Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Which brings me to another question.Why are people just focus on hip-hop,but not R/B?The question was for both in one place?So why is NYC leading?I don't know many famous r+b singers from NYC.Thats what I was alluding to in my earlier post about how the line gets blurred.Where people are from versus where their talent and skills are honed or discovered.I think Atlanta has gotten to that point like NYC or L.A. where people are associated with a city due to its sheer number of people that are being produced,recorded,signed or discovered.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Which brings me to another question.Why are people just focus on hip-hop,but not R/B?The question was for both in one place?So why is NYC leading?I don't know many famous r+b singers from NYC.Thats what I was alluding to in my earlier post about how the line gets blurred.Where people are from versus where their talent and skills are honed or discovered.I think Atlanta has gotten to that point like NYC or L.A. where people are associated with a city due to its sheer number of people that are being produced,recorded,signed or discovered.
Even still, Atlanta shouldn't be top pick. Hip Hop is not a strong point for Atlanta. It's more like the Bay Area or Detroit.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Yes it was born in NYC,after its parents traveled a North.The kid(hip hop) grew up listening to their parents playing their old Little Richard,Sam Cooke,Ottis Redding,Jon Coltraine, and Sarah Vaughn records.They did not care much for "old folks" music at the time,so they preferred the new stuff they were playing in the Discos,like Donna Summer,The Ojays, Parliament Funk,The Commodors.On Saturdays they would get together with their new friends that they met from the "barrio".They spoke Spanish,but like them, with little money and nothing to do,they went to watch SOUL_TRAIN on Saturday mornings because anything for Black people or those of color,were not important enough to be on T.V.during prime time hours.They like all the wild styles,with bright colors and "jive talking" to each other.They especially liked watching the sexy Asian chick with the long hair dance every weekend to artist like Shalamar and The Emotions.

On Sunday after church they would go over "Big-mama's house.All she played while she cooked Sunday dinner, was Gospel music by artist like Rev.James Cleveland,Mahalia Jackson.They asked her "did she ever listen to anything else when she was their age"?She said "Baby"!I used love me some Ray Charles,Duke Ellington,Charlie Parker,Louis Armstrong,Ella Fitzgerald and Cab Callaway..She played some of her old records but again the kids just were not into it.Several years went by.Disco was getting old.Life in the city was getting harder for everyone.Some new drug called crack was taken root and people started dying everywhereSeem like the neighborhood started going down as some people wanted to get away from the city's problems and live a quiet life with the kids.Their mom and Dad split up and the Kids(hip-Hop)now older started to throw themselves more and more into music.They got tired of all that disco and those crzy styles.They wanted something new.They were just fed up with society and how they felt alienated.It seemed no body cared or wanted to listen to anything they had to say.They only way they knew how to express themselves and make themselves noticed was by saying whats on their mind by being "poetic".But hey poetry was for girls!The streets were tuff,you did not want anyone to think you were "soft".You had to be "aggressive".
Story is cute but off. For one ya timeline is off ,crack didnt hit hard to the mid/late eighties and nineties like almost 15 years after hiphop was formed. Kids were not rhyming over jazz or blues beats. I dont know why you keep saying this. Dudes were rhyming on james brown beats or party 808 induced beats. Early hip hop was never aggressive it was strictly party music, that aggressive stuff came later, if anything its goal was too stop gang violence or violence in general.

Hip Hop started in community centers in the projects it is a strictly urban artform. After there parents traveled north? By the time hip hop came out it was like atleast 2,3 maybe 4 generations raised in new york. Black people moved out of the south in the 1920's, hip hop was invented in the seventies 50 years later. Southern culture was in no way relevant to a black person in new york in the 70s

You seem to think there is this underlying southern culture that exist among all black people in the united states. In the north blacks have their own culture and hip hop is a reflection of that. Im sorry but your attempts to give the south browny points on hip hops creation fall flat

Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Story is cute but off. For one ya timeline is off ,crack didnt hit hard to the mid/late eighties and nineties like almost 15 years after hiphop was formed. Kids were not rhyming over jazz or blues beats. I dont know why you keep saying this. Dudes were rhyming on james brown beats or party 808 induced beats. Early hip hop was never aggressive it was strictly party music, that aggressive stuff came later, if anything its goal was too stop gang violence or violence in general.

