Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:01 PM

828 posts, read 651,228 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the Philadelphia metro and like it, but Chicago is easily on top overall. Second best city after NYC in most "objective" measures and subjectively, I can easily argue it is the most "American" and best city overall in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 863,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
I'm originally from the Philadelphia metro and like it, but Chicago is easily on top overall. Second best city after NYC in most "objective" measures and subjectively, I can easily argue it is the most "American" and best city overall in the U.S.
You said it. Please argue it is the most American city overall. I've heard this and can't for the life of me understand it

Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,250,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
You said it. Please argue it is the most American city overall. I've heard this and can't for the life of me understand it
This comes from its rebuilding after the Great Fire of 1871 and few blocks that burned again a few years later.

The city began the skyscraper and American Architects created features that to this day the city retains a American architecture esteem. Its housing stock also is more American. Its far more unattached but close-knit housing. What row-housing it got .... was high-end especially what survives. Its blue collar neighborhoods were unattached cottage homes and its 2-3-flat homes and American Architect Frank Lloyd Write inspired Bungalow belt that took over 1915-1940 and a 1/3 of the city have the American designs and Tiffany windows many had added too.

The workers cottage
https://chicagoarchitecturedata.com/...age/buildings/

The Chicago Greystone
Hey Ho Chicago: Chicago's Greystones

The 2-3 flats
Two- and Three-flats*·*Buildings of Chicago*·*Chicago Architecture Foundation - CAF

So this was unlike British inspired row-housing in the northeast. LA also developed their craftsman bungalows same era. Chicago's all were brick.

Chicago's skyscraper architecture alone is what's renown ..... but even its housing is American in nature.

Some examples differing eras.
Late 1800 Early 1900 era workers cottage homes - late 1800s Greystone - 1920s 3-flats and bungalows then 40s 50s.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-10-2019 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 09:59 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,714 times
Quote:
I’ve never understood what is meant by this either, but I see that claim here all the time. I’m not sure what makes anywhere more or less “American” than any other place in this country.

Edit: just saw Dave’s explanation right after I posted this. It’s about the housing stock?? Honestly I still don’t quite get it...

Old 01-03-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I’ve never understood what is meant by this either, but I see that claim here all the time. I’m not sure what makes anywhere more or less “American” than any other place in this country.

Edit: just saw Dave’s explanation right after I posted this. It’s about the housing stock?? Honestly I still don’t quite get it...
It's really about the early development of the skyscraper and how Architects pioneered it there after the Great Fire lured many to do their part in rebuilding. Notable examples throughout the decades also. I merely noted housing stock differs from Philly's too and more American over European. LA played a key roll on how the American home would evolve to. Especially our suburbs with the Ranch-home.

https://www.thoughtco.com/chicago-sc...h-style-178372

https://www.thoughtco.com/must-see-c...the-usa-178154

Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,899,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It's really about the early development of the skyscraper and how Architects pioneered it there after the Great Fire lured many to do their part in rebuilding. Notable examples throughout the decades also. I merely noted housing stock differs from Philly's too and more American over European. LA played a key roll on how the American home would evolve to. Especially our suburbs with the Ranch-home.

Really?? So that's it huh? Oh boy... I guess that solves it Dave. Thanks for enlightening us.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you. I live in and love Chicago, but have never understood the most American city mantra.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 PM

1,394 posts, read 863,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Boston is the most American because it led the revolution. Philly is most American because it is home to the declaration. In a country of immigrants NYC is most American because it is most multicultural. Or Chicago is most American because it has brick bungalow housing stock? How bout they're all American.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:42 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Quote:
I've always wanted to know this as well. There isn't just one type of America, so it doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Boston is the most American because it led the revolution. Philly is most American because it is home to the declaration. In a country of immigrants NYC is most American because it is most multicultural. Or Chicago is most American because it has brick bungalow housing stock? How bout they're all American.
Or a city is for having the most row-homes.....

I replied to a post. Added further follow-up and reasons. Housing was more on my opinion. Architecture in general and especially in skyscrapers and its evolution is historically documented. Just as for Early American History Philly and Boston played key rolls.

Perhaps you have positive postings to give on Philly or opinion? As the thread is on Chicago vs Philly and the opening post of the OP asked this in 2009 when the thread began.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Based on look, lifestyle and amenities combined. Debate.
Housing and architecture is part of - look..... and so is its lakefront, with attractions and recreation attributes to highlight ..... is under - attributes as well.

The thread gets reopened again every few months. I merely gave comments on Chicago's lakefront attributes .... despite being a huge lake and not a ocean, as someone replied. Still.... Any ocean-coastal city would be lucky to have Chicago's waterfront.

You asked this .....
Quote:
You asked for a argument ..... I gave comments by referencing Chicago's housing stock examples and Architectural renown significance in the history of the skyscraper. You disagree? That is fine. Still Chicago ranks high in given credit for its contributions to American Architecture. Does not lessen other cities contributions too.

This was posted in the Chicago forum... despite the city's issues. It still moves forward especially its Core CBD adding 100,000 residents since 2000.

Chicago was just crowned one of the top 10 tech hubs in the world.
https://www.builtinchicago.org/2017/...ampaign=buffer

Chicago’s tech prowess is getting more recognition from the world’s tech scene. A new report from KPMG surveyed more than 800 tech leaders and found that Chicago is in the top 10 of tech innovation hubs worldwide. The survey asked leaders to name three innovation centers outside of Silicon Valley. Shanghai, China took the top spot, followed by New York City. Chicago tied with Berlin and Washington, D.C. for sixth place.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-03-2018 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City