Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 05:56 PM

553 posts, read 410,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I spent the weekend in Chicago and it has the most beautiful downtown region in the nation (IMO). Its clean, well maintained, landscaped, utilities are hidden, sidewalks are generally well-kept, etc., and that doesn't even include the architecture. Philadelphia (and others) should look to Chicago for maintenance ideas. Outside of improving the obvious problems like poverty, crime, etc., an investment in QOL at street level would really bring Philadelphia to the next level.
Chicago is refined to the point it's almost sterile.. Yet classy. I wish there were more engaging businesses with some sidewalk presence like you see in major global cities. We need more entertaining plazas, food trucks, street vendors, souvenir stands, retail kiosks, outdoor cafe's, open air markets, sculpture, art, large signs, interactive screens, colorful lights, street performers etc. We lack that NY & London urban intensity. Chicago legislates much of that out of the atmosphere. The Riverwalk environment has the same kind of organized and tidy but sterile vibe.

Last edited by IronWright; 06-04-2021 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 06:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Chicago is refined to the point it's almost sterile.. Yet classy. I wish there were more engaging businesses with some sidewalk presence like you see in major global cities. We need more entertaining plazas, food trucks, street vendors, souvenir stands, retail kiosks, outdoor cafe's, open air markets, sculpture, art, large signs, interactive screens, colorful lights, street performers etc. We lack that NY & London urban intensity. Chicago legislates much of that out of the atmosphere. The Riverwalk environment has the same kind of organized and tidy but sterile vibe.
I would say that the downtown core over the recent years has become a little sterile (lots of modern glass buildings, etc), but the neighborhoods are still unique. There are outdoor cafes, local flare, unique architecture, shopping districts, etc. Downtown is very touristy and the more sterile architecture is somewhat reflective of that. Although there is enough of Chicago’s original architecture that it is historically known for, so it’s not completely drowned out.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would say that the downtown core over the recent years has become a little sterile (lots of modern glass buildings, etc), but the neighborhoods are still unique. There are outdoor cafes, local flare, unique architecture, shopping districts, etc. Downtown is very touristy and the more sterile architecture is somewhat reflective of that. Although there is enough of Chicago’s original architecture that it is historically known for, so it’s not completely drowned out.
Agree, the neighborhoods are a much more pleasing experience but the vast majority will never venture into them. Bringing life to the core should be a priority. The downtown needs a pedestrian friendly-makeover. Active uses on lower levels of buildings would be a great place to start and should be a zoning must.

We have committed some pretty self-destructive crimes against our historic architecture in the neighborhoods as well. If only Chicago had been more reverent to its past. We have lost countless treasures for some banal infill city-wide. Luckily we at least have a protection process today though many still slip through. These Sun-Belt quality apartment buildings are helping cheapen the landscape.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:01 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0 View Post
Hit the nail on the head. That somewhat chaotic street life is exactly what Chicago's missing. Purposefully, which is what's so odd to me.
In the loop. But other that first time tourists and commuters. Who actually goes to the Loop? Thats not a place where you go

Old 06-05-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In the loop. But other that first time tourists and commuters. Who actually goes to the Loop? Thats not a place where you go
It's River North, Streeterville, Lakeshore East, South Loop and the Gold Coast as well. Chicago doesn't offer street activity/entertainment on a mass scale in general.

As '3.0' also said. It is a sort of "chaos" that is missing. New York and London especially have a palpable intensity with all of the characteristics vying for pedestrian attention that I listed earlier. Chicago tries to be too discreet and refined but that comes at the cost of vibrancy and organized madness that only the most global urban mega-centers provide en-masse. There are pockets but they lack the same vibe and character that I'm referencing.

Chicago legislates away much of the street presence that drives that type of intensity. Also, active uses on the lower levels of skyscrapers/high-rises does a lot to shape the feel of an area. Chicago has many blank-walls, podiums and buildings with little to no transparency at street-level. Chicago could very well become more pedestrian oriented with different values, investments and regulations but the city is still very much auto-dependent and the setting reflects it. Narrowing streets and widening sidewalks could be a start.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:47 AM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times
The most pleasant surprise about Chicago to me was the relative ease of driving within the city, particularly given its size. Getting there from the highway is a PITA but once you are in the city it is not bad at all.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:33 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
There is some truth to this.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:49 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,365,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Based on look, lifestyle and amenities combined. Debate.
Look- Definitely Chicago, arguably the most beautiful city in America. Philidelphia interesting, but gritty.

Lifestyle- Chicago, Lakefront highrises, solid neighborhoods for miles. Philadelphia has some nice neighborhoods, some not so nice.

Amenities- Chicago has a solid downtown, Michigan Ave, numerous world class museums, parks, lakefront beaches and riverfront walks and tours. Philadelphia, museums, historic sites, Center City.

Bases on his criteria, no contest, Chicago.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Look- Definitely Chicago, arguably the most beautiful city in America. Philidelphia interesting, but gritty.

Lifestyle- Chicago, Lakefront highrises, solid neighborhoods for miles. Philadelphia has some nice neighborhoods, some not so nice.

Amenities- Chicago has a solid downtown, Michigan Ave, numerous world class museums, parks, lakefront beaches and riverfront walks and tours. Philadelphia, museums, historic sites, Center City.

Bases on his criteria, no contest, Chicago.
I hope you release that Philly has a lot more to offer than just Center City

Old 06-10-2021, 08:37 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
You're missing the point. Why is proximity only mentioned only when Philadelphia is bought up? When's the last time you've seen NYC get credited for being close to Philadelphia + DC?? I feel like that's the go-to attribute for people who can't elaborate on what makes Philadelphia a great city- I personally feel like it undermines Philadelphia's status as an elite city. Chicago - Milwaukee is roughly the same distance as NYC-Philadelphia and Chicago - Indianapolis is roughly the same distance as Philadelphia-DC, yet people will have you believe Chicago is "isolated"...
I don't think Chicago is isolated but I do think Philly in terms of day trips to its neighboring cities is more attractive because those metros are the biggest city in America and America's capital. I don't see a lot of Chicagoans think much of heading to Milwaukee and even less to Indy. Going to St. Louis and Detroit are decent drive times from Chicago though and I think more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City