Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
San Diego 121 66.85%
Dallas 60 33.15%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times

Advertisements

In my honest opinion:

The reason I became a moderate was simply because of these two states. They are my favorite two states in the country, California being my favorite.
They are such different dynamics and politically they wont ever get along until one of them either joins team red or team blue. And thats probably going to be Texas sooner than later to be honest. Latino voters are becoming an asset for valuable voters as are other minority groups and many Caucasian people are democrats as well in the big cities of Texas.

But in reality, people can sugarcoat problems all they want to show how one is worse than the other, but there are two sides of the story to everything. OJ Simpson had his side in his case and the prosecutors and families of the victims had theirs. How you present yourself is how you win.

I'm studying law and one thing I have learned is, right or wrong does not matter, how you present yourself does, how you make your argument appealing. As I read this thread I saw both sides. Both cities literally are mirror images of their state in this comparison.

In all honesty, can you say you're happy in either state? Sure you can. But can you say everyone is happy in either state? No. Why?
Because both states have the crappiest state government I have ever seen in my life for any state. One of them has nearly economically ruined themselves the other one has socially ruined itself.

Which is worse? To be out of a job and worrying every night how to tell your wife that you might have to sell your house and move (California) or to practically make money at the expense of others and then reconfirm yourself by saying "business is business" (Texas).

Californians have been coming in droves, yeah because of the economy, its a very attractive asset to a place, its one of my main two assets in a location the other being natural scenery. California could have been a Utopia for me but it only has half, Texas has the other half.

Politics play a major role, but you're making it seem like people in Texas are being forced to live life a certain way. Yeah Marijuana laws aren't like California. But honestly, the government in no way has interfered in my personal life and the things I do. So thats not the case, and I'm doing fine.

And in my opinion, no matter what is said from either side, the truth is, they are both politically trash states. California's major stronghold comes from environmental and human rights but it desperately lacks money management and marginal spending tactics. Texas's strong point is it knows how to do business, people in Texas benefit from good and nice paying jobs and a great lifestyle and a beautiful home because of the way our state does business and helps us do business. My mother has her own company, something that would have been a lot harder to do in Chicago, and a lot less profitable.

People who chase money and believe cash is king, Dallas is for you. People who love the outdoor environment and love nature and scenery then San Diego is for you.

I'm a mix of both, I love nature quite a lot, and I love a city with a great economy. I guess all fingers are pointing to Seattle for me.

What do you want more?

VS

Economical progression or Beautiful surrounding in nearly every way possible. It really is a tough choice. Take your pick.

Personally I would love a combination of both, but that option is limited.

Both cities excel at different things, which is what makes both of them attractive in their own ways. Depends on what you value the most though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
^ interesting. I'm studying law too

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
^ interesting. I'm studying law too
Haha, another similarity. *high five*

Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,110,114 times
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington videos

YouTube - I-30W Arlington Fort Worth Texas

YouTube - Dallas Texas Night Tour

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
It is true. Many transplants complain that California is too expensive. well if you want to live the good life and live in an area that is still growing, you got to work for it. It's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter

Couldn't agree more, that exists really in all areas of the country, to not believe that is insane. BTW I live in what would most would consider the MOST competitive region of the country so you are telling me nothing I don't already know, but again this really was off point, my comment was around specifically energy, so using you logic, if Cali wants cheaper energy they have to work for it, no one will hand it to them on a silver platter, that was the essence of my original post...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Sorry but your analogy doesn't make sense. California and probably Pennsylvania pay more federal taxes then we receive in benefits. Mississippi and a handful of relatively poor states like Alaska are subsidized by wealthier states. Now power companies in Texas are funding a proposition to stop California from implementing existing clean air legislation just because that may cut into their profits. And when they raised the cost of power against California 9 years ago it was merely an effort to extort. If that kind of capitalism is OK with you then I am glad you do not live in California and I suppose you are in favor of doing away with all regulations of industry; something Texas favor even if the majority of people suffer. Like I mentioned before, it is a values issue and frankly I am glad that the people of California regulate\ heavily tax those who destroy the environment. Maybe Republicans are unsympathetic; Texas is essentially a Republican state and it shows.

This is an idealistic view, yes all industries lobby, part of the country we live in. CA has every right to regulate and legislate, but then again (my original point) don't cry wolf on the cost associated. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Want to fix that - build your own infrastructure and produce it yourself, it is really that simple.

And I agree on the Taxes, but also remember places like LA or San Diego or Phoenix for that matter would not exist had the Federal Gov't intially paid most of the freight for the infrastructure. You can actually argue the same for the highways of TX, that bill will come them at some point too.

But again, on power fix it don't complain. It is neither Republican nor Democratic, Liberal or Conservative, that is just business.