Hip Hop started in community centers in the projects it is a strictly urban artform. After there parents traveled north? By the time hip hop came out it was like atleast 2,3 maybe 4 generations raised in new york. Black people moved out of the south in the 1920's, hip hop was invented in the seventies 50 years later. Southern culture was in no way relevant to a black person in new york in the 70s

You seem to think there is this underlying southern culture that exist among all black people in the united states. In the north blacks have their own culture and hip hop is a reflection of that. Im sorry but your attempts to give the south browny points on hip hops creation fall flat
Music evolves......

Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM

And why is nyc leading? Who does ATL really have. The Dream? lol. Who from atlanta has had a bigger impact than Alicia Keys, girl from harlem, this decade. Who from atlanta is messing with Mary J Blige the queen of RnB. Who has atlanta produced bigger than mariah carey in the last twenty years? Or luther vandross both new yorkers? If anything new york should be insulted that atlantas this close

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 07-21-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
And why is nyc leading? Who does ATL breally have. The Dream? lol. Who from atlanta has had a bigger impact than Alicia Keys, girl from harlem, this decade. Who from atlanta is messing with Mary J Blige the queen of RnB. Who has atlanta produced bigger than mariah carey in the last twenty years? Or luther vandross both new yorkers?
Now I agree with this. I picked NYC, because it has produced amazing artist in both genres. Atlanta is big in the RNB scene, but rap is where it falls off imo. Speaking of mainstream.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
The problem with the Bay Area artists is that none of their music appeals to anyone outside of the Bay Area. Maybe just in Cali but that's it.
That is not true, maybe with a lot of the hyphy artists, but many artists from the bay are widely listened too and others not so much. It also has to do with being independent, artists from the bay tend to not sell out. The Bay is the most bitten off place from slang to style, the bay has started a good 50% of what is used in hip hop today. THe bay is a rap mecca.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
And why is nyc leading? Who does ATL really have. The Dream? lol. Who from atlanta has had a bigger impact than Alicia Keys, girl from harlem, this decade. Who from atlanta is messing with Mary J Blige the queen of RnB. Who has atlanta produced bigger than mariah carey in the last twenty years? Or luther vandross both new yorkers? If anything new york should be insulted that atlantas this close
Touchy.I never said Atlanta was the be all or the south was.Are you threatened by Atlanta?The fact that Atlanta is barely one tenth the size of NYC and IS competing is pretty remarkable.(Since you wanna bring up the poll). If you are the top dog act like it and no that you cannot get to the top without help.You know there are many definitions of "AGGRESSIVE".Music was evolvong out of the disco era.The in your face style was definately more "agressive" than what had ever been before.You keep talking about people not listening to "jazz or blues".Show me when I said people that created Hip-Hop from Jazz?Im trying to school you,but apparently you have ADD.LOL(just joking calm down).Any who,I never said thats what they were listening too.I was explaining like others have tried to explain to you,that Hip hop came from many different sounds INDIRECTLY.Mostly those styles and cultural markers(like "call and response"), from African American traditional music and language.You do know in this country,most blacks from the founding of this country came from Africa to slave states.New York was not a slave state.The majority of most blacks in the North today trace their rots to the South.Many did not move up north untill the early 1900's to 1960's.Much of My own family moved to Philadelphia , NYC,and Chicago from as early as the 1870's.My grandparents stayed,while some of their sibling left.The other component is the beat of hiphop which comes from from the West Indies(jamaica).But the melodies were taken from Disco and which was coming down hard in popularity.Disco isa form of Soul music which has roots in Blues and Jazz.Hence Rhythm and Blues.By your accounts Africa had no bearing on hip hop ?Do you believe that?

