Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
San Diego 121 66.85%
Dallas 60 33.15%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times

Advertisements

ok I am just defending where I came from and why I like it here, just like you are defending yours talking about praries and lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
so by you saying we have amenities that we dont use, and yall have amenities that you don't use, so that makes your city better? And sorry, you still don't have seasons, I hope that's not what you're trying to argue.

people living in the mountains sort of removes them from the recreational amenity pool.

when you lived in dallas did you use ANY of those things I mentioned? i'll bet my life savings (which in Texas is likely exponentially greater than yours in Cali) that you did NONE of those things. And instead sat on your couch and bitched about Dallas. i know tons of people who do this. they are a sad bunch indeed.

sorry, tons of californians move here and say its basically the same deal minus mountains and beaches, which they don't really use all that much. my friends from texas living in cali noted how little of an impact having the beach and mountains there has on anybody's day to day life. get over yourself. san diego cannot hold a candle, or a gaslamp, to dallas except as a tourist destination and this is an internationally accepted fact.
Most people living in a year-round mild to warm climate don't want cold or hot weather. I'm not saying that everyone in California loves sunny and warm days on end but it is so easy to live in such a climate. For example, no one even needs to bother with heavy winter clothes. Flip flops, t-shirts and shorts are comfortable enough except at night when a sweater or light jacket is necessary. And what's amazing is that those are the same clothes a person wears during summer. It is cheaper not having to buy clothing specific to a season. I do know how hot it is in Dallas since I looked it up; so many people probably avoid going outside until sunset and air conditioning is an absolute necessity. A person in San Diego never even has to stop and think what it is like outside since it hardly ever rains and the temperature is comfortable. It is just a much easier climate and why so many people live in California.

Dallas and San Diego are two quite different cities and given the choice I think many people would pick San Diego over Dallas. In California there are cities that have similarities to Dallas and they are all inland away from the ocean. Places like San Bernardino, Sacramento and Fresno are very hot in summer and mostly flat land; though mountains are close by. None of these California cities are even close to the population of Dallas metro but probably have as many cultural advantages and are close enough to other California cities for a person to enjoy a weekend in San Francisco or Los Angeles. That's one of the reasons San Diego is so popular. A person can drive out to Palm Springs during winter, play golf in 80F temp or swim and then take the tram up to the top of Mt San Jacinto to play in the snow. A person in Dallas can not do that in winter unless they either take a plane to Miami or Aspen Colorado. And that is just one example of how much more a person can do living in San Diego.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I never lived in Dallas. I have lived in California my whole life. I have vacationed to Texas and was not a fan.

Ok so because a few bitter ex Californians, say that doesn't make it true. I hear from ex Texans that people there are judgemental, extremely conservative, that Dallas is hot, humid, and boring. it doesn't mean it's true. People have their own opinions and just because you live in the mountains doesn't mean you can't get off your butt and take a short drive to the beach. That was such a rediculous statement. In your mind, it may beat San Diego because you live in Dallas so no wonder you say that, in my head if I had to leave San Diego and move to Texas (god forbid) I would move to Austin. Austin is very similar to San Diego and I like it better than any other city in Texas.
Different strokes for different folks. God forbid I had to move to overpopulated and bankrupt state that needs to learn how to pratice some fiscal responsibility. Its ashame when a state has to legalize weed to make a little cash. Just for the record I am a democrat. The state of Texas isn't as red as people make it out to be. Texas is on the verge of becoming a swing state within the next decade.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. God forbid I had to move to overpopulated and bankrupt state that needs to learn how to pratice some fiscal responsibility. Its ashame when a state has to legalize weed to make a little cash. Just for the record I am a democrat.
that's funny but not the real reason marijuana may be legalized. But at least Californians have a say in these kind of decisions. Would legalizing marijuana even come up for a vote in Texas? I doubt it. You being a Democrat know how frustrating it must be living in Texas. When I did a google search on your governor I almost wanted to vomit and could never live in a state where the ultra-rightwing have so much power that they abuse regularly. I feel sorry for you, seriously.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
I don't care that it's bankrupt, it is still an amazing state with so much to offer as far as entertainment, scenery, weather, quality of life, beaches, etc.

