Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times

Advertisements

Oh yeh I forgot about Tony Tony Tone! from Oakland too.Is Dr.Dre/NWA? from there too?or is it L.A.?

Last edited by afonega1; 07-19-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Again from your list. Mary J Blige is not from Savannah, GA. She is from the Bronx. She spent a few of her child years in Savannah. But she went back to NY.

Toni Braxton is not from Atlanta. She was born in Maryland and spent her childhood in Maryland and went to college in Maryland.

I'll give you India Arie even though she was born in Denver but like Luda, moved to Atlanta in her early teenage years. Speaking of Luda, it's interesting that you counted him for Atlanta (which you should) but then you counted Kanye who doesn't rep it. Luda wasn't born in Atlanta and Kanye was raised in Chicago. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ne-yo is from Arkansas and mostly reps Las Vegas anyway.
T-Pain is from Tallahassee, Florida and reps Tallahassee.

Most on your list is from Atlanta or some place in Georgia or states surrounding it (because Usher is actually from Chattanooga but that's being picky). But you shouldn't count the ones that are not from there nor if they actually claim it. BTW, Young Jeezy is from Macon.
Thank you for clarifying.You're right I meant to add that about Mary J. Blige.Yes I did say most about Michael Jackson.I meant to say many and especially outside of the country.So I apologize,it was not meant to convey what i said.I worded incorrectly.
The point that i was trying to get across is that Atlanta is no different than many Cities.But its music scene flourishes because people want to be associated with the scene.Years ago,you could not get a foot in the door in NYC if you were from the South doing Hip-Hop.It was out of desire and passion to create a new scene that reflected what people wanted in different regions.That is why NYC and L.A. have lost some of their luster.Not because music was not "hittin off" in those entertainment capitals.Now you do not have to go to NYC and L.A. to get a deal.Atlanta is and will further become greater than it is because of the momentum and desire for people in the South to have something they can call their own.Their is a demographic ship of people from all walks of life moving South.With that,areas will become different culturally speaking.Influence will come from many sources not typically found here.

So many artist that are NYC and L.A. based are and have been in Atlanta studios with artist that are either from or represent Atlanta,to give their music the sounds that only the South has at the moment.Guess where ground zero is in the South?ATLANTA!Houston,New Orleans or Miami don't even come close to the extent of Atlanta's entertainment scene.Itsnot an unfair statement to say that Atlanta is the center of black culture in America TODAY and over the last 10 years or almost 20 years.
That rubs many people the wrong way.Especially many in NYC and other Northeastern cities.That was the last region to really accept the music of the South.

Personally ,I admit a lot of southern rap is just awful.I'm from the South.I think it will eventually get better.People will tire of being bombarded with"mind numbing" junk entering their brains and look for something heavier.That said,it is what it is .People want it so they will buy it

Old 07-19-2009, 12:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,721,264 times
I do not know about R & B but NYC has the best rappers period in the WORLD.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thank you for clarifying.You're right I meant to add that about Mary J. Blige.Yes I did say most about Michael Jackson.I meant to say many and especially outside of the country.So I apologize,it was not meant to convey what i said.I worded incorrectly.
The point that i was trying to get across is that Atlanta is no different than many Cities.But its music scene flourishes because people want to be associated with the scene.Years ago,you could not get a foot in the door in NYC if you were from the South doing Hip-Hop.It was out of desire and passion to create a new scene that reflected what people wanted in different regions.That is why NYC and L.A. have lost some of their luster.Not because music was not "hittin off" in those entertainment capitals.Now you do not have to go to NYC and L.A. to get a deal.Atlanta is and will further become greater than it is because of the momentum and desire for people in the South to have something they can call their own.Their is a demographic ship of people from all walks of life moving South.With that,areas will become different culturally speaking.Influence will come from many sources not typically found here.

So many artist that are NYC and L.A. based are and have been in Atlanta studios with artist that are either from or represent Atlanta,to give their music the sounds that only the South has at the moment.Guess where ground zero is in the South?ATLANTA!Houston,New Orleans or Miami don't even come close to the extent of Atlanta's entertainment scene.Itsnot an unfair statement to say that Atlanta is the center of black culture in America TODAY and over the last 10 years or almost 20 years.
That rubs many people the wrong way.Especially many in NYC and other Northeastern cities.That was the last region to really accept the music of the South.

