Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
but that's almost impossible to do. NJ's placement next to 2 big cities (one which is arguably the world's best) is why core cities are not as important.

Mass is more isolated and the biggest player in new england. the other states have small satelite cities.

its hard to compare the 2. if new jersey was in the south, i would think that Newark and AC would be much more prominent and recognized nationally.
Agreed (in theory), but if NJ was in the South, it wouldn't even be the same size, shape, and it wouldn't have the same cities as we know them. BECAUSE NJ and it's identity has been so closely associated with NY and Philadelphia. But I understand what you're getting at.

A better way to look at it (hypothetically), is what would happen if, in it's current location, NJ existed without NYC and Philly (as if they were just knocked off the face of the earth!). My bet would be that Newark and Jersey City would merge, to form a major city (it would have a population of about 600,000 combining Newark's and JC's population, so it would be similar in size to Boston). And maybe either New Brunswick or Trenton would emerge as a more "southern/central NJ" city. Not Atlantic City, because there is no commerce or industry there aside from gaming/entertainment, and not much infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
-Atlantic City, Jersey city, Newark, and Paterson. And all these places are great places if you really know the whole perspective.
You lost me there...

Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
You lost me there...
Wow, I can't even tell you what I was trying to say. (my apologies for my poor sentence structure)
That was almost ayear ago though, so I'm not even going to try to get into it.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Talking New Jersey and Blowouts.... Perfect together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Hmm. Well, I have spent a lot of time in Morristown over the years, and I never really saw any blowout types there, to be honest. Seems very preppy to me. Unless things have changed.

Either way, that "blowout" look is not unique to NJ by any means. Long Island is really the capital of that look. And I have seen plenty of "blowout types" in Boston as well.
Long Island is the capital? Where? Lol, don't blame us in New York for what is your bad hair problems!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Long Island is the capital? Where? Lol, don't blame us in New York for what is your bad hair problems!
Haha, well I think it's wrong to judge people based on a hair-due (besides, there's far worst hair dues than blowouts)

If you guys are referring to Guido's than LI has just as big of a guido scene as NJ, but I think it's safe to say that Staten Island is the capital.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Its very difficult to choose because of some of the similarities between the two states. I predict that New Jersey may win the poll because of its proximity to New York City, but I had to go with my home state.
Me too, lol.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedcorn View Post
Lets start off with the fact that Massachusetts is shaped like a gun. It is unappealing and promotes violence by tricking the eye of the weak. The state in general makes me wary. You did persecute innocent women because you thought they were witches. I'm just saying you guys are loose cannons and that the real Boston Strangler is still out there.... When I think of Western Mass. I think of the New England version of a redneck. It does have the Basketball Hall of Fame but i'll pass, i'd rather not risk my life dodging bullets to honor some great athletes... Boston seems cool other then the massive herds of irish drunks ravaging the streets day and night like that of the 92 LA riot. Im glad its almost out of the way and further north of nj and ny and it sucks the Pilgrims had to land on this state i could only imagine the disappointment. ahahaha na im joking but NJ is better.
What the...?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
how bout northern nj vs boston burbs

Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM

46 posts, read 98,999 times
I voted for Massachusetts, I have had terrible experiences in New Jersey.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:12 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTitan View Post
I voted for Massachusetts, I have had terrible experiences in New Jersey.
such as
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City