As far as brownie points,LOL.The South does not need any.We fought hard to get where we are today for ALL our black brothers and sisters ,North,South,East,West.The truth that you and some others don't see how just as today Hip Hop which was started in NYC has touched all people in the African Diaspora.We as black people claim all our accomplishments as one.You and your silly divisional practice is classic "divide and conquer" politics left over from the plantation masters.Accept now spreads into the consciousness of black people who want to buy in to it.We cannot separate from each other no more than we can separate from AFRICA.We are all from AFRICA.BLACK is BLACK is Black.Jamaican,Ghanain,Nigerian,Brazillian,Canadia n,you name it!Our experiences are inter twined .

Mary J was born and raised mostly in NYC,but she said she spent a few years in Savannah as well every summer for most of her childhood..People and life experiences influence people more than you give credit.All those famous people like Luther,guess where they honed their talents?THE CHURCH.Gospel music from the South.Rock and Roll from The South(Little Richard,considered the original "Rock and Roll star from Georgia).

New Yorkers need to face reality that NYC is only the "boom box",so yes they should be ashamed of thinking themselves as omnipresent.I digress..Good Day sir.......I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!!!!!LOL

Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Touchy.I never said Atlanta was the be all or the south was.Are you threatened by Atlanta?The fact that Atlanta is barely one tenth the size of NYC and IS competing is pretty remarkable.(Since you wanna bring up the poll). If you are the top dog act like it and no that you cannot get to the top without help.You know there are many definitions of "AGGRESSIVE".Music was evolvong out of the disco era.The in your face style was definately more "agressive" than what had ever been before.You keep talking about people not listening to "jazz or blues".Show me when I said people that created Hip-Hop from Jazz?Im trying to school you,but apparently you have ADD.LOL(just joking calm down).Any who,I never said thats what they were listening too.I was explaining like others have tried to explain to you,that Hip hop came from many different sounds INDIRECTLY.Mostly those styles and cultural markers(like "call and response"), from African American traditional music and language.You do know in this country,most blacks from the founding of this country came from Africa to slave states.New York was not a slave state.The majority of most blacks in the North today trace their rots to the South.Many did not move up north untill the early 1900's to 1960's.Much of My own family moved to Philadelphia , NYC,and Chicago from as early as the 1870's.My grandparents stayed,while some of their sibling left.The other component is the beat of hiphop which comes from from the West Indies(jamaica).But the melodies were taken from Disco and which was coming down hard in popularity.Disco isa form of Soul music which has roots in Blues and Jazz.Hence Rhythm and Blues.By your accounts Africa had no bearing on hip hop ?Do you believe that?

As far as brownie points,LOL.The South does not need any.We fought hard to get where we are today for ALL our black brothers and sisters ,North,South,East,West.The truth that you and some others don't see how just as today Hip Hop which was started in NYC has touched all people in the African Diaspora.We as black people claim all our accomplishments as one.You and your silly divisional practice is classic "divide and conquer" politics left over from the plantation masters.Accept now spreads into the consciousness of black people who want to buy in to it.We cannot separate from each other no more than we can separate from AFRICA.We are all from AFRICA.BLACK is BLACK is Black.Jamaican,Ghanain,Nigerian,Brazillian,Canadia n,you name it!Our experiences are inter twined .

Mary J was born and raised mostly in NYC,but she said she spent a few years in Savannah as well every summer for most of her childhood..People and life experiences influence people more than you give credit.All those famous people like Luther,guess where they honed their talents?THE CHURCH.Gospel music from the South.Rock and Roll from The South(Little Richard,considered the original "Rock and Roll star from Georgia).

