Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,950,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
It's entirely anecdotal and frankly a generalization to say that everyone in a certain place acts the same. With that said, the East Coast has a nationally accepted reputation of being harda**** and the Midwest for being relatively friendly. I don't think either is universally true.
Didn't say that everyone is a certain place acts the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
It's entirely anecdotal and frankly a generalization to say that everyone in a certain place acts the same. With that said, the East Coast has a nationally accepted reputation of being harda**** and the Midwest for being relatively friendly. I don't think either is universally true.
Didn't say that everyone is a certain place acts the same and will agree that the Midwest being relatively friendly is definitely not universally true.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Philadelphia's potential pros depending on the person:

- narrower streets and older rowhouse or other historic architecture
- more varied topography including multiple hills within the city
- more proportionately mixed-use downtown less dominated by offices
- proximity/quick travel time to the ocean
- proximity/quick travel time to larger major cities, including very close proximity to the largest city in the US
- somewhat milder climate
- proximity to a vast assortment of quaint small, historic towns and cities
- or the vaguest one: vibe
I can agree with most. Guess concede proximity to the ocean.
With a few - buts but but - on that one. I live just a bit further east from NYC. Few here would say it's a asset. Unless you go more regularly.

Somewhat milder is about it. But I disagree with Chicago'sdowntown dominated by offices --- today. River North and Streeterville have a huge and large population. South Loop though not technically downtown (yet). Is very residential and a new neighborhood also once industry . West Loop too.

Chicago has had the Loop as downtown through especially the 20th century, as the business capital of the Midwest. But is gaining in residential conversions and new residential towers yearly.

Philly has had its Center City as originally the -- whole city designed by William Penn centuries ago and was -- always residential too. Ii is adding to it while gaining offices too.

So really the most changed core in offices vs residential? Is Chicago. To have or near 200,000 + in the Core by the census 2-mile radius from its City Hall. It was near 180,000 for the 2010 census. But a 2-mile radius is a bit unfair if it includes Millenium/Grant Park and the Harbor in the Lake??

Old 02-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I can agree with most. Guess concede proximity to the ocean.
With a few - buts but but - on that one. I live just a bit further east from NYC. Few here would say it's a asset. Unless you go more regularly.

Somewhat milder is about it. But I disagree with Chicago'sdowntown dominated by offices --- today. River North and Streeterville have a huge and large population. South Loop though not technically downtown (yet). Is very residential and new neighborhood. West Loop too.

Chicago has had the Loop as downtown through especially the 20th century as the business capital of the Midwest. But is gaining in residential conversions and new residential towers yearly.

Philly has had its Center City as originally the whole city designed by William Penn centuries ago and was -- always residential too. Ii is adding to it while gaining offices too.

So really the most changed core in offices vs residential? Is Chicago. To still having 200,000 + in the Core by the census 2-mile radius from its City Hall. It was near 180,000 for the 2010 census. But a 2-mile radius is a bit unfair if it includes Millenium/Grant Park and the Harbor in the Lake??
Yes, Chicago's core is growing from an office-centric to a hybrid both office and residential. Good thing that's happening as other areas of the city are losing middle class residents.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
I really see, "RigtonWalnut" using Reading in Philly's cap? as really not a big asset really? Reading is Virtually all attached housing mostly like Philly. But in the city today - where most storefronts are in Spanish. It doesn't help Philly in the thread actual. Atlantic city? -- well you wanted beaches right?

I'd say show actual neighborhood housing - actually off intersections and main streets. I really hope Atlantic City can become more of what it was. Gambling having failed it - more then not.

Please don't next branch out to Hershey/Allentown in the next set of street-views -- for Philly advantage? (where I don't know) Seems like next to come from you? May as well - take the "Coal region" too then. Sorry, but it does begin near Reading.
-- PHILLY REALLY NEEDS TO STAND ON ITS OWN ALREADY--

** Well, guess it's my turn to get carried away with street-views.

To show the basically standard and common neighborhood lay-out in Chicago. Are these street-views. Actual off the main streets blocks.

