Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
All this reaching. Follow the bold

1. You said hip hop had jazz influences as if the south is supposed to get credit for that. I clearly showed you examples of jazz,blues and hip hop. And they sound nothing alike. For instance jazz and the blues are considered seperate genres, yet you can clearly see blues influence on trhe sound of jazz. Hip hop sounds nothing like the two and if you can watch those vids and see a similarity plz let me know what it is, other than all three being created by blacks

2. I know most blacks came into this country from africa. That was hundreds of years ago. Black people have since formed there own distinctive american culture nothing like our african ancestors. It kills me, a present day black american is as alien to a modern day african as we are to any other race. Black people thinking we have a connection is laughable. Indirectly is a huge stretch. So insignificant that it mines well not be mentioned. By that account Amadeus Motzart was indirectly influenced by Africans. And africans should get some credit, you know that 1% your striving for with the south, on his symphonies

3. The beat comes from america. Show me an example of jamaican music that sounds like early hip hop. If anything hip hop has had a bigger impact on the jamaican sound than vice versa. Check reggae post and pre hip hop. The beat of hip hop comes from 808s. It started off using disco and funk, both american. But the true real hip hop based songs (without funk or disco) had more of a techno sound, and spawned that genre(techno)

For instance, rappers delight heavily influenced by disco, it wasnt really a true hip hop beat but moreso rapping over a disco beat-which in itself is hip hop, if that makes sense but not techinally the sound

YouTube - Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight

This is however a true hip hop beat, and completely original with more of a techno sound

YouTube - Afrika Bambaataa - Looking For The Perfect Beat

Big difference.

There are no divisional tactics. The south gets its respect for its contribution to music, new york wants its full respect for its contribution. Not 98% of it the full 100%. This culture that has started in new york almost completely dominates black culture today.

And mary j is from new york, her whole teenage and adult come up was new york stop reaching
You ever her of of D.J Kool Herc?Ever here of the break beat?You say you know hip hop?LOL!!KRS ONE goes to my church every Sunday.He has spoken on that subject as well as others many times.We just have to agree to disagree,because I have given you several links to different sites.I guess those were all fabrications!!LOL.You came back with music videos,as if I never heard oR SEEN any of those.They prove nothing because what you here and I hear is subjective.When that happens,you have to investigate the source.You keep listing Afrika.Yet you completely ignore the fact that he says himself that he got inspiration from DISCO!!You also mentioned James Brown.If you investigated that further you would know that he was the inspiration for the dances with hip hop.James Brown from AUGUSTA ,GEORGIA.So go ahead if your knowledge gets you through the day.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well stated brother. The South is killing Hip Hop right now. The young kids nowadays are thinking that that's Hip Hop when is not. Everybody should give credit to NY. If anybody want to listen to real Hip Hop listen to New York Minute, Nas, Jadakiss, LL Cool J, etc...
Also you realized that you solidified everything by waht you said under the two videos.
Your quote:

Quote:
For instance, rappers delight heavily influenced by disco, it wasnt really a true hip hop beat but moreso rapping over a disco beat-which in itself is hip hop, if that makes sense but not techinally the sound
and here:

Quote:
This is however a true hip hop beat, and completely original with more of a techno sound
TWO(2) very tell quotes and words.
Influenced by Disco and Techno sound

Technowika and other sites)
Quote:
:The initial take on techno arose from the melding of Eurocentric synthesizer-based music with various African American styles such as Chicago house, funk, electro, and electric jazz.=
Gee whats that last word in that sentence?JAZZ?!OMG!!!

Your Honor The witness is hostile and i move for a dismissal of the case!
Court ADJOURNED!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Also you realized that you solidified everything by waht you said under the two videos.
Your quote:

and here:

TWO(2) very tell quotes and words.
Influenced by Disco and Techno sound

Technowika and other sites)
Gee whats that last word in that sentence?JAZZ?!OMG!!!

Your Honor The witness is hostile and i move for a dismissal of the case!
Court ADJOURNED!!!
What are you trying to implied here?