You will not see it but your post cries Utopia and we are better because we care, but please someone else pay for it or build the infrastructure that creates pollution, truly you seem smart you must understand this aspect. Paradise comes at a cost.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Cali, its cities and evn moreso it's amazing beauty. All comes with balance. Also, IMHO both Conservative and Liberal Ideals are flawed...

Old 08-18-2010, 12:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
In my honest opinion:

The reason I became a moderate was simply because of these two states. They are my favorite two states in the country, California being my favorite.
They are such different dynamics and politically they wont ever get along until one of them either joins team red or team blue. And thats probably going to be Texas sooner than later to be honest. Latino voters are becoming an asset for valuable voters as are other minority groups and many Caucasian people are democrats as well in the big cities of Texas.

But in reality, people can sugarcoat problems all they want to show how one is worse than the other, but there are two sides of the story to everything. OJ Simpson had his side in his case and the prosecutors and families of the victims had theirs. How you present yourself is how you win.

I'm studying law and one thing I have learned is, right or wrong does not matter, how you present yourself does, how you make your argument appealing. As I read this thread I saw both sides. Both cities literally are mirror images of their state in this comparison.

In all honesty, can you say you're happy in either state? Sure you can. But can you say everyone is happy in either state? No. Why?
Because both states have the crappiest state government I have ever seen in my life for any state. One of them has nearly economically ruined themselves the other one has socially ruined itself.

Which is worse? To be out of a job and worrying every night how to tell your wife that you might have to sell your house and move (California) or to practically make money at the expense of others and then reconfirm yourself by saying "business is business" (Texas).

Californians have been coming in droves, yeah because of the economy, its a very attractive asset to a place, its one of my main two assets in a location the other being natural scenery. California could have been a Utopia for me but it only has half, Texas has the other half.

Politics play a major role, but you're making it seem like people in Texas are being forced to live life a certain way. Yeah Marijuana laws aren't like California. But honestly, the government in no way has interfered in my personal life and the things I do. So thats not the case, and I'm doing fine.

And in my opinion, no matter what is said from either side, the truth is, they are both politically trash states. California's major stronghold comes from environmental and human rights but it desperately lacks money management and marginal spending tactics. Texas's strong point is it knows how to do business, people in Texas benefit from good and nice paying jobs and a great lifestyle and a beautiful home because of the way our state does business and helps us do business. My mother has her own company, something that would have been a lot harder to do in Chicago, and a lot less profitable.

People who chase money and believe cash is king, Dallas is for you. People who love the outdoor environment and love nature and scenery then San Diego is for you.

I'm a mix of both, I love nature quite a lot, and I love a city with a great economy. I guess all fingers are pointing to Seattle for me.

What do you want more?

VS

Economical progression or Beautiful surrounding in nearly every way possible. It really is a tough choice. Take your pick.

Personally I would love a combination of both, but that option is limited.

Both cities excel at different things, which is what makes both of them attractive in their own ways. Depends on what you value the most though.
Excellent post Danny

Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is an idealistic view, yes all industries lobby, part of the country we live in. CA has every right to regulate and legislate, but then again (my original point) don't cry wolf on the cost associated. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Want to fix that - build your own infrastructure and produce it yourself, it is really that simple.

And I agree on the Taxes, but also remember places like LA or San Diego or Phoenix for that matter would not exist had the Federal Gov't intially paid most of the freight for the infrastructure. You can actually argue the same for the highways of TX, that bill will come them at some point too.

But again, on power fix it don't complain. It is neither Republican nor Democratic, Liberal or Conservative, that is just business.

You will not see it but your post cries Utopia and we are better because we care, but please someone else pay for it or build the infrastructure that creates pollution, truly you seem smart you must understand this aspect. Paradise comes at a cost.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Cali, its cities and evn moreso it's amazing beauty. All comes with balance. Also, IMHO both Conservative and Liberal Ideals are flawed...
And I don't hate Texas either or Pennsylvania for that matter. I know we can't have it "our" way in California on everything. And I am reminded that California can play hard ball with other states also [ie. boycott of Arizona]. I do strongly believe in regulations of all industries and must remind the U.S. that California has led the way on this issue and not just because we have the worse smog. Offshore drilling was halted decades ago and the preservation of certain plants, insects and animals started in California first [ie Sierra Club]. Many trends start in California and then are adopted by the rest of the country.

You are correct that it isn't simply a liberal or conservative issue; I reminded a poster that Reagan was one of the most environmentally-friendly governors California has ever had and laid the groundwork on many policies that protect ecology. And one of our U.S. senators, a liberal Democrat, Diane Feinstein, often favors big business interests yet gets re-elected year after year even though she must be close to 80 yrs old.

Frankly, I'm not even sure how we got off into this side discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM

648 posts, read 1,619,880 times
Dallas today is better than ocean and mountain personally. I like mansions first nature second. Mansions are beautiful more than nature to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City