Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Texas cities 120 59.70%
Florida cities 81 40.30%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Man, the Jags going to Orlando is a waste. What is so hard about driving from Orlando to Tampa to see the Bucs play?
IDK it's only 80 or so miles each way and if you've had a few beers at the game... it can get expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This is the first time I've heard anything about Orlando (and it's been going on for years). It's always been LA, and even though Houston was able to get a franchise against LA, I don't think Orlando could (never had an NFL team for one, and the Bucs are close). Orlando seems more like a lateral move, even if it is a slightly larger TV/Radio market. Two teams is enough Florida. Three is obviously oversaturation.
Actually Orlando is where the Jags were considering moving some of their homes games (testing the idea of relocation if you ask me). Orlando Might Host Jags

Do you really consider a television market twice the size of Jacksonville's a lateral move? TV Market Rankings (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I've actually heard Orlando too. But the thing is, both LA and Orlando have been dismissed as a possibility in the near future.

The owner of the Jaguars says he's not interested in selling or relocating his team. The LA financier has some issues as to how he's not eligible to maintain an NFL team. So LA has to get that worked out first, their situation is a mess. LA is looking more into San Diego's team right now since that's easier to get a hold of, Chargers have to renew their contract every year with San Diego and the city does little to accommodate them better.

Ehhh Jacksonville was a lost cause for an NFL team...
From what I've heard as well, the Jags are temporarily staying put. Orlando would be a great option IMO as the Jags could retain some of their current fan base and expand to a larger market where they already have a following. If Orlando welcomes the NFL like it did the NBA then the team will do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
IDK it's only 80 or so miles each way and if you've had a few beers at the game... it can get expensive.

Actually Orlando is where the Jags were considering moving some of their homes games (testing the idea of relocation if you ask me). Orlando Might Host Jags

Do you really consider a television market twice the size of Jacksonville's a lateral move? TV Market Rankings

From what I've heard as well, the Jags are temporarily staying put. Orlando would be a great option IMO as the Jags could retain some of their current fan base and expand to a larger market where they already have a following. If Orlando welcomes the NFL like it did the NBA then the team will do fine.
Yes, I do consider it a lateral move. If TV Markets were everything, then Houston would not have gotten their new team....LA would. Florida has one too many NFL teams. The Bucs are close enough to Orlando for them to be "Orlando's team". Just like the Magic are close enough to Tampa. The fact that the Jags want to have some games in Orlando and some back in Jax is just more reason for them to move.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
^What are you basing this "one too many NFL teams in Florida" idea on? Texas could probably support another team in San Antonio or Austin, so why do you suggest that Florida can't keep the 3 it already has. The Bucs are 80 miles away. I want a team here and I know the area could/would support it. As for this becoming a reality, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
^What are you basing this "one too many NFL teams in Florida" idea on? Texas could probably support another team in San Antonio or Austin, so why do you suggest that Florida can't keep the 3 it already has. The Bucs are 80 miles away. I want a team here and I know the area could/would support it. As for this becoming a reality, I'm not holding my breath.
What am I basing this on? Attendance numbers for the Jags and the proximity of the Bucs to Orlando. I'm not saying Orlando ant support a team in the future, but not now. Florida is saturated with sports teams and the economy sucks in Florida. Disposable income is another factor (and one reason why San Antonio doesn't have a team). As for it becoming a reality for you guys, I doubt it. LA will get a team before Orlando. I don't think the NFL will pass up the nation's second largest market twice.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,785 times
Miami>>Houston & Dallas
Dallas>>Orlando>>Houston>>Other Florida Cities>>Other Texas Cities

Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
In comparison to these states, which do you think has the better cities?? Which has the better nightlife, natural scenery, food, architecture, museums, people, universities, public transportation, etc??
It was difficult but Florida can only offer Miami and maybe Tampa which have crime problems. I voted for Texas.

Florida largest city Jacksonville has done very little to be known.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
Texas has Dallas and Houston which can both go toe-to-toe with a lot of other major cities. The only city in Florida like that is Miami, no offense to Tampa and Orlando but they just aren't on that level yet. Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, also the largest waste of time.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Texas's cultural and geographic diversity has contributed to a solid regional cuisine from Kolache and pastries (Czechs) to BBQ to Tex Mex to soul food (black Americans) to even Cajun. Some of the best shrimp is caught off the Texas Gulf Coast and Texas beef speaks for itself.
Don't forget German food. There are several German communities in Texas that have great German food. The area around Austin comes to mind, as well as Muenster, Texas.

GERMANFEST MUENSTER, TX
Muenster, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition, there are a lot of Mediterranean and Indian food choices in the DFW area as well as Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
First, I have to say this economy thing is getting annoying. Like that is all Texas offers is a good economy...

Anyway, Texas goes from coastal plains at sea level along the Gulf, to 8000+ft mountains near El Paso. You have the Texas Hill Country around Austin and SA, as well as the pine forests that cover all of eastern Texas down to Houston. You have high plains in Midland-Odessa, on up to Lubbock, but then you have a "mini" Grand Canyon around Amarillo. Florida definitely doesn't have the varying landscapes like Texas...especially the difference weather wise around the state.

As for the cultures between the major ities and then between them and the smaller Texas cities, they an be worlds apart. Houston feels nothing like Austin, which feels nothing like El Paso, etc.

As for Texas' place in American history, if Sam Houston had not won that battle near Houston. The dispute over the Texas border with Mexico (the Nueces vs Rio Grande rivers), gave America an easy reason to go to war with Mexico. The border was settled and agreed upon before Texas started fighting for it's independence. Can you imagine America without California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, etc.?

Florida is a great state, but overall, Texas is more diverse in it's landscapes, climates, and cities, in my opinion.
Great post. Texas has a lot of diversity in its landscape. Florida does not. That, along with the differing climates in Texas also makes it special.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
capital of the Great Plains (Dallas)
Dallas is not part of the Great Plains. Close, but no cigar...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City