Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city offers the best institutions of higher education?
Bay Area 46 50.55%
NYC 45 49.45%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
And Bay area has Cal Berkeley which is better than NYU....

Bay area is 2nd best after Boston for higher education.... NYC is maybe 5th at best

This is all just your opinion. Most people disagree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
This is all just your opinion. Most people disagree with that.
Not really.

Most people that keep up with this sort of thing would agree that Boston is the undisputed #1, with the Bay Area a very strong #2.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM

403 posts, read 1,395,067 times
why are we comparing a metro area to a city? I know NY is much bigger than SF, but isnt this a city vs. city forum?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,793,031 times
Quote:
Including Rutgers would lower NY's credibility....

Looking at Montclairs post, my point stands.... YES, Stanford is a superior school to Columbia
I would expect as much from a "US News & World Report" mentality...

Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I would expect as much from a "US News & World Report" mentality...
LOL...I don't buy their undergrad ranking at all.

But their graduate school rankings really do make sense, at least imo.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,793,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL...I don't buy their undergrad ranking at all.

But their graduate school rankings really do make sense, at least imo.
Then you'd understand why I don't agree with Machiavelli's snarkiness about Rutgers...

Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Including Rutgers would lower NY's credibility....

Looking at Montclairs post, my point stands.... YES, Stanford is a superior school to Columbia
Especially in math and sciences, yes. However, the two are easily within reach of one another and are very much comparable.

NYC, even if we're talking about just the city itself, is a fantastic place for schools. NYU, though a step-down in many categories from Berkeley, Stanford, and Columbia, does have programs that rank with the best of them--and therein lies the rationale for NYC being comparable to the Bay Area rather than having the Bay Area being hands-down better than NYC. There are many schools within NYC that are very specialized or have programs that are highly ranked even if the institution as a whole is not that highly-ranked.

In terms of specialized schools you have institutions like Cooper Union, Pratt, SVA, Fashion Institute of Technology, Julliard, Manhattan School of Music, Rockefeller, Barnard, and various culinary institutes which are smaller schools that have smaller name recognition overall due to being smaller schools but are in the top of their respective fields. The Bay Area also has great specialized schools (UCSF, Hastings, and SF Art Institute) but not nearly to the same extent. In addition to that there are schools such as the extensive CUNY system, the New School, New York Institute of Technology, and Yeshiva University which may not be highly regarded as a whole, but have departments and fields that are among the best in the nation.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Then you'd understand why I don't agree with Machiavelli's snarkiness about Rutgers...
Rutgers is a fine school.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
And don't forget the fashion schools NYC has. Sorry, but no other city can compete with us when it comes to that. As much as I love CA.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Schools of high reputation always get the headlines, but most people didnt even go there. I suppose in the end, it matters more that a person puts forth the effort to get an education and actually completes it, then how famous their school is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City