Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,957,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
19107 doesn't even touch Rittenhouse Sq. RS is 19103, but that includes some neighborhoods outside of RS.
my bad, yes 19103, you are correct

yes and some parts outside. I dont disagree that RS is much smaller than LP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,301,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
my bad, yes 19103, you are correct

yes and some parts outside. I dont disagree that RS is much smaller than LP
No problem.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,950,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This quote screams that you haven't spent much time in Chicago. This is only true in areas like the Loop, River North, Streeterville, South Loop, etc. Get outside of those areas and the streets are not that wide unless they're the major streets. The residential blocks are not wide.

This is what the real Chicago looks like when you aren't a tourist:
550 w arlington chicago, il - Google Maps

"Downtown" Chicago is not like 95% of the rest of the city.
a

Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is what the real Chicago looks like when you aren't a tourist:
550 w arlington chicago, il - Google Maps
Please don't try to use Arlington place, one of the densest narrowest residential streets in one of the densest parts of one of the densest neighborhoods in the city as a representative residential street in Chicago. It insults the intelligence of those who know better. Very few Chicago residents will see anything like that when standing on their porch and looking down the street, being far more likely to see something like this or this or even this.

The fact is most Chicagoans live on a street with bungalows and/or detached 2- or 3-flats, maybe an occasional 6-unit walk-up, in a home or building set back 10 to 15 feet from the sidewalk with grass in between, with another grass median between the sidewalk and the street, which incidentally will likely be wide enough for two cars to pass in opposite directions even with cars parked on at least one if not both sides of the street. In short, the average Chicagoan lives on a street that looks nothing like the one you linked to.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Please don't try to use Arlington place, one of the densest narrowest residential streets in one of the densest parts of one of the densest neighborhoods in the city as a representative residential street in Chicago. It insults the intelligence of those who know better. Very few Chicago residents will see anything like that when standing on their porch and looking down the street, being far more likely to see something like this or this or even this.

The fact is most Chicagoans live on a street with bungalows and/or detached 2- or 3-flats, maybe an occasional 6-unit walk-up, in a home or building set back 10 to 15 feet from the sidewalk with grass in between, with another grass median between the sidewalk and the street, which incidentally will likely be wide enough for two cars to pass in opposite directions even with cars parked on at least one if not both sides of the street. In short, the average Chicagoan lives on a street that looks nothing like the one you linked to.
Drover, my point was about the street width, not about the housing on each side of the road. The width of this road is not much wider even than Arlington in reality (a foot wider maybe). The point was, with the context of my post, that people think that the roads (i.e. Toure) in Chicago are ALL roads like you see in the Loop. Wide and grand and that's not true. in the least bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure
Chicago's approach to density is not the same as Manhattans approach. Manhattan is VERY tight, wall to wall. Chicago is wide, sidewalks, tall shiny buildings
I would not call those streets wide. They are not European narrow, but most people who come to visit Chicago only seen the Loop and Near North Side. To them, that's what Chicago is. Most streets there are wide. Every road in the normal neighborhoods, even in Brighton Park or Irving Park as you showed, are still nowhere near as grand as the roads you see in the Loop or River North on average or even close to it unless it's a main road....which is not unique. Most cities around the world, even the densest, have roads that are wide in certain places.

For the record, Irving Park is barely less dense than Lincoln Park.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

That is a cool street. This is an area where Philly and Chicago differ. Actually a tighter street than the one posted is nearly a norm (if a norm exisits) for Philly. I love the aspect in some ways and hate it in others

This is the Northeast - what people called the original burbs in Philly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...319.83,,0,9.55

This is very typical for Philly North, West, and South (there is really no east - that is NJ)

I was born very close to this image

I live basically steps away from this area now and love it for all that it offers access to in just steps, the otherI would never go back to

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...291.71,,0,5.35

Now what you mentioned in Chicago I really like - prefer much to my first image from Philly

stuff like this, to me a great residential street even if set back etc.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chica...174.86,,0,7.87

Now it is an area in the Lincoln park area I just randomly choose but see more of this even not quite as wealthy in Chciago and find it very nice

Even the DT areas of Philly versus Chicago find Chicago with more breathing room. Good and bad for either in some ways but like the change in Chciago

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chica...51.08,,0,-6.08

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...9.48,,0,-17.73

now again just selecting but these two are different, a lot has to do with the age they developed

enjoy both cities

Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,656,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Even the DT areas of Philly versus Chicago find Chicago with more breathing room. Good and bad for either in some ways but like the change in Chciago
I agree with this. The first time I ever spent time in Chicago, I was surprised by how much 'breathing room' there was, even in the most vertical part of the city.

The fact that Chicago has never really had much pressure from space constraints likely has something to do with this. It allowed the city to spread out a lot, which has ups and downs, but it also ensured that Chicago's amazing architectural history has very largely been preserved, as not many things were torn down to make way for new things.

(one sad exception is the Prentice Hospital, which is currently threatened)

Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
That is a recent example. I'd say there's much better examples out there but you have to go back in time. I am not a fan of Prentice to say the least. The buildings that were destroyed even 20 years ago were really nice, European style buildings sometimes.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
The fact that Chicago has never really had much pressure from space constraints likely has something to do with this. It allowed the city to spread out a lot, which has ups and downs, but it also ensured that Chicago's amazing architectural history has very largely been preserved, as not many things were torn down to make way for new things.
People often say this, but if you think about it, what major U.S. cities other than most of NYC and SF truly have space constraints?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I agree with this. The first time I ever spent time in Chicago, I was surprised by how much 'breathing room' there was, even in the most vertical part of the city.

That is an odd one. Just stayed at the W lakefront last year and got a good look - Actually found myself specifically walking to check it out

That area (I think its streeterville) seems to be filling in though - a little sleepy yet a few blocks from MI Ave albeit in the Chicago breathing room way.

FWIW the lakefront there is just tremendous even with the parkway. Enjoyed walking every morning along the waterfront and Navy pier and the Aqua building(yes other side of the river), well just another example of tremendous architecture in Chicago - I think my favorite skyscraper city bar none the talls stand out with the room...

I wonder what will ever come of the Spire hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City