Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,171,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm alway surprised at how many people seem shocked that you can't see across the lake. It's 3 times larger than the state of New Jersey.
I often introduce people from the coasts to Lake Michigan. Every single time I do this, there's a pause...and then "it's like a giant sea...an interior ocean...it looks just like the ocean!" They're always blown away by it, because I assume they pictured "some big lake" and not a body of water that has large waves and you cannot come close to seeing across it. When people from the coasts have not been to Lake Michigan or Lake Superior, they simply cannot comprehend what the biggest of the Great Lakes are. I imagine a large number of those commenting on beaches outside the ocean simply have never been to the Great Lakes. Take a boat across Lake Superior some time. Or drive around Lake Michigan/Huron. Regardless, these are real beaches on immense bodies of water, not some pond with a dirt shore. I grew up windsurfing in Door County, and I know a good number of people who surf it. Lake Michigan influences the weather - the other day it was 17 degrees cooler by my house near the lake than in the Milwaukee suburbs where I was working, just 10 or so miles west - precipitation, you name it.

Regardless, I was just pointing out the fact that Chicago sits directly on beaches, regardless of whether they are ocean beaches or not, and Philly does not, correcting the post above me that said Chicago had "no beaches."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Meh. The other thing about Chicago is that it's not on the prettier side of the lake. While the urban beaches are actually quite awesome, Michigan's "west coast" actually has some stunning beaches with varied coastal topography and more natural beauty. I.e. I don't see how someone could say somewhere like Sleeping Bear Dunes doesn't have "real beaches" just because it's on a lake.
Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to address this:

People from Michigan who have only been to Chicago or Milwaukee always say this, even thought it's patently untrue. Chicago is actually on the south side of the lake anyway, not the eastern side. Those people have never been to areas like Door County, Kohler-Andrae dunes near Sheboygan, or North Beach (Racine). Western MI has nothing that compares with the enormous bluffs of the Niagara Escarpment that line Door County on the Green Bay side, and most of the eastern Lake Michigan side is large sand beaches that are the same/better, lacking simply some of the tall dunes near Traverse City.

Carry on...

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to address this:

People from Michigan who have only been to Chicago or Milwaukee always say this, even thought it's patently untrue. Chicago is actually on the south side of the lake anyway, not the eastern side. Those people have never been to areas like Door County, Kohler-Andrae dunes near Sheboygan, or North Beach (Racine). Western MI has nothing that compares with the enormous bluffs of the Niagara Escarpment that line Door County on the Green Bay side, and most of the eastern Lake Michigan side is large sand beaches that are the same/better, lacking simply some of the tall dunes near Traverse City.

Carry on...
Wow, after looking at pics of the places you mentioned, I stand corrected on that point.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,220,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
please

some fresh water lake aint a beach. U cant surf, skim board, smell the salt air, exfoliate that skin for a nice shiny summer glow from the salt water.

yall beaches are just try-hard. Sorry, chicago
Why would i want salt in my throat and always be worried about sharks and other fish that i could die from, not to mention im not sure why ocean beaches are even on the topic right now your nearest beach is 2 hours away, Chicago's nearest beach is 30 ft away from downtown.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Bluefox - No problem, I think Lake Michigan is pretty damn nice all the way around

Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times
Whoa. On second thought.

Great White Shark sighting near Atlantic City.

Great White Shark Sighting Off N.J. | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Stupid sharks

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a shark. Since this was 23 miles off the coast, I wouldn't worry about it. Your odds of being attacked by a shark are literally slim to none.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
The whole "why would you want to swim with sharks and salt water" thing is kind of dumb in my opinion. I guess that's your personal opinion, but you don't have to say it to make one place seem worse/better. I personally love the ocean, but the main point is, Chicago has 30+ beaches in the city itself, and yes they are beaches with a lot of activity that doesn't get frigid in the summer and it's pretty frivolous to say they aren't beaches.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Nope, wrong again, you are now moving the goal post. You said a Lake Beach and an Ocean beach cannot be compared; when in reality they CAN be compared (and contrasted)
Not wrong. Just worded it improperly. Compared and contrasted, whatever, who even cares. It's all STILL opinion and worthless to debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City