- standard housing set-backs go back to just after the 1871 city fire. Green and towering trees from them now prominent.
Brick and Greystone old Victorian style areas. Just north of downtown Chicago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9049...Ugqw8qHO9A!2e0

The main street offers retail eateries STILL free from ugly power-lines, poles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9032...3CJAr-36vg!2e0

These older alleyways usually Streetview doesn't go into. Other areas of bit wider ones it does. Alley in above neighborhood has poles and wires.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9036...5w8LkPcTgQ!2e0

Some of the oldest areas here just west of the Loop downtown. They date from before the city raised many streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9079...Xpr1ijslLQ!2e0

Same street new infill mixing with original old Chicago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9058...iOxe0INyaQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9052793,-87.6650992,23z

Going down actually in the alleys above garages and power-lines poles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9032...V4sI6c5XOw!2e0

Older Workmans wood-framed Cottage homes 1900 era. Sought after today. Built up to the bungalow belt started for the masses.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9571...evjytR32Xg!2e0

It's alley with poles and wires there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9577...YKMmfbM8uw!2e0

The Bungalow belt. 1/3 of the city built 1910 to 1940 officially. A bit further from the core due to built a couple decades later as the city grew.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9056...vVp2zUBCyg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9382...Gr4e-5E6ug!2e0

It's alley and yards from the side. Can't get Streetview on my phone to go into the alleyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9371...ffqotniu9w!2e0

Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Philly's biggest comparative advantage, vis-a-vis Chicago, is that it's one of the largest human-scaled cities on the planet.

Yes, much of Philly still has a ways to go in terms of revitalization and reinvigoration of vitality. But its core areas are so revered because it has a very unique, intimate urban form that feels "just right" to many folks. Like one massive quaint village. The footprint of Philadelphia's vibrant, quaint village footprint is only expanding with time as it replicates this revitalization template of "human-scaled, finely-grained" urbanism across the city.

Overall, whereas Chicago is quintessentially American, Philadelphia takes much more of its architectural vernacular from Europe.

I'd also say that Philly's prime East Coast location, which many find far more topographically and meterologically appealing, is a very big selling point. The immense layers of history and network of quaint East Coast towns and points of interesst most definitely add to the allure for many.

Being in the primate city of the Midwest is not appealling to everyone if you're simply partial to the East Coast to begin with.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 PM

796 posts, read 932,923 times
weather-wise, chicago has been great this winter. we are experiencing record highs in february, as there have been consecutive 60-70 degree days for the past week or so with a few more to come.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 PM

944 posts, read 1,212,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Being in the primate city of the Midwest is not appealling to everyone if you're simply partial to the East Coast to begin with.
I guess, but then someone who is partial to the Midwest might say Cleveland was more appealing than Philadelphia. Or someone who preferred the West Coast might say Sacramento was superior. It all comes down to preferences and some of us think that rows of duplexes on broad avenues are just as cool as rowhouses on narrow cobblestone lanes.

Last edited by brodie734; 02-21-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
weather-wise, chicago has been great this winter. we are experiencing record highs in february, as there have been consecutive 60-70 degree days for the past week or so with a few more to come.
Same thing for Philadelphia.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:58 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I don't really know what Philly has going for it in this debate, honestly. In some ways, Chicago remains the "second city" (insomuch as any city can be in a polycentric country)... second in terms of concentration of Fortune 500 companies, second in terms of certain cultural amenities (getting Broadway shows before the rest of the country, a hotbed for comedy, etc), second in terms of skyscraper height, a mass transit system that has only recently been ousted from it's traditional position as #2 in the country in daily ridership (and then only because DC's system combines commuter rail with intracity rail services).

Philly is great, but it is always going to be in New York's shadow... right up until the moment the Census Bureau throws them into the same CSA in a few decades. Chicago may be provincial to East Coast types who drink a wee bit too much Kool Aid, but it really is better to be the Midwest's premier city than it is to be the fourth best town in the Northeast.
4th best in the Northeast? That is highly subjective. I would say Philadelphia is #2 or #3 depending on the measurement.

GDP
NYC - $1,558B
DC - $471B
Phila - $391B
Boston - $382B

City Population
NYC - 8,550,405
Phila - 1,567,442
DC - 672,228
Boston - 667,137

MSA
NYC - 20,182,305
DC - 6,097,684
Phila - 6,069,875
Boston - 4,774,321
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City