Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtownruth View Post
Southeast (Gulf Coast):

Best: Culture/history, nice people, great food, beach access, non-summer weather

Worst: not urban enough as a whole, not enough public transportation, hot and humid summers, hurricanes, the perception from other people

Northeast:

Best: urban, not car dependent, things to do

Worst: rude people, weather (winter), high cost of living

Don't know how our food can be called terrible. Someone needs some shrimp 'n grits.
>>>>>
Someone needs some shrimp 'n grits.
<<<<<

Now that might be an obvious difference between all ya'll folks from the Deep South and me and my kin over here in the South-Central. I'll keep my grits the way God intended 'em: lots of butter and sugar, no shrimp please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM

402 posts, read 852,897 times
Default good things

Northeast has really cool cities.
Southeast is very affordable and combines old charm while still having a new feel.
West coast has great weather and cool cities.
Mountain west is beautiful.
Midwest is cool too I guess.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Northeast:

Pros: More urban, cool cities, cool people, nice summers.

Cons: Sometimes being too crowded can be a bad thing, cold winters.

Fav Cities: NYC, Philly

-------------------------------------------
Southeast:

Pros: Newer looking/feel to it, nice winters, lower cost of living, good looking girls.

Cons: Summers are too humid, too much suburbs/sprawl, the chance of driving through a backwards hick town.

Fav cities: Atlanta, Miami, Orlando (only because its my hometown)

----------------------------------------------------------
Midwest:

Pros: Farms?

Cons: tornados, harsh winters

Fav cities: Chicago

-----------------------------------------------------
West:

Pros: Beautiful scenery, great weather, cool cities.

Cons: earthquakes, High cost of living

Fav cities: LA, Seattle, Las Vegas.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Someone needs some shrimp 'n grits.
<<<<<

Now that might be an obvious difference between all ya'll folks from the Deep South and me and my kin over here in the South-Central. I'll keep my grits the way God intended 'em: lots of butter and sugar, no shrimp please.
Well, ole buddy, I KNEW it was coming. The day you and I would disagree. It was law of averages if nothing else...

BUT...grits? My good friend... Grits should have nothing more on them than REAL butter (you said this one), and pepper. Sugar makes them Cream of Wheat. Just like sugar makes cornbread to be poundcake!

We sure agree on catfish though! And gonna have to have that meet n' eat at Bills some day!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 PM

299 posts, read 937,913 times
Yes, sugar doesn't seem quite.. right. Salt and pepper, butter, and best of all: cheese. You can't even have a holiday without some cheese grits. It should be noted, however, that cheese grits and shrimp 'n grits are not mixable.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, ole buddy, I KNEW it was coming. The day you and I would disagree. It was law of averages if nothing else...

BUT...grits? My good friend... Grits should have nothing more on them than REAL butter (you said this one), and pepper. Sugar makes them Cream of Wheat. Just like sugar makes cornbread to be poundcake!

We sure agree on catfish though! And gonna have to have that meet n' eat at Bills some day!
Hahahaha!

Well, the way I like it is with the butter cooked in and then I add the sugar of course to make 'em "froo-froo" as my dad would say, LOL. That's how I always ate my sticky white rice....lots of butter and sugar turns it into a decent little dessert.

My folks use the salt/pepper in their grits....guess, I've been too citified! The shrimp thing is what kinda grossed me out; but Lord knows we eat things here in Oklahoma and Texas that probably grosses out our Deep South Brothers and Sisters as well. :-]

Oh, and yes, I totally agree with ya on the cornbread. "Take that sugar out of my cornbread and put it back in my tea! I obviously like sugar (which might explain my extended beltline), but not in my cornbread.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM

74 posts, read 224,538 times
West (My native territory)
Best: Weather, recreation, open-minded people, entrepreneurial people, landscape, natural beauty, high standard of living in most parts
Worst: Extremely liberal politics (SF, LA), illegal immigration, high cost of living, some snobbery (OC, SF, LA)

Pacific Northwest
Best: Incredible natural beauty, outdoor recreation, more affordable than CA
Worst: Aloof people, depressing weather, not a lot between major cities (Portland/Seattle)

Southwest
Best: More natural beauty (upper AZ, NM, Southern UT), good cities for business (PHX, ALBQ), great resorts and spas! Reasonable cost of living, good political balance
Worst: Dry, dry, dry. Unbearable heat in the summer, lots and lots and lots of desert, water challenges

Rocky Mountain
Best: Geography (stunningly beautiful), best ski slopes anywhere, great sports territory (Denver is fantastic for pro teams), Boise has a great college following
Worst: Wicked weather, people are cool and aloof, Red State/Blue State mashup = dysfunctional politics, elevation is not for the faint of breath, very isolated vs rest of country

South (where I currently live)
Best: Low cost of living/housing, moderate climate, interesting history, lots of good day trips, excellent coastline and beaches, mountains, recreation, mustard based BBQ, less intrusive Gov't
Worst: Too conservative (and I'm a REPUBLICAN!), Bugs!!, humidity, boring beyond belief, friendly people who are impossible to become friends with, church culture, terrible restaurants (except in Atlanta)

Northeast
Best: New York City
Worst: New York City

Florida
Best: Weather, beaches, babes, entertainment choices, MUSIC! (especially latin)
Worst: Humidy (more so inland), flat, buggy, SE Florida not very anglo-friendly in parts, crime!, NE liberal transplants + Southern conservative natives = more dysfunctional state politics

Last edited by HopDude; 12-03-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM

33 posts, read 32,567 times
Mine:

Northeast
Best: Tons of history and many unique cities close to each other
Worst: congestion, cost of living

South
Best: Great food, good weather, nicest people
Worst: Did anyone else see Deliverence

Midwest:
Best: Nice folks (except Chicago) great beer
Worst: Winter!

West:
Best:many great cities, best natural scenery, great weather (except Arizona)
Worst: cost of living, congestion, more transient in spots

Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
this is fun =)

Northeast
Best: history, mass transit options, diversity, architecture, education system (comparatively), progressive
Worst: cost of living, winters (mostly in the northern part)
Fave Cities: NYC, DC, Philly

South: excluding FL
Best: cost of living, weather (except the super humid days)
Worst: way too conservative/backwards, suburban layout of cities, lots of poor states/areas with awful education attainment levels
Fave Cities: Charleston, Asheville, Savannah

Midwest:
Best: friendly people, cost of living,
Worst: landlocked (too far from oceans), too conservative/backwards in some parts, winters!!
Fave Cities: Chicago, Milwaukee

West:
Best: liberal, open minded, diversity, urban cities, weather (mostly in the southern half),
Worst: cost of living, congestion
Fave Cities: SF, Seattle, Portland

Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Northeast:

Best - Close proximity to a variety of states, a lot of diversity in cultural activities, good Italian food

Worst - Disgustingly rude people, horrible winter weather, extreme regulatory nanny state mentality, terrible roads

South:

Best - Some of the nicest people on Earth, great pace of living, traditional American culture, great food, beautiful landscape, people who aren't obsessed with being radical pseudo-Marxist atheist vegans, THE REAL AMERICA. God, I love the South.

Worst - Humidity (Which I will take any day over these horrible Northern winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City