Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,171,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
And don't forget, you can take the South Shore train from under Millenium Park to the Indiana Dunes, a nearly 25 mile long stretch of beach with gorgeous dunes, more whitecaps than in the city (cause it faces north, like Chicago's beaches are angled to catch the waves) more sand/sandbars because the sand is always being pushed south, like a bowl, which means the color of the water is even more turquoise than in the city. Add to this the stunning view of the skyline on the horizon, truly one of metropolitan America's most beautiful and awesome landscapes.

People from the Coasts who have never visited a Lake Michigan beach will, once giving it a try, never ever look at the Ocean beaches in quite the same way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Indi...h=618#imgdii=_
True, but you'll never convince any of these people who never leave their general proximity. Their answer is always "because I said so" or "the salt, there's salt."

You can also train/drive to some great natural sand beaches north of town, like the huge stretches of sand on the beautiful Racine beach:
http://travel50stateswithkids.com/wp...ach-Racine.jpg
http://markcz.com/imposition/wp-cont...all-racine.jpg
http://travel50stateswithkids.com/wp...h-Racine-3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,414,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
True, but you'll never convince any of these people who never leave their general proximity. Their answer is always "because I said so" or "the salt, there's salt."

You can also train/drive to some great natural sand beaches north of town, like the huge stretches of sand on the beautiful Racine beach:
http://travel50stateswithkids.com/wp...ach-Racine.jpg
http://markcz.com/imposition/wp-cont...all-racine.jpg
http://travel50stateswithkids.com/wp...h-Racine-3.jpg
And, of course, in Chicago you can just walk to the beach--no taking a train or driving across New Jersey necessary.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 AM

494 posts, read 805,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They are in the same media market and was recently added back to the Philly CSA. They only thing that's really different are the radio markets but don't forget that the Philly area is made up of multiple radio markets anyway.

Again being from Philly and still have many relatives there ( lifelong residents with vacation homes at the shore) i have never ever heard this in the 43 yrs i have been on this earth.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
I have never heard the media or much of anyone else refer to those areas as Philly burbs either. Heck they have their own TV stations ( IE: Different media market ) down there in Atlantic City.

Again being from Philly and still have many relatives there ( lifelong residents with vacation homes at the shore) i have never ever heard this in the 43 yrs i have been on this earth.
Atlantic City has 1 local independent TV station. The rest of the TV broadcasts come from Philadelphia.

I wouldn't call the shore, suburbs of Philadlephia but to suggest that there is not a very close relationship would be derelict imo.

The barrier islands like LBI, Ocean City,Stone Harbor,Wildwood Crest,Cape May that have a population of 5,000 in the winter and 100,000 in the summer. Where do you think those 95,000 people are coming from? The vast majority are coming from the Philadelphia region.

Nearly every good and service that ends up in Avalon or Sea Isle has its origins from the Philadelphia region.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Quote:
UMMM?? Philly native here.. Since when did ANY of the Jersey shore become suburbs of Philly? Cherry Hill i'll give you but the others which are OVER a hour away not so. Once you get passed say Glassboro/Berlin line you are basically out of the Philly burbs.
The Philadelphia Metropolitan area is comprised of basically ALL of South Jersey.

These counties make up the Philadelphia Metro:

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Bucks
Montgomery
Delaware
Chester
Berks

New Jersey
Camden
Burlington
Gloucester
Salem
Cumberland
Atlantic
Cape May

Delaware
New Castle
Kent

Maryland
Cecil

Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 PM

494 posts, read 805,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
The Philadelphia Metropolitan area is comprised of basically ALL of South Jersey.

These counties make up the Philadelphia Metro:

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Bucks
Montgomery
Delaware
Chester
Berks

New Jersey
Camden
Burlington
Gloucester
Salem
Cumberland
Atlantic
Cape May

Delaware
New Castle
Kent

Maryland
Cecil
That ALMOST looks like the list of counties covered by the NWS for Philly aka Mount Holly.

And now i am supposed to believe Dover, DE is included as well? On that token ( considering distance ) i guess for Chicago we can include all of N.Indiana to say Michigan City IN and up the lake to Milwaukee and out to say Rockford? YES that is what you all are suggesting.

Come on now. I love Philly ( hometown so why shouldn't i? ) but you guys are pushing it to extremes.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,212,618 times
Quote:
That ALMOST looks like the list of counties covered by the NWS for Philly aka Mount Holly.

And now i am supposed to believe Dover, DE is included as well? On that token ( considering distance ) i guess for Chicago we can include all of N.Indiana to say Michigan City IN and up the lake to Milwaukee and out to say Rockford? YES that is what you all are suggesting.

Come on now. I love Philly ( hometown so why shouldn't i? ) but you guys are pushing it to extremes.
Lol, you need to chill. All those counties cover a very small area, I see you don't know the Philadelphia area. There's nothin extreme about that list. All those counties are connected to Philadelphia county, or connected to the connected county.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 AM

725 posts, read 1,212,618 times
And I can't believe y'all are saying south jersey beaches aren't intertwined/connected with Philly... There are Philly cheesesteak spots lining the shore, you meet someone there and ask "Hey, what part of Philly are you from" and 9 times out of 10 you will get an answer. I never looked at it the way you all do like its so disconnected, a part of the Philly culture is to go to the shore, stay up wildwood with the kids, go to ocean city for a day. That's what ALL Philadelphians do, rich and poor. It's really ridiculous that people on city data find the need to fight everything being said!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The barrier islands like LBI, Ocean City,Stone Harbor,Wildwood Crest,Cape May that have a population of 5,000 in the winter and 100,000 in the summer. Where do you think those 95,000 people are coming from? The vast majority are coming from the Philadelphia region.

Nearly every good and service that ends up in Avalon or Sea Isle has its origins from the Philadelphia region.
I think all of that sums it up well. You wouldn't refer to Ocean City or Cape May as "suburban Philadelphia," but it's completely legitimate to incorporate it into the Greater Philadelphia sphere of influence.

While there are beach-town suburbs around Boston, Cape Cod, for example, has a very similar relationship in the Greater Boston region, as it's not close enough to be considered part of the suburbs.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
Quote:

so your hometown is/was philly hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City