Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,826,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
If the same things that are located in it now were located in it if it were between GA and SC, then the answer is yes.
Both states culture would be completely different if they were in the south.

The question you asked should of never been asked if even you can't even answer without tweaking it to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,965,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
So, would NJ be as great if it were between South Carolina and Georgia?
If the Queen had balls, she'd be King...............................
I bet good money on the fact that Boston between South Carolina and Georgia would be a bigger version of the largely unimportant Savanna, Ga.

I just cost NJ the Southern vote, but you know I'm telling the truth.
Savanna is a great city, just not a national player.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
If the Queen had balls, she'd be King...............................
I bet good money on the fact that Boston between South Carolina and Georgia would be a bigger version of the largely unimportant Savanna, Ga.

I just cost NJ the Southern vote, but you know I'm telling the truth.
Savanna is a great city, just not a national player.
Which NJ city is the national player? I just want to make the same hypothetical.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Yea I don't think people are getting what you were asking....he's not asking about how the culture would be different. He's saying put NJ alone. What would happen to NJ as a result?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Both states culture would be completely different if they were in the south.

The question you asked should of never been asked if even you can't even answer without tweaking it to death.
Yes, it should be asked, because it goes to the heart of the matter. People are saying New Jersey is great because of what exists in other states. In the real world, that's certainly part of the appeal, but is there intrinsic value in New Jersey without these externalities? In other words, if NJ were located somewhere else, anywhere else, all other things being equal, how would it compare to MA?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Yes, it should be asked, because it goes to the heart of the matter. People are saying New Jersey is great because of what exists in other states. In the real world, that's certainly part of the appeal, but is there intrinsic value in New Jersey without these externalities? In other words, if NJ were located somewhere else, anywhere else, all other things being equal, how would it compare to MA?
Ok...
NJ has 8 million people (2million more than MA), it has the most popular shoreline on the east coast (way more popular than MA), education in NJ is far better than both Philly and NYC, NJ has tons of natural beauty, NJ is far more diverse than MA, NJ is rated safer than most states (though most people are in denial about it), Atlantic City is the the Vegas of the east coast, Newark-Elizabeth offers the most jobs per capita on the east coast excluding NYC, Jersey City is an up and coming underrated city, and NJ has some of the highest paying jobs in the country...

It's like if I said, what is MA without Boston?
I mean everyone is picking at NJ for not having a big major city of it's own, which is almost impossible considering Newark, Jersey City, and Paterson are all in the NYC metro.. the whole state is a metro! You can't expect to make another mega city right outside either Philly or NYC. And on top of all that, it's already the densest state in the country, so having a mega city in NJ making a 3rd metro would make it even more dense to the point of disgust.
MA wouldn't be able to touch NJ if it wasn't for Boston giving the state a stretch... it's like Boston is its only fuel.

I got it all down pat, your not the only one to try to bash NJ with ignorance. NJ has so much backup that can overtake the bashing... believe that

Last edited by BPerone201; 08-25-2009 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,276,343 times
Yeah, anybody who says, "what if NJ was not situated between NYC and Philly" is a little shortsighted. The state lines just happened to have been formed just OUTSIDE these cities (natural borders being the Delaware and Hudson Rivers), but NJ's identity was always largely influenced by these 2 cities, and vice versa. Take for example, Italian and Irish American culture ... NJ was just as much of a hotbed as NYC was.

The reality of it is that NYC is just as much NJ's city as it is Long Island's city. The same number of people work there and contribute to society there. The only difference is state borders. But the spread of ideas, cultures, and general quality of life are not governed by state lines .. they easily transcend such manmade borders.

Not to say NJ does not have it's own identity ... because it certainly does, big time!! But to deny NYC's/Philly's influence is ignoring the obvious. These are 2 major, major US cities, both with extremely significant histories.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I got it all down pat, your not the only one to try to bash NJ with ignorance. NJ has so much backup that can overtake the bashing... believe that
No, you've got it wrong. I like New Jersey, especially for some of the things you've mentioned. We just wanted people to do what you've done -- discuss New Jersey for its own sake, not for it's neighbors. The state can and should stand on its own, no need to talk about NYC in order to promote NJ.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
No, you've got it wrong. I like New Jersey, especially for some of the things you've mentioned. We just wanted people to do what you've done -- discuss New Jersey for its own sake, not for it's neighbors. The state can and should stand on its own, no need to talk about NYC in order to promote NJ.
Oh, than I apologize for my last sentence.
I thought when you said "how does NJ compare to MA" you were making it out like NJ has nothing on MA.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea I don't think people are getting what you were asking....he's not asking about how the culture would be different. He's saying put NJ alone. What would happen to NJ as a result?
but that's almost impossible to do. NJ's placement next to 2 big cities (one which is arguably the world's best) is why core cities are not as important.

Mass is more isolated and the biggest player in new england. the other states have small satelite cities.

its hard to compare the 2. if new jersey was in the south, i would think that Newark and AC would be much more prominent and recognized nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City