Personally ,I admit a lot of southern rap is just awful.I'm from the South.I think it will eventually get better.People will tire of being bombarded with"mind numbing" junk entering their brains and look for something heavier.That said,it is what it is .People want it so they will buy it
Your underestimating how many artist come to Miami and Houston.

Houston is a BIG underground city. Atlanta is big when it comes to mainstream. You need to look up Lathium Records, Rap-A-Lot, Screwed Up Click,Swishahouse,etc

People not only go to ATL to get they careers started ,they also go to Houston. I swear it seems like anyone who is based out of ATL; It's like they must atleast mention ATL just once in their songs.

Houston got people fron NYC,CHI,LA,MIA,NO,OK,SF,ETC

You obviously don't know much about Houston or Miami if you think they don't come close to ATL when it comes to rappers.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:

But my argument is not to demean Atlanta's place in entertainment. That was not why I posted my response. I have absolutely positively nothing against Atlanta's entertainment scene. My point was that you can't just claim an artist just because they just moved there to get their start or if the artist did move there to get their start, they don't claim it. Again, that's not for just Atlanta, but for the entire world as I gave many examples.

As far as Atlanta being the center of the entertainment scene for Black Americans, it pretty much is. But, does artists from Houston, Miami, and New Orleans need to go to Atlanta to make it big? No, because they've already do so without going to Atlanta such as 2live Crew and Tricky Daddy from Miami, Master P and Cash Money from New Orleans, and Scarface and the Geto Boyz from Houston. Neither needed Atlanta but Atlanta obviously has outdone these cities in the mainstream not only in hip hop but in R&B too. Personally, Houston's underground scene is much more talented than Atlanta's but this is my opinion. But to these cities, Atlanta is not ground zero. Now to Birmingham, Chattanooga, Tallahassee and Jacksonville, Mississippi, and South Carolina, Atlanta is ground zero. To Miami and Memphis, Atlanta is very connected with them. To Houston (especially) and New Orleans, Atlanta is not ground zero to them in anyway. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are actually meaning by that.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But my argument is not to demean Atlanta's place in entertainment. That was not why I posted my response. I have absolutely positively nothing against Atlanta's entertainment scene. My point was that you can't just claim an artist just because they just moved there to get their start or if the artist did move there to get their start, they don't claim it. Again, that's not for just Atlanta, but for the entire world as I gave many examples.

As far as Atlanta being the center of the entertainment scene for Black Americans, it pretty much is. But, does artists from Houston, Miami, and New Orleans need to go to Atlanta to make it big? No, because they've already do so without going to Atlanta such as 2live Crew and Tricky Daddy from Miami, Master P and Cash Money from New Orleans, and Scarface and the Geto Boyz from Houston. Neither needed Atlanta but Atlanta obviously has outdone these cities in the mainstream not only in hip hop but in R&B too. Personally, Houston's underground scene is much more talented than Atlanta's but this is my opinion. But to these cities, Atlanta is not ground zero. Now to Birmingham, Chattanooga, Tallahassee and Jacksonville, Mississippi, and South Carolina, Atlanta is ground zero. To Miami and Memphis, Atlanta is very connected with them. To Houston (especially) and New Orleans, Atlanta is not ground zero to them in anyway. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are actually meaning by that.
I knew as soon as I stated what I said I would get people defending their cities.I never said that other cities did not have a viable music business in their perspective cities.There are many that do,but my statement was aimed at the black entertainment sector as a whole,not just music.Music is closely tied to movies and videos.Artist rotate between different genres all the time.Atlanta will never be NYC or even L.A.However as it pertains to the entertainment industry that includes "BLACK" music,there is no way you can tell me Houston,New Orleans or even Miami can come close?

As far as "needing" to come to Atlanta is as obsolete as having a need to go to NYC or L.A.I was referring to exposure,number of entertainment facilities (like studios),producers and writers,Production companies etc..Of course Houston being the center of that region in the South it will receive the lion share from that area.The thing about Atlanta is that it is becoming more of a national center for "BLACK" artist that are usually reserved for cities such as L.A. and NYC.Now a days as it goes,you cannot somehow be connected to Atlanta some way even if you are an artist based elsewhere.I cannot say the same is true for Houston ,New Orleans and Miami.

