Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 567 65.17%
Philadelphia 303 34.83%
Voters: 870. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dunno really like Lincon Park but do feel Rittenhouse can definately go toe to toe

Philadelphia Neighborhoods: Rittenhouse Square - YouTube

Rittenhouse Square - YouTube

Also place like Society Hill

Community Video: Society Hill, PA - YouTube

Or Chestnut Hill

Chestnut Hill-A Distinctive Destination - YouTube

Or Washington West

Washington Square West Condos Philadelphia - YouTube
Rittenhouse Square is great (as are Washington Square and Society Hill) but it's not really an apples to apples comparison with Lincoln Park. Lincoln Park is bigger than all of Center City, has multiple hubs, a massive park, and a huge amount of culture and entertainment all within the neighborhood. I find that to be one of the big differences between Chicago and Philly. In Philly, quality is largely concentrated in and around Center City. Once you go 3-4 miles out there aren't that many gentrified neighborhoods and, if there are, they are on a much smaller scale. In Chicago, you can be 5, 6, 7 miles out of the Loop and still be in dense, gentrified neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dunno really like Lincon Park but do feel Rittenhouse can definately go toe to toe
Oh yeah..I really like some of the Philly neighborhoods. I am a huge fan of European style streets and nice, old architecture for which Philly definitely has. That's one thing I like about certain parts of the NE a lot.. Some of the neighborhoods in Philly remind me of a few neighborhoods in Chicago although Philly's streets in some are a little narrower (Chicago streets residentially in the north side are narrower than people think but not European narrow).

Point of my post though was that everyone thinks that Chicago is some big downtown area with skyscrapers and outside of that it's like ****. Far, far, far from the truth. Lot of really great neighborhoods in Chicago.

Lakeview, north of Lincoln Park

Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods, a few miles N and W of the Loop

West Loop (of course..west of the Loop):

Ravenswood even further north and west

Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
^^^ No I know Chicago very well and enjoy many of the neighborhoods

I also think people have a outdated understanding of Philly. There are also many great areas (stilll far too many bad ones though) and not as many in the city when comparaed to Chicago (porportionally closer though probably still edge Chicago on proportion as well in the city) And some place you mention like Wicker Park/Bucktown remind me of places like No Libs and Fishtown, though No Libs is like 1-2 miles from DT

So to me edge Chciago in city in terms of neighborhoods (Philly underated) and in terms of the area meaning burbs based on my experience I find Philly to offer more diversity in the burbs and more interesting DTs and charm in the sorrounding area.

Also this to me isnt really about a winner or loser in any regard. Two cities I really love and two of the few areas I personally choose to live

Some other areas of Philly etc

West Chester, PA - Video Tour! - YouTube

Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Kidphilly, I totally agree with you that people have an outdated understanding of Philadelphia. In the same way, I think it's also true of Chicago. I think for both cities, people who aren't that familiar think they both have tons of crime rampant all over the city and even still with mafia dudes running all around, and that it's just dirty and run down buildings or something. Now for both cities, part of that is true in some areas, but definitely not even most of the cities.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 AM

And since everyone thinks that the entire South Side of Chicago is a crime filled hell hole..here are a few neighborhoods on the South Side:

Hyde Park:

Kenwood (Obama's neighborhood):

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Lincoln Park blows any Philly neighborhood out of the water LOL. To this day, I still don't know many Philly neighborhoods, but I know many Chicago neighborhoods.
So you agree you know virtually nothing about Philly then? So why are you even talking? And no, many neighborhoods in Philly can go toe to toe with Lincoln Park including the neighborhoods KidPhilly listed (Rittenhouse, Wash West, Society Hill, Logan Square, Chestnut Hill)

Old 05-04-2013, 12:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Rittenhouse Square is great (as are Washington Square and Society Hill) but it's not really an apples to apples comparison with Lincoln Park. Lincoln Park is bigger than all of Center City, has multiple hubs, a massive park, and a huge amount of culture and entertainment all within the neighborhood. I find that to be one of the big differences between Chicago and Philly. In Philly, quality is largely concentrated in and around Center City. Once you go 3-4 miles out there aren't that many gentrified neighborhoods and, if there are, they are on a much smaller scale. In Chicago, you can be 5, 6, 7 miles out of the Loop and still be in dense, gentrified neighborhoods.
1. Lincoln Park and Center City are roughly the same size, except Center City has a larger population of slightly more than 80,000 while Lincoln Park has slightly more than 67,000.

