Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
To me I prefer ocean beaches but would love anything close to the lakefront Chicago has here in Philly
Me too, but it's definitely a silver lining for being NOT on an ocean to still have 30+ beaches in a city with tons of activities on them and water that isn't frigid when it's warm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Current water temp at Oak Street Beach is 65 F:
Chicago Beaches | Oak Street Beach

Zuma Beach in Malibu, CA is currently at 64 F:
Zuma Beach Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (CAL - LA County, USA)

Cape May NJ is currently 71.2 F just as an FYI

Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't doubt it. I was just saying that sometimes the temps at the beaches in Chicago are not as cold as everyone thinks (I still think anything under 80 sucks, but that's just me being spoiled) even though it's a lake.

The temps in Chicago should be in the low 70s in a few weeks. The temperatures have been wildly up and down here and it hasn't been above 80 degrees for like more than 3 straight days. The forecast for the next few weeks says upper 70s and 80s, which will allow the water temps to creep up to what they're supposed to be.

On normal summer days in Chicago, 72 degrees just like Cape May is completely normal and 75 is even normal too if it's warm for enough straight days.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,394,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
That's a lake....
Good to see your lack of knowledge on pretty much every subject you post to on this site hasn't hurt your geography skills.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,394,550 times
Quote:
I'm at Dewey Beach, DE this entire week, water is pretty cold.

Edit: Looks like water temp is 66 degrees.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, I don't doubt it. I was just saying that sometimes the temps at the beaches in Chicago are not as cold as everyone thinks (I still think anything under 80 sucks, but that's just me being spoiled) even though it's a lake.

mostly agree and to that end there are really only two months in these parts where we see 80s

I have been in lake erie but never lake MI, love the color in the sun though, almost tropical...

71 is chilly to me to me too for all but a few minutes, unless its really hot

That said the Lake is a tremedous setting benefit to Chicago on sheer views alone not to mention all the other great aspects

Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I'm at Dewey Beach, DE this entire week, water is pretty cold.

Edit: Looks like water temp is 66 degrees.

Well I did cherry pick a bit, AC is like 67 or 68 today

Cape May is generally warmer because it also gets the DE bay flow and the current drives warmer water north, it also is generally a tad less salty as well

Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
mostly agree and to that end there are really only two months in these parts where we see 80s

I have been in lake erie but never lake MI, love the color in the sun though, almost tropical...

71 is chilly to me to me too for all but a few minutes, unless its really hot

That said the Lake is a tremedous setting benefit to Chicago on sheer views alone not to mention all the other great aspects
Yeah. Once you experience a place with perfect 85 degree water, everything else sucks. Anyway, the lake is a huge asset. There is a ton that goes on during the summer on it too, and last year they started an electronic music festival on it. This only shows the concert stuff though. There's a lot more to it I think...big tropical/Miami esque cabanas and stuff:

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,526,303 times
I am so tired of the whole "lake vs 'real beach'" argument. Everyone knows the lake is not the ocean. If you are 5 years old, you know they are not the same thing. Writing off the fact that Chicago sits DIRECTLY on a beautiful enormous freshwater lake is about as asinine as saying the lake is the same as the ocean. Many cities in the US aren't as close to the ocean as Philly is, and MOST cities in the US don't sit directly on such a huge body of water like Chicago does. Lake Michigan is gorgeous in the summer, and offers first class boating and water recreation that most US cities can't come close to offering. This includes the city and many of the cities suburbs. People are correct in saying that it is easier to go to the ocean from Philly than from Chicago... nobody is dumb enough to disagree with that. Chicago has direct daily access to a first class urban waterfront, and nobody should disagree with that either if they know what they are talking about. That is it. There is no other arguing whether you would prefer to be 2 hrs from an ocean beach or live directly on a Great Lake, because that is a matter of opinion. Here are some pictures that prove BOTH scenarios for each city are rewarding and assets to each respective city. Carry on now.

Simply Magnificent. | Chicago boating

Coast Guard Always Ready | Great Lakes Boating

http://www.pinnacleyachts.com/images...rbor_large.jpg

Oak Street Beach « CBS Chicago

And some of nearby Philadelphia beaches
Atlantic City
Atlantic City Beach « CBS Philly

Cape May NJ
Nice way to pass an afternoon. - Review of Cape May Lighthouse, Cape May, NJ - TripAdvisor

Sea Isle City NJ
Sea Isle City, NJ Local Information

Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,704,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
How the heck is Philly "closer to beaches?"
please

some fresh water lake aint a beach. U cant surf, skim board, smell the salt air, exfoliate that skin for a nice shiny summer glow from the salt water.

yall beaches are just try-hard. Sorry, chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City