Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,526,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Only you ScrantiX.

Keep your douchery in the Bay Area where it belongs.

You know, only 1.6 million people choose to live in Philly. More people than in San Francisco.
And only 6+ million people choose to live in the Philly metro. More people than in San Francisco metro.

Summers343 I am new here but from reading your comments, you know your stuff about Philly, and make good arguments for it. Don't let the people who haven't been to 3/4s of the places they speak about, get u worked up. I think if you asked everyone in the country if they would rather be in the Midwest and live in lake effect climate or in PAs mid Atlantic climate, they would take PA. within 2 hrs of Philly there is ocean city Maryland and New Jersey, virginia beach, Atlantic city, all the other numerous shore towns.. The lake looks like an ocean and in a way it's like comparing apples and oranges. Apples are just better IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM

9,356 posts, read 13,024,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Only you ScrantiX.

Keep your douchery in the Bay Area where it belongs.

You know, only 1.6 million people choose to live in Philly. More people than in San Francisco.
And only 6+ million people choose to live in the Philly metro. More people than in San Francisco metro.

Put the Tyrannosaurus-Roll on ignore where it belongs.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Summers343 I am new here but from reading your comments, you know your stuff about Philly, and make good arguments for it. Don't let the people who haven't been to 3/4s of the places they speak about, get u worked up. I think if you asked everyone in the country if they would rather be in the Midwest and live in lake effect climate or in PAs mid Atlantic climate, they would take PA. within 2 hrs of Philly there is ocean city Maryland and New Jersey, virginia beach, Atlantic city, all the other numerous shore towns.. The lake looks like an ocean and in a way it's like comparing apples and oranges. Apples are just better IMO.
Actually Chicago is one of the most desirable cities in the US. Its polled as one of the most desirable cities and Philly has never made it on these lists because nobody GAF about living in Philly. Philly area got a pathetic 15k new folks last year Chicago got 24k.

The 10 Cities Where Americans Most Want To Live: Harris Interactive

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
How could anyone resist this? Its one of the sexiest cities in the world IMO. Its not fair for other cities, Chicago is a prom queen being compared to dumpster dates with acne and warts
They are both great cities that are very comparable on so many different metrics, like cuisine, culture, architecture, infrastructure, importance(both modern and historical), transportation, and scenery. I can't think of two other cities of that size that are more comparable on so many different metrics. If you were going to decide(other than NYC or LA) which US city comes the closest to rivaling Chicago when it comes to what city has to offer, it would be hard not to choose Philadelphia.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,526,714 times
Quote:
Actually Chicago is one of the most desirable cities in the US. Its polled as one of the most desirable cities and Philly has never made it on these lists because nobody GAF about living in Philly. Philly area got a pathetic 15k new folks last year Chicago got 24k.

The 10 Cities Where Americans Most Want To Live: Harris Interactive
nice. Not adding anything to the conversation. I know you guys love your tech, but do you actually have any firsthand experience of either place? I am sure you will counter with another internet ranking..

Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM

230 posts, read 286,792 times
Disappointed, Scrantix. Last time I saw you post, I thought you had turned over a new leaf. It's a shame to see you back at the troll game. You can post intelligently when you try. I've seen it. Childish insults don't do you or the Bay any credit.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 292,709 times
Chicago overall. Even though it has more gangs than Philly, the downtown and surroundings are a lot prettier.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:57 AM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
Quote:
And yet, that'd make Philadelphia's rate of population growth slightly faster than Chicago's, so that means either both cities' rate of population growth is pathetic, or neither city's is. You can't have it both ways.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,535,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
This is not true we have six flags in gurnee and Wisconsin dells not too away one of the best water parks in the country that's actually one of my favorite things about Chicago you can escape the city for the wknd and be in several different states in a matter of hours. Sounds like we are taking more region like Midwest vs northeast and not metro this comes down to opinion
Yup, just like I stated above. In terms of immediate location, Chicago obviously wins. For day/weekend trips, it becomes a regional competition, and anyone out east that says "nothing" surrounds Chicago has never been in the Upper Midwest, just like anyone saying Philly is the rude epicenter of the country and is all decay or whatever clearly-wrong stereotypes has never been there.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They are both great cities that are very comparable on so many different metrics, like cuisine, culture, architecture, infrastructure, importance(both modern and historical), transportation, and scenery. I can't think of two other cities of that size that are more comparable on so many different metrics. If you were going to decide(other than NYC or LA) which US city comes the closest to rivaling Chicago when it comes to what city has to offer, it would be hard not to choose Philadelphia.

I think Philadelphia is a great town, but the two simply are not nearly as close to being peers as you make it sound. Chicago's in an altogether different league. Philly is great, but a tier lower. Philly's closer piers are akin to Boston and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City