Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
It looks like it's either going to Atlanta or Dallas
Does it? I haven't seen anything to lead us to believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Does it? I haven't seen anything to lead us to believe that.
Of course not, but look at who you replied to.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
It looks like it's either going to Atlanta or Dallas
Boston is heavily in the mix as well.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 AM

34 posts, read 37,632 times
Chicago's downtown is more grand, but I prefer Philadelphia's, which is more intimate and loaded with historical charm.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrreat View Post
Chicago's downtown is more grand, but I prefer Philadelphia's, which is more intimate and loaded with historical charm.

I tend to like Philadelphia's downtown somewhat too. It's small, walkable and there is some charm. Also, a lot of grime and dirt, which all-in-all, is not necessarily a bad thing. Not as bad as NYC anyway.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:36 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
I had a nice visit to chicago this summer. I went with a group of other people from Philadelphia so we did do a good amount of comparing. I thought the rivers and lake is what made Chicago special. We did the twilight tour with the Chicago Architecture Foundation, and our docent was (on purpose) a man who grew up in Philadelphia but had lived in Chicago since the 1970s'. It truly was an awesome and unique experience. I suggest anyone visiting Chicago to do it.

(All of my own photos)

Philly is getting a new Four Seasons and the restaurant at the top will have incredible views, great food, and a neo art deco design. The restaurant on the first floor will be led by one of our excellent local chefs.

Quote:
Vongerichten, a celebrity chef/restaurateur with properties around the world, will open his restaurant at the top of the tower, reports Philly.com. Philly-based Vernick, who was named best chef in the mid-Atlantic region at this year’s James Beard Awards, will open a restaurant on the first floor. This will be the second restaurant for Vernick, after his eponymous Rittenhouse Square eatery.
The two chefs are already well acquainted. Vernick, originally from Cherry Hill, worked for Vongeritchten earlier in his career, starting as a line cook and moving up to become sous chef at Jean-Georges. He later took on a role as a chef trainer for Vongrichten’s restaurants in Qatar, Tokyo, Vancouver, Utah, and closer to home in Boston. In 2012, he came back to the Philly area to open Vernick Food & Drink with his wife, Julie. "I’m grateful to be able to open another restaurant in Philadelphia, a city that I will forever call home,” Vernick said over email.
French chef Vongerichten’s list of restaurants spans a dozen countries, from China to Brazil, and includes several critically acclaimed New York eateries. He’s perhaps best known for Jean-Georges, set in the Trump Tower on Central Park. The restaurant, opened in 1997, earned three Michelin stars.
https://philly.eater.com/2017/9/19/1...r-philadelphia

Can't wait to eat here: http://www.cgarchitect.com/content/p...date_large.jpg

It kind of reminds me of a new age Signature Room in the John Hancock building since it's our tallest building.

Another place I suggest in Philly is the Skygarten beer garden is cool place to visit to get high up views

Or the relatively new One Liberty Observation Deck:

Old 01-20-2018, 09:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
the Chicago architecture tour is great both river and walking tour

Chicago now has a ton of roof lounges/bars all along the river

even the trump tower has spectacular views, especially evening

there are a few just on the otter side that were cool too

I really like Chicago but they are hard to compare and Chicago does feel grander, agree there

Old 01-20-2018, 11:21 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Chicago's core is definitely grander. After NYC and DC, Chicago has the grandest, most monumental core in North America (and probably the Americas overall).

But Philly has a tighter, more urban core. It's more of a quasi-European model, as opposed to the North American model in Chicago.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:43 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times
Philly at night 🌙..drone shots.

https://youtu.be/n5fkFw8xPZ4

Old 01-20-2018, 04:50 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times
Chicago drone shots...at night. 🌙

https://youtu.be/sDm6CUG-5p0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City