Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That would be cool if NYC/Long Island/Westchester joined New Jersey .
for decades. Long Island join NJ? No, never heard that one before and lived there for 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
^^^^^^^ You're going to make the provincial, small minded types from NYC upset with your assertion.
haha, upset by the truth.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 52,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I choose Massachusetts (big surprise). However both states are very nice. New Jersey always gets a horrible wrap because of the oil refineries outside NYC (granted, they are pretty terrible/ugly)...however Jersey does have some beautiful, beautiful areas and in many ways it's very similar to Massachusetts. The Bivalve area on Delaware Bay reminded me a lot of Cape Cod.

Boston's great, the Cape is beautiful, and it's hard to find another place in the country similar to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. The Hamptons are probably similar.

Also, Massachusetts doesn't have to deal with this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyAzwREVBZs
ahaaha i hate those ******s, crack 1 when i see 1, naw massachussets has to deal with them too. its all of east coast and florida...guidos are ****
oh and props to massachusetts they actually r pretty tied but jersey got my vote and its leading 52-50

Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I've actually heard NYers (from NYC) say they would rather NYC be in NJ rather than NY state, but that's only if NYC couldn't be its own state.
I mean NYC is right along NJ almost isolated from NY state with more NJ similarities than the state itself, so i can see why, but I'm fine with how everything is currently geographically set.

If anything, NNJ, NYC, and LI should be one state... to stop all of the whiners from whining, so i do see where you could be going with this.

These 3 areas are similar to the bill and they all have the biggest egos as it is and their all in denial about having any similarities to each other because they want to feel like an individual even though the rest of the country thinks we're all alike.... why not make them one big individual state so no more outsiders lump us together like we already are one state...
I have an even better idea. Instead of NNJ, NYC and LI becoming one state (naturally Staten Island would be the Capitol!) why not ALL of New Jersey and New York becoming one state!

Imagine from the Adirondacks in the North to Cape May in the South. And Niagara Falls in the West to Montauk Light in the east.

The Delaware Water Gap, The Finger Lakes, The Catskills, The Pine Barrens, The Great Lakes, The Jersey Shore, The Hudson Valley etc. Not to mention the stupendous magnificence of overwhealmingly beautiful Suffolk County!

Now thats a nice state!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:23 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,573,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have an even better idea. Instead of NNJ, NYC and LI becoming one state (naturally Staten Island would be the Capitol!) why not ALL of New Jersey and New York becoming one state!

Imagine from the Adirondacks in the North to Cape May in the South. And Niagara Falls in the West to Montauk Light in the east.

The Delaware Water Gap, The Finger Lakes, The Catskills, The Pine Barrens, The Great Lakes, The Jersey Shore, The Hudson Valley etc. Not to mention the stupendous magnificence of overwhealmingly beautiful Suffolk County!

Now thats a nice state!
We could call the new state New Yorksey

Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times
Default Good One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
We could call the new state New Yorksey

Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Now thats a nice state!
Uh-Oh, thinking outside of the box!
Yea, I thought about NY and NJ connecting, I mean why does NJ have to be crammed between two great cities.. It's like the NY and Philly settlers were teasing NJ by placing the two cities on NJ borders when they have a big chunk of land already.
But it definitely would be hell of a state. No more identity issues.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
Most people I've heard have said that downstate NY should be its own state. Now that's a better idea, lol.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Uh-Oh, thinking outside of the box!
Yea, I thought about NY and NJ connecting, I mean why does NJ have to be crammed between two great cities.. It's like the NY and Philly settlers were teasing NJ by placing the two cities on NJ borders when they have a big chunk of land already.
But it definitely would be hell of a state. No more identity issues.
Well I have news for you New York and New Jersey were united at one time, as part of the New Netherlands. They were also briefly together as part of New York Province until the 1670s.

As for Massachusetts residents here is something interesting:

1. New York State today has Kings (Brooklyn), Queens and Dutchess Counties. We also used to have a DUKES County which included Martha's Vineyard, the Elizabeth Islands and Nantucket*. Thats right, those beautiful Massachusetts islands were once part of New York until the 1690s!
2. New York and New Jersey were briefly part of New England (Dominion of New England) and the Capitol city was..... BOSTON!

* Nantucket is not part of modern day Dukes.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Well I have news for you New York and New Jersey were united at one time, as part of the New Netherlands. They were also briefly together as part of New York Province until the 1670s.

As for Massachusetts residents here is something interesting:

1. New York State today has Kings (Brooklyn), Queens and Dutchess Counties. We also used to have a DUKES County which included Martha's Vineyard, the Elizabeth Islands and Nantucket*. Thats right, those beautiful Massachusetts islands were once part of New York until the 1690s!
2. New York and New Jersey were briefly part of New England (Dominion of New England) and the Capitol city was..... BOSTON!

* Nantucket is not part of modern day Dukes.
And than the English came in and screwed it all up right? hahah I KID!

But seriously i didn't know any of that! I guess you long islanders aren't so bad after all... joke
Rep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City