Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:01 PM

274 posts, read 470,335 times

Advertisements

I totally go for Chi-town. Philly is kind of boring for me and its energy completely getting sucked by New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago is called the second city because of the Chicago Fire! The term doesn't have any relationship to New York. Philly can give Chicago a run for its money. I'm not saying Philly is better but it's arguably pound for pound just as urban as Chicago.
Actually yes it does. There is even a famous book published in the 1950s that's all about this. Even if the original name was because of the fire, the connotation has to do with the rivalry with NYC. Give me a break. People who bring up the Fire as the connotation of this term are living over 100 years in the past.

Quote:
Chicago is often referred to as "the second city," but to its citizens, it is second to none.

For decades, Chicago was second to New York in city population rankings and New Yorker magazine writer Abbott J. Liebling used the term as a title for his 1950s tongue-in-cheek book titled, Chicago: The Second City. The book was not well received. Today, Chicago is actually the third largest city in the United States following New York and Los Angeles.

Liebling, however, did not originate the Chicago nickname. Chicago was often referred to as the "second city" during the battle with New York as the selection for the site of the Columbian Exposition.
Amazon.com: Chicago: The Second City (9780803280359): A. J. Liebling: Books

Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I use to wear a bullet vest when walking to work at night after having two guns pointed at me during a robbery. You just never know when it will come in useful.
Thats what happened to my cousin...he was in high school walking home and two guys threatened him with a gun, they took his backpack. He later told police that all he had was a water bottle, a crappy cheap cricket cell phone and a history book from his class. lol

Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually yes it does. There is even a famous book published in the 1950s that's all about this. Even if the original name was because of the fire, the connotation has to do with the rivalry with NYC. Give me a break. People who bring up the Fire as the connotation of this term are living over 100 years in the past.

Amazon.com: Chicago: The Second City (9780803280359): A. J. Liebling: Books
So what your saying is that Chicagoans at that time viewed their city as 2nd best/2nd rate compared to NYC? If what your saying is true, then that seems to me like an issue of inferiority complex.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 PM

432 posts, read 609,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
I totally go for Chi-town. Philly is kind of boring for me and its energy completely getting sucked by New York.
Rofl first time I've heard someone call PHILLY BORING.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So what your saying is that Chicagoans at that time viewed their city as 2nd best/2nd rate compared to NYC? If what your saying is true, then that seems to me like an issue of inferiority complex.
What? LOL...jfc. The guy who wrote that book was a New Yorker who worked for...the New Yorker. He's the one who really put the current connotation out there. It has nothing to do with how people in Chicago may or may not feel. If you actually read anything about anything, you would have known that. Even in my quote I put that the author worked for the New Yorker. Nice job trying to spin it though.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
There's nothing positive about ghetto culture, unless you're into thingsc like poverty, ignorance, butchering the English language, out-of-wedlock births, dope or senseless violence.
xcept ghetto hoes

Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Chicago is better...

Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What? LOL...jfc. The guy who wrote that book was a New Yorker who worked for...the New Yorker. He's the one who really put the current connotation out there. It has nothing to do with how people in Chicago may or may not feel. If you actually read anything about anything, you would have known that. Even in my quote I put that the author worked for the New Yorker. Nice job trying to spin it though.
Yeah but that still doesn't explain how the Chicago natives felt about that title given to them. Do you have any other information that talks about that viewpoint? By the way no need for insults, it's just harmless speculation.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Welcome back blue bird aka foo cities aka durf aka theBigGeo08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City