There is such a large pool of young professionals in the Hip Hop industry that are well off and educated all across Atlanta.The only place I see or hear of that so often,or of course L.A. and New York.Houston or any other major cities cannot say that does not give you that no matter how much some will protest.I could be wrong but someone has to prove it to me.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:
Actually out of that list.maybe only one or two are not from Atlanta.Anyway,why do people say that when the "same is true for NYC too?".People move to these music places to get discovered.As more music recording and producing gets redistributed,the old faithful standbys are not as relevant as they once were.Its not like every artist that is big is from NYC.Yet people hardly ever bring that up when discussing where artist are from or where their created their craft.That "pompous " attitude is what got NYC and LA ought of whats in now.
Yes ALL genres of music is weaker now.I agree.Lets remember that no matter what you say,All the music that is considered African American is rooted deeply from the "DEEP SOUTH".Those are the roots,however it branched and changed from there is well after the fact.So its not like there is a lack of creativity,its just not what's making money,and unfortuanately,money rules.
All besides hip hop

Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
All besides hip hop
What most music theory educators consider the roots of what is American music ,has its roots in the American South.Why?Slaves as came up with a way of embracing what was new and put it with there own culture.African culture that became a mix of European ideals combined with the rhythmic beats and sounds of Africa.Blues and Jazz are considered America's only true form of music created in America.Hip hop,Country,Pop,Rock,House, and Disco all have their roots in jazz and blues.You could not have Hip hop without those.You cannot make Green without blue and yellow.It is and off shoot of those origins.While it may be it different from those styles today,it does not change the fact of where it came from.Hip hop is and exaggeration of the foundations of the African experience in America.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
I knew as soon as I stated what I said I would get people defending their cities.I never said that other cities did not have a viable music business in their perspective cities.There are many that do,but my statement was aimed at the black entertainment sector as a whole,not just music.Music is closely tied to movies and videos.Artist rotate between different genres all the time.Atlanta will never be NYC or even L.A.However as it pertains to the entertainment industry that includes "BLACK" music,there is no way you can tell me Houston,New Orleans or even Miami can come close?

As far as "needing" to come to Atlanta is as obsolete as having a need to go to NYC or L.A.I was referring to exposure,number of entertainment facilities (like studios),producers and writers,Production companies etc..Of course Houston being the center of that region in the South it will receive the lion share from that area.The thing about Atlanta is that it is becoming more of a national center for "BLACK" artist that are usually reserved for cities such as L.A. and NYC.Now a days as it goes,you cannot somehow be connected to Atlanta some way even if you are an artist based elsewhere.I cannot say the same is true for Houston ,New Orleans and Miami.

There is such a large pool of young professionals in the Hip Hop industry that are well off and educated all across Atlanta.The only place I see or hear of that so often,or of course L.A. and New York.Houston or any other major cities cannot say that does not give you that no matter how much some will protest.I could be wrong but someone has to prove it to me.
Houston and Miami don't market themselves to only the black audience though. Houston has strong ties with the black and Hispanic community.

African Americans believe ATL is the best city for successful blacks; However, once they get there they see it's just like anywhere else. Trust me, Houston has lots of black educated professionals outside the Hip Hop Industry and in it. You just don't see Houston marketing it self as the American Dream for African Americans, unlike Atlanta.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:
What most music theory educators consider the roots of what is American music ,has its roots in the American South.Why?Slaves as came up with a way of embracing what was new and put it with there own culture.African culture that became a mix of European ideals combined with the rhythmic beats and sounds of Africa.Blues and Jazz are considered America's only true form of music created in America.Hip hop,Country,Pop,Rock,House, and Disco all have their roots in jazz and blues.You could not have Hip hop without those.You cannot make Green without blue and yellow.It is and off shoot of those origins.While it may be it different from those styles today,it does not change the fact of where it came from.Hip hop is and exaggeration of the foundations of the African experience in America.
Hip hop is a northern urban based genre of music. I see very little,if at all of jazz and blues in hip hop. Certainly not enough to give the south credit for its creation. Hip hop is a completely original form of american music created in new york.

* And how can atl claim itself the black capitol over new york? Harlem by itself is more influential than atl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City