. If you haven't had good pizza in SF, you simply aren't bothering. If you are ever in Boca, try Augys...it's the best pizza I have ever had in my life, including New York and Italy itself.

Last edited by Pete C; 07-08-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
But I'm sticking to Florida for food. Florida is very underrated when it comes to Food. There are a lot of ethnic foods From all over Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as the traditional southern BBQ. I also believe Florida's seafood is unmatched by anything Texas has.
Houston has a lot of great Latin American food, especially Brazilian and Columbian. Also a lot of great seafood being that it's near the coast and has lots of New Orleans transplants (oil industry job transfers over the last few decades as well as chefs and entreprenuers who have chosen to move).

Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM

The only seafood I like in Florida is the gulf shrimp. Everything else is better in other places.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM

398 posts, read 729,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
He is not exagerrating, Orlando is the chain restaurant capital of Florida, I am amazed that people in Olando consider Olive Garden fine dining.
Have you checked the level of education in Florida-Orlando? So people in Orlando thinking that Olive Garden is fine dining doesn't surprise me.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM

When I was in Orlando Memorial Day weekend, I heard a lot of foreign languages being spoken. No, not Spanish either. Seemed to be a large number of Germans (also Brits) at this time. Maybe they, and the others, would think Olive Garden WAS fine dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City