Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

In the 90's Atlanta was the place.LaFace was putting out artist left and right.
Newer Artist(90's to current)
Arrested Developement,Mista,Toni Braxton,Jagged Edge,112,Kriss Kross
Monica
OutKast,YoungBloodz,Goodie Mob,TLC,Silk,Keith Sweat,Xscape resident for over 20 years
More current Artist
T.I.,Ludacris,Keri Hilson,Ne-yo,Usher,T-pain,Ciara,Bobby Valentino,Johnta Austin,Kelly Rowland and Kanye West (born in Atlanta),Lil Scrappy,Young Joc,Young Jeezy

Neo Soul scene:Indie Arie,Van-Hunt,Anthony David,Donnie,Gnarles Barkley

Artist from Georgia and nearby:
Macon,GA Little Richard
Ottis Redding
Augusta,GA James Brown
Albany,GA -Ray Charles
[/b]Savannah,GA Mary J. Blige

Again from your list. Mary J Blige is not from Savannah, GA. She is from the Bronx. She spent a few of her child years in Savannah. But she went back to NY.

Toni Braxton is not from Atlanta. She was born in Maryland and spent her childhood in Maryland and went to college in Maryland.

I'll give you India Arie even though she was born in Denver but like Luda, moved to Atlanta in her early teenage years. Speaking of Luda, it's interesting that you counted him for Atlanta (which you should) but then you counted Kanye who doesn't rep it. Luda wasn't born in Atlanta and Kanye was raised in Chicago. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ne-yo is from Arkansas and mostly reps Las Vegas anyway.
T-Pain is from Tallahassee, Florida and reps Tallahassee.

Most on your list is from Atlanta or some place in Georgia or states surrounding it (because Usher is actually from Chattanooga but that's being picky). But you shouldn't count the ones that are not from there nor if they actually claim it. BTW, Young Jeezy is from Macon.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Now DFB, D4L maybe having fun. But most of the music out now isn't improving hip hop's image at all. Especially since you have rappers glorifying selling drugs.
Maybe. But what I meant about "improving hip hop's image" is that artists like Lil Wayne, Solja Boy, etc. have cross-demographic appeal/exposure, which most hip-hop artists don't have. Sure you may not like their music much, but that component is something that's very valuable, and what most artists of any musical genre would kill to have.

Quote:
It's pure garbage on the radio and tv right now. Pure garbage. Then you have people that know little about hip hop laugh at the hip hop fans for the shuckin and jiving that's going on with the genre. It's pretty tiring to stick up for it in the music forum.
I don't feel the need to defend hip-hop to the ill-informed. Considering that we live within a violent society, and the artists anti hip-hop fans listen to usually end up in trouble with the law, have sex with groupies, take drugs, and end up committing suicide or dying prematurely, they really have no room to talk. It's not only exclusive to rap. Two wrongs don't make a right, though. As for glorifying the selling of drugs and such -- some talk/reflect/fictionalize about it, some promote actually doing it. I've never heard UGK, for example, promote selling cocaine. If anything, they(mostly Pimp C) expressed regret. But I don't see how this hurts hip hop's image, when this is a part of life. People watch violent movies and such, and glorify the Mafia, or the cocaine era of South Florida during the 70s-80s. How is talking about these real-life situations and occurrences in music really any different.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 AM

My problem is not talking about it. But that's the only thing you want to talk about and then glorify it. That's Jeezy's career in a nutshell. Like the song from Juelz Jeezy and Lil Wayne talking about makin crack. That was an embarrassment and it was stupidity at it's finest. You can mention it. But then denounce that because kids are the ones that are mostly listening to your music.

I really don't care what the other genre's are actually doing. I know they have it's problems and you know what, I don't care if they have their problems. I only care about what hip hop does and how it affects the people that created it and right now, over the past 20 years, there is some music that should not be marketed or played to the masses.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
I still cant believe oakland and/or the bay area is missing from this list. It is at least a top 5 hip-hop region in this country, no doubt. There are other cities listed that have no place here!
THis thread sucks just 4 the fact that the bay is being ignored. The Bay Area is number 2 or 3 when it comes to the rap game.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
I've already stated my point which IMO was very obvious. I wasn't even the first to respond to that list, somebody else did. I never said Atlanta is not capable of a flourishing music scene. You're putting words in my mouth. But you can't claim all these artists from your area if they are not from there. Sure they may have gotten their start there, but they aren't from there. Da Brat got her start in Atlanta but she isn't from there nor did she ever claim it. I've brought many other examples from other various artists. I don't see why that is so hard to understand.
Im not putting words in your mouth.You stated something that is common place in the music industry.I asked because if that is the case elsewhere,then why is it different in Atlanta?Why is it even necessary to what the topic is?Like I said before the artist that I named either were born or were raised in Atlanta or either a significant amount of time was spent in Atlanta.Why is that so hard to understand?Your statements and the other persons statement was a veiled attempt at trying to discredit the musical talent that flourishes here.How could anyone get anything else out of those statements.That is why I asked the question,that you keep avoiding because you know thats exactly what you are trying to say." I don't see why that is so hard to understand."Yes I agree.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
THis thread sucks just 4 the fact that the bay is being ignored. The Bay Area is number 2 or 3 when it comes to the rap game.
Are we talking in the past or now?I agree in the past.M.C Hammer kinda really brought the area in the spotlight.,Oaktown 357,B Angie B,but you gotta give me some knowledge of who and what has been going on there in the last few years.
One of my favorite artist,Adrianna Evans was a underrated gem.That first album is so GOOD even today.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 AM

74 posts, read 278,895 times
Rap back in the 90's was great but it's bs. Tell you what what does every hip hop song have in common these days? Girls,sex,Money, and thinking he/she is the top dogg. It's stupid and annoying. I flipped the switch to Underground,But HipHop/Rap will never be the same anymore.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not putting words in your mouth.You stated something that is common place in the music industry.I asked because if that is the case elsewhere,then why is it different in Atlanta?Why is it even necessary to what the topic is?Like I said before the artist that I named either were born or were raised in Atlanta or either a significant amount of time was spent in Atlanta.Why is that so hard to understand?Your statements and the other persons statement was a veiled attempt at trying to discredit the musical talent that flourishes here.How could anyone get anything else out of those statements.That is why I asked the question,that you keep avoiding because you know thats exactly what you are trying to say." I don't see why that is so hard to understand."Yes I agree.
It's not different in Atlanta. As I brought up other examples from other cities as well such as 8ball and MJG getting their start in Houston but they repped Memphis and everybody knows them of Memphis. Same with Big Mike. Same the DOC of NWA. Atlanta's not the only city where people get their start.

They may have spent a significant amount of time in Atlanta. Does not make them hail from Atlanta nor does that make Atlanta claim them. Again Houston doesn't claim 8ball and MJG, why should Atlanta claim artists that aren't from there?

I didn't try to discredit anything from Atlanta as I already know that Atlanta has a great deal of talent. I know who actually hails from Atlanta and who has made an impact from the Atlanta scene. I've mentioned this constantly throughout this message board in the music forum and on hip hop based threads on this forum. SO what question are you asking that I'm supposedly avoiding?

You said most people would commonly associate the Jacksons's with California. Three of us said we never actually heard this at all. You somehow found that hard to believe from us. But it's the truth. Many people do not associate the Jacksons with California.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Also people like Frankie J and Baby Bash got they start in Houston.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 AM

258 posts, read 1,034,684 times
buffalo

Chae Hawk - 'OSHINE! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

check him out

its more electro-rap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City