Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 06:55 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It’s not because you’re from DMV. I’d say that’s largely been my experience in living around the country. It is certainly true in Boston and in Chicago.. I’d say Philly is far less celebrated than other cities. On the East Coast, NYC, DMV, and Boston seem to have a more reputable brand and more mindshare.

I do think once folks experience Philly, their idea of the city changes, now more than ever. But I don’t think what you’re saying is incorrect, or at least, it hasn’t traditionally been inaccurate.

“Philly is a dump” was, at a point not long ago, the most common description I’d hear about the city. Unfair? Yes. I remember quite well a popular publication that ranked Philadelphia as America’s ugliest city.. 2008ish? Again, having spent enough time in Philly, I know better. But many don’t.
Since people are sharing anecdotes, I have one from yesterday actually!

I am in Chicago visiting my boyfriend and met a group of his friends for dinner. Among that group were 3 young women all from LA now living in Chicago, all successful in marketing or finance. We were talking about cities and Philadelphia came up since I am from there, and all 3 women were like "OMG, I love Philadelphia." However, as the convo expanded, they all admitted prior to their first work visit in 2018, they didn't know much about the city or even cared to visit, until they did. They were obsessed with the size (bigger than they thought), the layout, the energy, and mostly the food, and not a single negative thing to say except that it was dirtier than Chicago (similar to NYC, which they also love).

And of course not every city clicks with everyone, BUT, almost always whenever I meet someone who had their first visit to Philadelphia, they are never let down and actually excited to visit again.

Philadelphia is quickly changing and needs to continue that trend in order to lose that enigma status to some...

Last edited by cpomp; 05-02-2021 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ah nice! Did not know that. I get a few confused with locations.

I know this going to sound weird, but I always see:
New York like Philadelphia
Chicago like Boston

I know there is a lot to explain there.. but heavily being in 3/4 of those and visiting Philly a lot, I see Philly with so many similarities to NYC, and Chicago/Boston having a lot of similarities. Built architecture, tourist spots similarities, urbanity, people, cuisine, pace and culture.

I always find NYC and Philadelphia pretty much one of the other. Chicago and Boston, while not as close as NYC+PHL are pretty similar in itself. Unpopular opinion, Im sure.. but thats the vibe I get from both.
I could totally see that. Even with how big NYC is, I find Philadelphia and NYC to be similar on so many levels. Chicago doesn't remind me of Philadelphia. My prior comment was just saying Chicago and Philadelphia are more similar in stature than others let on (at least to me, and even though they are very different).

I've been to Boston a handful of times, but its oddly a city I am not super familiar with, but I could still see more similarities to Chicago than the other 2, outside of the colonial comparisons with Philadelphia.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:46 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,365,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Since people are sharing anecdotes, I have one from yesterday actually!

I am in Chicago visiting my boyfriend and met a group of his friends for dinner. Among that group were 3 young women all from LA now living in Chicago, all successful in marketing or finance. We were talking about cities and Philadelphia came up since I am from there, and all 3 women were like "OMG, I love Philadelphia." However, as the convo expanded, they all admitted prior to their first work visit in 2018, they didn't know much about the city or even cared to visit, until they did. They were obsessed with the size (bigger than they thought), the layout, the energy, and mostly the food, and not a single negative thing to say except that it was dirtier than Chicago (similar to NYC, which they also love).

And of course not every city clicks with everyone, BUT, almost always whenever I meet someone who had their first visit to Philadelphia, they are never let down and actually excited to visit again.

Philadelphia is quickly changing and needs to continue that trend in order to lose that enigma status to some...
I am also ex-LA in Chicago like your dinner guests, and I dunno know. I have been in Philly every other year, and while there are some cool spots in Center City where I stay for a conference, and it is definitely great on the food scene, it just looks, well, dirty and worn, even with some new construction. A novelty to visit and a nice change of pace, but not up there as far as places that I would put first on a bucket list. Maybe that will change.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I am also ex-LA in Chicago like your dinner guests, and I dunno know. I have been in Philly every other year, and while there are some cool spots in Center City where I stay for a conference, and it is definitely great on the food scene, it just looks, well, dirty and worn, even with some new construction. A novelty to visit and a nice change of pace, but not up there as far as places that I would put first on a bucket list. Maybe that will change.
While I do think Philadelphia is still unfairly picked on for its "grim", and not to open a can of worms, but a push for street level beautification efforts would take Greater Center City a long way. I am talking flowers, trees, landscaped medians, new sidewalks, new light poles, more / nicer trashcans, etc. I've spoken about this ad nauseum for years...

