Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Texas cities 120 59.70%
Florida cities 81 40.30%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Dallas is not part of the Great Plains. Close, but no cigar...
In Texas, Dallas is apart of the Texas Blackland Prairie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
In Texas, Dallas is apart of the Texas Blackland Prairie.
Good point ladarron, I did not know that.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Don't forget German food. There are several German communities in Texas that have great German food. The area around Austin comes to mind, as well as Muenster, Texas.

GERMANFEST MUENSTER, TX
Muenster, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition, there are a lot of Mediterranean and Indian food choices in the DFW area as well as Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese.

Yeah there's quite a few towns in Texas that were settled by Germans like Fredericksburg,New Braunfels and Boerne

German Texan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fredericksburg Texas Chamber of Commerce

http://www.oktoberfestfredericksburgtexas.com/

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce

Welcome to Wurstfest

Boerne - Escape to the charming Texas Hill Country and shop along main street at art galleries, antique and speciality stores or stay in historic hotels

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Texas has Dallas and Houston which can both go toe-to-toe with a lot of other major cities.
God help us if we're actually comparing other top-notch major cities against Dallas and Houston. That is insulting and not fair to LA, Boston, SanFran, Seattle, DC, Chicago, New York, Philly, Miami, and hell even Atlanta. For their so called size, both Dallas and Houston leave much to be desired.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
God help us if we're actually comparing other top-notch major cities against Dallas and Houston. That is insulting and not fair to LA, Boston, SanFran, Seattle, DC, Chicago, New York, Philly, Miami, and hell even Atlanta. For their so called size, both Dallas and Houston leave much to be desired.
He wasn't even saying all that. But yes, Houston and Dallas can easily compete with all of those cities you listed, except LA, NYC, and Chicago. Though nowadays, even Chicago is becoming debatable.

The fact that you flipped out like that, just because clean_polo said Houston and Dallas can compete with other major cities, shows you have a major chip on your shoulders (against Houston and Dallas). We must be doing something right.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
He wasn't even saying all that. But yes, Houston and Dallas can easily compete with all of those cities you listed, except LA, NYC, and Chicago. Though nowadays, even Chicago is becoming debatable.

The fact that you flipped out like that, just because clean_polo said Houston and Dallas can compete with other major cities, shows you have a major chip on your shoulders (against Houston and Dallas). We must be doing something right.
I don't know about easily competing with all of the other cities. I think Boston, DC, and SF are still more influential. The others are good competition though (save for the odd inclusion of Seattle, as great of a city as it is).

I like the Texas major cities more for the most part. It's a good diversity of "types" of cities. I also already drank the Austin kool-aid and think it's an amazing city.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
I was going by the economy, which the two major Texas cities easily compete with SF, DC, and Boston.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You know I always have Florida's back, but I'm just saying, whats wrong with Dallas and Houston? They are both major cities that can compete with other major cities, I don't see the big deal. Don't get me wrong, I love Tampa and Orlando.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I was going by the economy, which the two major Texas cities easily compete with SF, DC, and Boston.
If we're talking strictly about the private sector and the economy, then yes for DC and Boston. I'm not sure for SF and the Bay Area as the Bay Area has about the same number of Fortune 500 companies, but I believe the Bay Area's are generally larger and more numerous (which accounts for why the Bay Area has more Global 500 companies than either DFW or Houston).

I didn't think people you were quoting were talking strictly about the economy.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 PM

213 posts, read 420,948 times
I love the state of Florida..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City