New Yorkers need to face reality that NYC is only the "boom box",so yes they should be ashamed of thinking themselves as omnipresent.I digress..Good Day sir.......I SAID GOOD DAY SIR!!!!!LOL

All this reaching. Follow the bold

1. You said hip hop had jazz influences as if the south is supposed to get credit for that. I clearly showed you examples of jazz,blues and hip hop. And they sound nothing alike. For instance jazz and the blues are considered seperate genres, yet you can clearly see blues influence on trhe sound of jazz. Hip hop sounds nothing like the two and if you can watch those vids and see a similarity plz let me know what it is, other than all three being created by blacks

2. I know most blacks came into this country from africa. That was hundreds of years ago. Black people have since formed there own distinctive american culture nothing like our african ancestors. It kills me, a present day black american is as alien to a modern day african as we are to any other race. Black people thinking we have a connection is laughable. Indirectly is a huge stretch. So insignificant that it mines well not be mentioned. By that account Amadeus Motzart was indirectly influenced by Africans. And africans should get some credit, you know that 1% your striving for with the south, on his symphonies

3. The beat comes from america. Show me an example of jamaican music that sounds like early hip hop. If anything hip hop has had a bigger impact on the jamaican sound than vice versa. Check reggae post and pre hip hop. The beat of hip hop comes from 808s. It started off using disco and funk, both american. But the true real hip hop based songs (without funk or disco) had more of a techno sound, and spawned that genre(techno)

For instance, rappers delight heavily influenced by disco, it wasnt really a true hip hop beat but moreso rapping over a disco beat-which in itself is hip hop, if that makes sense but not techinally the sound

YouTube - Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight

This is however a true hip hop beat, and completely original with more of a techno sound

YouTube - Afrika Bambaataa - Looking For The Perfect Beat

Big difference.

There are no divisional tactics. The south gets its respect for its contribution to music, new york wants its full respect for its contribution. Not 98% of it the full 100%. This culture that has started in new york almost completely dominates black culture today.

And mary j is from new york, her whole teenage and adult come up was new york stop reaching

Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
All this reaching. Follow the bold

1. You said hip hop had jazz influences as if the south is supposed to get credit for that. I clearly showed you examples of jazz,blues and hip hop. And they sound nothing alike. For instance jazz and the blues are considered seperate genres, yet you can clearly see blues influence on trhe sound of jazz. Hip hop sounds nothing like the two and if you can watch those vids and see a similarity plz let me know what it is, other than all three being created by blacks

2. I know most blacks came into this country from africa. That was hundreds of years ago. Black people have since formed there own distinctive american culture nothing like our african ancestors. It kills me, a present day black american is as alien to a modern day african as we are to any other race. Black people thinking we have a connection is laughable. Indirectly is a huge stretch. So insignificant that it mines well not be mentioned. By that account Amadeus Motzart was indirectly influenced by Africans. And africans should get some credit, you know that 1% your striving for with the south, on his symphonies

3. The beat comes from america. Show me an example of jamaican music that sounds like early hip hop. If anything hip hop has had a bigger impact on the jamaican sound than vice versa. Check reggae post and pre hip hop. The beat of hip hop comes from 808s. It started off using disco and funk, both american. But the true real hip hop based songs (without funk or disco) had more of a techno sound, and spawned that genre(techno)

For instance, rappers delight heavily influenced by disco, it wasnt really a true hip hop beat but moreso rapping over a disco beat-which in itself is hip hop, if that makes sense but not techinally the sound

YouTube - Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight

This is however a true hip hop beat, and completely original with more of a techno sound

YouTube - Afrika Bambaataa - Looking For The Perfect Beat

Big difference.

There are no divisional tactics. The south gets its respect for its contribution to music, new york wants its full respect for its contribution. Not 98% of it the full 100%. This culture that has started in new york almost completely dominates black culture today.

And mary j is from new york, her whole teenage and adult come up was new york stop reaching
Well stated brother. The South is killing Hip Hop right now. The young kids nowadays are thinking that that's Hip Hop when is not. Everybody should give credit to NY. If anybody want to listen to real Hip Hop listen to New York Minute, Nas, Jadakiss, LL Cool J, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City