Anyways look at this video from Dj Kool Herc and you might learn something

YouTube - Kool DJ Herc Hip Hop Legend

Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:
You ever her of of D.J Kool Herc?Ever here of the break beat?You say you know hip hop?LOL!!KRS ONE goes to my church every Sunday.He has spoken on that subject as well as others many times.We just have to agree to disagree,because I have given you several links to different sites.I guess those were all fabrications!!LOL.You came back with music videos,as if I never heard oR SEEN any of those.They prove nothing because what you here and I hear is subjective.When that happens,you have to investigate the source.You keep listing Afrika.Yet you completely ignore the fact that he says himself that he got inspiration from DISCO!!You also mentioned James Brown.If you investigated that further you would know that he was the inspiration for the dances with hip hop.James Brown from AUGUSTA ,GEORGIA.So go ahead if your knowledge gets you through the day.
lmao, at you say u know hip hop. I already told you im from the bronx, bronx river at that, the place hip hop started. Afrika bambaataa and the zulu nation with disco king mario and all that. That history still exist here in soundview. Im getting this through people that actually lived it, not wiki links

The whole purpose of the videos was to show not only you but to other observers that the whole thing is bogus. You can clearly hear no blues or jazz influences within early hip hop. If anything hip hop exploded the way it did because it was something unique,new and fresh

Disco also started in the north(nyc and philly), was not afrikas only influence. The south going to try and claim disco too? lol And you made yourself look stupid with the techno thing. I hope you were just playing with that come on. If you gotta reach like that than....

And lastly, theres a good big differance between james brown signature good foot, and someone spinning around on their head. Stop talking out the side of your neck

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Yeh i bet your "cousin,uncle's ,brother's, nieces,husband's, aunt's boyfriend's grandmother knew Herc and Africa so I guess that makes you so knowledgeable.lol

I NEVER SAID "YOU CAN HEAR JAZZ AND BLUES,I DID SAY "YOU CAN HEAR ELEMENTS OF IT".YOU EVEN SAID IT YOURSELF!!OMG!!oNE THING THAT MUSIC FROM AFRICANS AROUND THE WORLD HAVE IN COMMON IS THE "REPETITION".THIS IS AN AFRICAN TRAIT.WHAT YOU DON'T GET IS THAT HIP HOP IS A GENRE.I GAVE YOU THE DEFINITION OF GENRE.JAZZ AND BLUES ARE "ART FORMS".THEY HAVE A VERY MINUTE OF DEGREE OF ELEMENTS THAT ARE BORROWED FROM ANY MUSIC IN THE WORLD.HIP HOP GOOD NOT HAVE BEEN BORN IF THERE WERE NO BLACK PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.AFRICA IS THE MOTHER OF ALL BLACK MUSIC AND THOUGHT.ONCE IT LEFT AFRICA IT BECAME SOMETHING DIFFERENT,BUT YOU STILL KNOW IT CAME FROM AFRICA.ITS THE SAME WITH HIP HOP.IT IS UNIQUE,DIFFERENT,BUT IT HAS ELEMENTS OF SOMETHING ELSE BEFORE ITS BIRTH.

So I live in Atlanta so I guess I never been to or ever talked with people from the BronX?ALL SOURCES ARE BAD THAT I GIVE BECAUSE IM NOT FROM THERE?LOL!ibY YOUR "REASONING",I GUESS I HAVE TO HAD KNOWN MARTIN LUTHER KING TO KNOW THERE WAS A CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT!!YOU GUYS SEEM UPSET.BECAUSE I GUESS YOUR ATTEMPTS AT DISCREDITING ME HAVE PROVEN FUTILE.ITS OK.REALITY IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.YOUR REALITY AND MINE ARE TOTALLY Different.THERE IS TRUTH,AND ITS ALWAYS THE SAME.

WHAT DO YOU THINK PLANET ROCK CAME FROM.AFRIKA BROUGHT ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION TO THE FOREFRONT.YOU TELLING ME THIS DOES NOT HAVE TECHNO AND HOUSE IN IT?
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcx8Jn23xw

Tech started in Detroit;House, Chicago.You should take some music theory classes.