I spent the weekend in Chicago and it has the most beautiful downtown region in the nation (IMO). Its clean, well maintained, landscaped, utilities are hidden, sidewalks are generally well-kept, etc., and that doesn't even include the architecture. Philadelphia (and others) should look to Chicago for maintenance ideas. Outside of improving the obvious problems like poverty, crime, etc., an investment in QOL at street level would really bring Philadelphia to the next level.

(Philadelphia still has many beautiful parts, this is just an overall view).

Old 06-03-2021, 04:46 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVbb-cM_no

Old 06-03-2021, 05:57 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
While I do think Philadelphia is still unfairly picked on for its "grim", and not to open a can of worms, but a push for street level beautification efforts would take Greater Center City a long way. I am talking flowers, trees, landscaped medians, new sidewalks, new light poles, more / nicer trashcans, etc. I've spoken about this ad nauseum for years...

I spent the weekend in Chicago and it has the most beautiful downtown region in the nation (IMO). Its clean, well maintained, landscaped, utilities are hidden, sidewalks are generally well-kept, etc., and that doesn't even include the architecture. Philadelphia (and others) should look to Chicago for maintenance ideas. Outside of improving the obvious problems like poverty, crime, etc., an investment in QOL at street level would really bring Philadelphia to the next level.

(Philadelphia still has many beautiful parts, this is just an overall view).
I'd rep you if I could! "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cpomp again"

I remember my first time in Chicago and it blew my socks off for all the reasons you mentioned.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:53 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That Chicago video looks great! Would love to explore that area in person.

Just for a fun comparison, here's a cool recent video of the Sckyulkill River Boardwalk; actually get some similar vibes to Chicago setup, but on a different cityscape scale of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXxY2jUYUJY

I'm receiving "An error occurred. Please try again later." message. Don't know if it's only on my end.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:02 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I'm receiving "An error occurred. Please try again later." message. Don't know if it's only on my end.
That should do the trick. I actually found a more comprehensive one!

Old 06-04-2021, 07:30 AM

1,803 posts, read 938,382 times
Since the video from Philly is on the river. Looked for recent Chicago Riverwalk videos.

One from a couple weeks ago good one showed a full walk along a still busy Riverwalk that was a hit from its first phase completed and evening of people enjoying the eateries there most open. But settled on this shorter one with finally a OPEN Chicago (fully open on June 17th I read), looks back to normal in this one. Mostly view of the river from the other side, bridges. Less directly on the walk, but shows it very busy video was posted March 31 2021. Shows the new Big boy tower at the start just not much of the walk and focuses on views. Goes to west of the Michigan Ave bridge and bit more of the walk still more on views.

Good to see city opening up as so many of out cities were empty last year. Clearly, the city is open for business and visitors to locals alike clearly taking in the Riverwalk ..... though more focused on buildings and the river. Great views and people clearly in town to enjoy its offerings on a nice sunny day.

To see the video it says click to go directly to YouTube as is the wish of the video maker. Just cannot see it just on C-D in a small format. Still chose to post it as same difference just you have to view on YouTube by the direct link to it.

Title: Walking Along Chicago River: Skyscrapers, Bridges, Tour Boats, Canoes, Folks, Late-May 2021

* YOU WILL HAVE TO CLICK on the -- WATCH ON YOUTUBE on the video screen to view it.
under 8-minutes .... looks like the pandemic is over by all the people and boats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6rHgQjL5I

Old 06-04-2021, 09:44 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Since the video from Philly is on the river. Looked for recent Chicago Riverwalk videos.
The night time river architecture tour is definitely one of the most memorable things I have done in Chicago. The Lakefront trail and the Schuylkill River trail are comparable because they're miles long recreational trails. You can ride a bike on the Schuylkill River Trail from Center City to Valley Forge National Park 30 miles away.

The Delaware riverfront in Center City would be Philly's equivalent of the Riverwalk in terms of pedestrian activity and vibrancy along a river. For a real long time, the area had been pretty under utilized. Over the course of the last 10-15 years, it has got a lot more lively with Spruce Harbor Park, Cherry St. Pier, Race St. Pier, and Penn's Landing make up the core of it. Some random videos of a few places that I think can give people an idea what it's like to walk around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FIY5aj1wVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oAb-8pIfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAQNtT_1eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1--I1dE0E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City