2. The bolded part is highly inaccurate. There are not many gentrified areas outside of the core because there are a lot of neighborhoods that never went downhill in the first place.

-If you go three miles to the East, you are well into New Jersey Suburbs.

-If you go three miles to the South, you reach FDR Park, the Sports Complex and the Navy Yard. Practically all of South Philadelphia is nice or gentrifying. The only pockets left are Point Breeze (gentrifying), Dickinson Narrows (gentrifying) and Grays Ferry (the only neighborhood not really gentrifying yet).

- Go three miles into West Philadelphia then yes you're in a run down area, but go 4 miles, and you're in the City Ave corridor, which is a string of nice middle class neighborhoods (Wynnefield, Wynnefield Heights, Belmont Village, Overbrook, Overbrook Park, Overbrook Farms). And of course, you have the very nice areas across the river from Center City (University City, Spruce Hill, Woodland Terrace, Powelton Village, Clark Park, Cedar Park, Squirrel Hill, Garden Court, Walnut Hill) and the gentrifying areas (Mantua, Saunder's Park, Dunlap).

-Go three miles into Southwest Philadelphia, and again, you're in middle class neighborhoods (Elmwood Park, Eastwick, Paschall, etc.)

-Go three miles into North Philadelphia and yes you are well into the ghetto. The nice sections of North Philly border Center City (Fairmount, Spring Garden, Poplar, Northern Liberties) with a bunch of gentrifying neighborhoods (Olde Kensington, Brewerytwon, Spring Arts, Francisville, West Poplar, Templetown, Ludlow, Sharswood). Then the very northern part that border the suburbs are all middle class or working class (East Oak Lane, West Oak Lane, Stenton, Cedarbrook, Fern Rock, Ogontz, Logan, Olney).

-Go three miles Northeast, and you're in the middle class Riverwards (Port Richmond, East Kensington, Fishtown, Bridesburg, etc). Then keep going and you enter Northeast Philadelphia, which is entirely nice except for the neighborhoods that border North Philadelphia (Wissanoming, Frankford, Oxford Circle, Lawncrest are the only dumpy areas). The Northeast is also massive in size (it is 1/3 of the city's land area). The whole area is Middle class with some Upper Middle class spots (Fox Chase).

-Go three miles Northwest, and you end up in the nice sections of Northwest Philadelphia. The only dumpy area of this section is Germantown East and parts of East Mt. Airy. There are plenty of nice areas such as East Falls, Manayunk, Roxborough, etc. and some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city are in this section (Chestnut Hill, West Mt. Airy)

Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
1. Lincoln Park and Center City are roughly the same size, except Center City has a larger population of slightly more than 80,000 while Lincoln Park has slightly more than 67,000.
Not sure why City Center and Lincoln Park are being compared...Lincoln Park is 2-2.5 miles north of "downtown" and about 3 miles north of the Loop. More accurate comparison is easily Rittenhouse Square

Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not sure why City Center and Lincoln Park are being compared...Lincoln Park is 2-2.5 miles north of "downtown" and about 3 miles north of the Loop. More accurate comparison is easily Rittenhouse Square
But Rittenhoise Square is IN Center City, it's just a tiny part of it. How is that a better comparison to Lincoln Park which is away from downtown and probably 20 times larger? I don't understand what you are saying.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
But Rittenhoise Square is IN Center City, it's just a tiny part of it. How is that a better comparison to Lincoln Park which is away from downtown and probably 20 times larger? I don't understand what you are saying.
For some reason I thought RS was not in City Center and right outside of it. I got confused obviously.

Here's what I'm saying. The neighborhoods are similar by character and feel, but they are geographically located in different areas in relation to the center of the city. Lincoln Square is not in downtown Chicago no matter how you define downtown. Lincoln Park is to the Loop as Walnut Hill is to City Center distance wise..perhaps.

Also are you saying that Lincoln Park is 20 times larger than "downtown Chicago?" That's not even close to true. If we are ONLY talking about the Loop (which almost nobody except an old person considers the only section of downtown) as downtown, then Lincoln Park is only twice the overall physical area of the Loop and a little over twice the amount of people. If we are including Near North Side into this (River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast), then downtown Chicago is larger than Lincoln Park in both population and overall area

Loop - 1.58 sq miles | 29,283 people
Lincoln Park - 3.19 sq miles | 64,116 people
Near North Side - 2.72 sq miles | 80,484 people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City