"TALKING OUT OF MY NECK"?LOL!THEN I GUESSS YOU ARE TALKING OUT OF A NOT SO PLEASANT ORPHICE OF YOUR BODY,SO I GUES YOU ARENT SAYING"*****,YOURSELF.If you cannot understand what i said then Im sorry,thats not my fault.What you choose to do with it is ya business. Just because you are in the Bronx does not mean you know everything about the subject.It still does not change the fact that ALL AMERICAN MUSIC TODAY(ESPECIALLY BLACK)IS ROOTED IN JAZZ AND BLUES ,WHICH CAME FROM THE SOUTH.SORRY THAT HURTS YOU GUYS PRIDE SO MUCH.,HOWEVER DISTANT IT MAY BE.FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME,I DID NOT SAY HIP HOP WAS INVENTED IN THE SOUTH.IM NOT GONNA ARGUE WITH EITHER YOU ARE NYCPAPI ANYMORE.I CAN BE AS STUBBORN AS YOU.YOU CAN'T MOVE ME.I STAND BY MY STATEMENTS.

WHAT'S TELLING IS PEOPLE DISCREDIT YOU WHEN THEY DON'T LIKE YOUR SOURCES(WHICH BTW WAS MORE THAN JUST WIKA).I BET YOU HAVE USED WIKA PLENTY OF TIMES.ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY iTS ALL FICTION WHEN I USE IT.ALSO FUNNY HOW YOU PICK WHAT YOU WANNA DISCREDIT BY MENTIONING THINGS THAT DID NOT EVEN HADVE TO DO WITH WHAT I SAID.TRYING TO PAINT THEM ON ME AS IF I SAID IT SO YOU CAN BOLSTER YOUR ARGUMENT,BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU HAVE NOTHING OTHER THAN YOUR OPINIONS.

NICE TOUCH.YET ONLY SOURCES YOU GUYS POST ARE MUSIC VIDEOS?lol!!ALL THE STUFF I POSTED WAS WRITTEN OR QUOTED.iF YOU DO NOT AGREE FINE.BUT IF YOU SAY ITS NOT TRUE AND I MADE IT UP,THEN PROVE IT.WHAT I SAID WAS TRUE.LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT.
BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND

ATLANTA HAS DEVELOPED A DECENT NEO -SOUL AND HOUSE COMMUNITY. LIKE THE ANANDA PROJECT.ATLANTA ARTIST LIKE ALGEBRA,ANTHONY DAVID,VAN HUNT,GAILE TO NAME A FEW.I WAS LISTENING TO A COMMUNITY RADIO STATION AND THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT IT TODAY.

I BELIEVE THAT LIKE IT HAS BEFORE,MUSIC WILL EVOLVE TO SOMETHING BETTER THAN ITS CURRENT LACKLUSTER STATE.IT COMES IN CYCLES.THE 80'S HAD SOME GREAT ARTIST,BUT OVERALL .IT WAS A WEAK DECADE.THE 90'S WAS THE BEST TO ME.

Last edited by afonega1; 07-22-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
What are you trying to implied here?

Anyways look at this video from Dj Kool Herc and you might learn something

YouTube - Kool DJ Herc Hip Hop Legend
I was SAYING that what he basically said what i have been saying all along.He slipped up!!HE mentioned techno in his description and then blasted me for daring to say that was one of the influences in the day.Makes no sense.Yet I guess im the one making up stuff because "I feel so bad being from the South and all, I need validation from the North to give me hope to carry on".What?in [b]"ghetto southern vernacular"they say "HELL TO Da NAW SHAWTY".I saw that video 20 years ago btw.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:
Yeh i bet your "cousin,uncle's ,brother's, nieces,husband's, aunt's boyfriend's grandmother knew Herc and Africa so I guess that makes you so knowledgeable.lol