That is such crap that you even bring the economy into this. I hate the fact that our state is trying to get clean energy but Texas is paying money to Prop 23 to get the state of California to stop clean energy plans. That is bullsh*t. I think Texas lawmakers and oil companies should mind thier own business. That is another reason I don't like Texas. It is so rightwing, I want to vomit. At least we have a say in what we want for our state. I doubt Marajuana or gay marriage would even come up for vote in Texas. oh yeah and I am messing with Texas!

STOP the Texas Oil Companies' Dirty Energy Proposition (http://www.stopdirtyenergyprop.com/get-the-facts.php - broken link)

Old 08-17-2010, 02:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
I got to know Dallas and hated it.
These conversations are funny to me.

Its crazy that some people are trying to measure Dallas and San Diego against each other when they are pretty opposite. Where one excels, the other doesnt. Therefore, lots of people who like one wont care that much about the other.

For example, San Diego has an endless supply of outdoor activities. From the mountains to the beaches, to the lakes, and the nearby desert, there is nothing you cant do. San Diego has a very moderate climate. Its never too hot or too cold. Its a very laid back place and as scenic as it gets. No arguement that Dallas very much lacks in this category.

Dallas' power is in its economy. It has a better economy, it has a larger economy, and is more relevant on the world stage economically than San Diego. Its job market is the envy of most places.

Things where I would say Dallas and San Diego are relatively close are:

1) Diversity. Both are just of 50% non-Hispanic white per metro area. Their Hispanic populations are similar, but San Diego has a higher concentration of Asians and Dallas has a higher concentration of African-Americans.

2) Nightlife. Lower Greenville/Knox-Henderson and the Gas Lamp district remind me a lot of each other. Downtown San Diego reminds me more of Uptown Dallas.

All things considered, if SoCal had a similar cost of living and a similar economy, I never would have left LA. But it doesnt and I find myself very happy in North Texas even though I miss the mountains terribly.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM

190 posts, read 430,761 times
Quote:
Ok so because a few bitter ex Californians, say that doesn't make it true. I hear from ex Texans that people there are judgemental, extremely conservative, that Dallas is hot, humid, and boring. it doesn't mean it's true. People have their own opinions and just because you live in the mountains doesn't mean you can't get off your butt and take a short drive to the beach. That was such a rediculous statement.
These folks were not bitter ex-Californians they loved the state as much as you...they were just being realistic, not a walking "come hang with Ahnold in califohneeya" tv advertisement.

surely you can understand how a generalization like "judgemental, extremely conservative, that Dallas is hot, humid, and boring" is much more subjective and, well, in itself judgmental and hostile than "i like having the mountains and beach around but they don't really alter my day-to-day routine".

as for this- "People have their own opinions and just because you live in the mountains doesn't mean you can't get off your butt and take a short drive to the beach. That was such a rediculous statement"

...i just have no idea what you're trying to say.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM

Texas has a very bad reputation in California since the power companies charged California outrageous amounts of money about 10 yrs ago when Bush was president. It was blatant capitalistic corruption that Texas is known for [ala Enron] and something California never allows. Now these very same power companies want California to stop regulating smog with global warming measures. It is the difference between California wanting a clean environment and Texas' selfish money schemes in spite of the people who breath their foul polluted crap. Big differences in values and Texas looks sad when it comes to real values beside Bible-belt nonsense.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
In California there are cities that have similarities to Dallas and they are all inland away from the ocean. Places like San Bernardino, Sacramento and Fresno are very hot in summer and mostly flat land; though mountains are close by. None of these California cities are even close to the population of Dallas metro but probably have as many cultural advantages .
Not at all. Dallas and DFW have many times the cultural advantages (and diversity I might add) of places like Fresno and San Bernadino.

The only thing Dallas has in common with them is the heat.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

190 posts, read 430,761 times
california has a very bad reputation in texas since y'all are flocking to our state in the hundreds of thousands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City