I NEVER SAID "YOU CAN HEAR JAZZ AND BLUES,I DID SAY "YOU CAN HEAR ELEMENTS OF IT".YOU EVEN SAID IT YOURSELF!!OMG!!oNE THING THAT MUSIC FROM AFRICANS AROUND THE WORLD HAVE IN COMMON IS THE "REPETITION".THIS IS AN AFRICAN TRAIT.WHAT YOU DON'T GET IS THAT HIP HOP IS A GENRE.I GAVE YOU THE DEFINITION OF GENRE.JAZZ AND BLUES ARE "ART FORMS".THEY HAVE A VERY MINUTE OF DEGREE OF ELEMENTS THAT ARE BORROWED FROM ANY MUSIC IN THE WORLD.HIP HOP GOOD NOT HAVE BEEN BORN IF THERE WERE NO BLACK PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.AFRICA IS THE MOTHER OF ALL BLACK MUSIC AND THOUGHT.ONCE IT LEFT AFRICA IT BECAME SOMETHING DIFFERENT,BUT YOU STILL KNOW IT CAME FROM AFRICA.ITS THE SAME WITH HIP HOP.IT IS UNIQUE,DIFFERENT,BUT IT HAS ELEMENTS OF SOMETHING ELSE BEFORE ITS BIRTH.

So I live in Atlanta so I guess I never been to or ever talked with people from the BronX?ALL SOURCES ARE BAD THAT I GIVE BECAUSE IM NOT FROM THERE?LOL!ibY YOUR "REASONING",I GUESS I HAVE TO HAD KNOWN MARTIN LUTHER KING TO KNOW THERE WAS A CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT!!YOU GUYS SEEM UPSET.BECAUSE I GUESS YOUR ATTEMPTS AT DISCREDITING ME HAVE PROVEN FUTILE.ITS OK.REALITY IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.YOUR REALITY AND MINE ARE TOTALLY Different.THERE IS TRUTH,AND ITS ALWAYS THE SAME.

WHAT DO YOU THINK PLANET ROCK CAME FROM.AFRIKA BROUGHT ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION TO THE FOREFRONT.YOU TELLING ME THIS DOES NOT HAVE TECHNO AND HOUSE IN IT?
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcx8Jn23xw

Tech started in Detroit;House, Chicago.You should take some music theory classes.

"TALKING OUT OF MY NECK"?LOL!THEN I GUESSS YOU ARE TALKING OUT OF A NOT SO PLEASANT ORPHICE OF YOUR BODY,SO I GUES YOU ARENT SAYING"*****,YOURSELF.If you cannot understand what i said then Im sorry,thats not my fault.What you choose to do with it is ya business. Just because you are in the Bronx does not mean you know everything about the subject.It still does not change the fact that ALL AMERICAN MUSIC TODAY(ESPECIALLY BLACK)IS ROOTED IN JAZZ AND BLUES ,WHICH CAME FROM THE SOUTH.SORRY THAT HURTS YOU GUYS PRIDE SO MUCH.,HOWEVER DISTANT IT MAY BE.FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME,I DID NOT SAY HIP HOP WAS INVENTED IN THE SOUTH.IM NOT GONNA ARGUE WITH EITHER YOU ARE NYCPAPI ANYMORE.I CAN BE AS STUBBORN AS YOU.YOU CAN'T MOVE ME.I STAND BY MY STATEMENTS.

WHAT'S TELLING IS PEOPLE DISCREDIT YOU WHEN THEY DON'T LIKE YOUR SOURCES(WHICH BTW WAS MORE THAN JUST WIKA).I BET YOU HAVE USED WIKA PLENTY OF TIMES.ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY iTS ALL FICTION WHEN I USE IT.ALSO FUNNY HOW YOU PICK WHAT YOU WANNA DISCREDIT BY MENTIONING THINGS THAT DID NOT EVEN HADVE TO DO WITH WHAT I SAID.TRYING TO PAINT THEM ON ME AS IF I SAID IT SO YOU CAN BOLSTER YOUR ARGUMENT,BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU HAVE NOTHING OTHER THAN YOUR OPINIONS.

NICE TOUCH.YET ONLY SOURCES YOU GUYS POST ARE MUSIC VIDEOS?lol!!ALL THE STUFF I POSTED WAS WRITTEN OR QUOTED.iF YOU DO NOT AGREE FINE.BUT IF YOU SAY ITS NOT TRUE AND I MADE IT UP,THEN PROVE IT.WHAT I SAID WAS TRUE.LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT.
BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND

ATLANTA HAS DEVELOPED A DECENT NEO -SOUL AND HOUSE COMMUNITY. LIKE THE ANANDA PROJECT.ATLANTA ARTIST LIKE ALGEBRA,ANTHONY DAVID,VAN HUNT,GAILE TO NAME A FEW.I WAS LISTENING TO A COMMUNITY RADIO STATION AND THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT IT TODAY.

I BELIEVE THAT LIKE IT HAS BEFORE,MUSIC WILL EVOLVE TO SOMETHING BETTER THAN ITS CURRENT LACKLUSTER STATE.IT COMES IN CYCLES.THE 80'S HAD SOME GREAT ARTIST,BUT OVERALL .IT WAS A WEAK DECADE.THE 90'S WAS THE BEST TO ME.
I guess in your case you do need validation. And yes it does make a difference that im from the bronx. I live in ground zero for this hip hop thing, i get info from my father,sister,aunt,family friends. Not my brothersmotherssistercousin from the 1st floor.Even with that it would still be better than your info. U get all your info from wiki links your knowledge is laughable.

1.How exactly is hip hop not an artform. If anything its moreso an artform than jazz or blues. Hip hop incorporates-DANCE,ART,LANGUAGE,FASHION AND LIFE IN GENERAL. So what are you saying?

2. Second of all, What do black americans in the seventies have to do with africans. Black americans were extremely far removed from anything african. Yes music has elements of early african music, but its a stretch to say that there is a direct relationship. Black people, to keep it real, only say that because they feel it connects them with their roots or something lol. Black americans dont kno s..t about no damn africa. So stop it. Damn sure no new york city kids in the gritty seventies

3. Third of all, im happy with my attempts to disprove you. Who are people going to believe some guy from atlanta, who credits his knowledge to the fact that he attends the same church as Krs-one. Or a new yorker , originally from bronxriver-the birthplace of this culture, that grew up with this....

4. Techno and house came after hip hop, maybe its you who need to brush up on ya music game. Both are heavily,heavily influenced by hip hop. Matter of fact they credit Bambaataa as being one of the founding fathers of techno aswell.

5. It doesnt hurt my pride one bit, your just wrong and im correcting you.

6.Look at it this way Northern music web-hip hop,techno,gogo(questionable),electronic, house, new rock etc
South web- jazz,blues,original rock and roll, randb
Two different spider webs

Old 07-23-2009, 10:03 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,056,688 times
Yo KONY....

Hip Hop started in the west Bronx....Sedgwick ave.

Not the River.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Like I you even said being somewhere does not make you an expert.I did not say because I went to the same church.I said He speaks on the subject all the time and he goes to my church(or the church I attend sometimes).You keep talking about who told you so i gave you my sources.You are you to determine if my sources or good just like your sources.You obviously do not grasp what im saying and you are not changing anybody's mind because you grew up in Bronx river(silly).I got family in the Bronx and around New York that grew up there.People often create a greater sense of their importance than they really are.

Hip Hop is not and art form because it IS a genre of music.I gave you the references to the meaning several pages back.The only people that consider Hip hop and art form are those that want to promote it because they know little about Art of the composition of what makes Art.Those definitions are universally accepted.Hip Hop does not fit those definitions.It does not mean is less important to the contributions of our society.
Yes I agree with you that most Black Americans then know nothing about their African roots.However there are things that people of African Decent do all over the world.Even many of the dances that we have had in the past and today are African influence if not intentional it is by B]INSTINCT[/b].

I was saying Techno(and Hip-Hop) came from House,which came from Disco,as Disco came from Funk and Soul,which came from R&B,which came from Jazz and Blues.If you cannot see how the time line of Black music works then thats on you.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yo KONY....

Hip Hop started in the west Bronx....Sedgwick ave.

Not the River.
See even other people that know hip hop have disagreements.Knowledge is not always universal.There has to be a written form to chronicle its history.There should be a combination of sources that collaborate what is fact from fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City