Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 03:31 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,250,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Why are you so obsessed with this comparison/thread? You come back on here every few days with something new. I think just about every possible angle of this comparison has been hashed out in the 100+ pages. Can't we all just agree that these are 2 great cities????
And C-D wants old threads rehashed over new. I did not re-open it. But reply to comments on mine and if I am on topic and fine some tidbit on these two cities. It is fair to post. If you wish to comment in actual post? You surely can.

Every city in a vs. thread is a great city in its own right. Perhaps city vs city is not for you? I do not see your problem on post about Chicago you live yet? I did no bashing to either city. If I like one better and side with it more. It's fair to include some proof of opinions too.

Every decent size city was probably done on C-C many times. These two are no exception. I'd a year of nor passes till another? Nothing wrong to use it.

If you check out the Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia thread in the Pennsylvania forum. You will see endless post of new things built and coming to Philly. A few on Pittsburgh. But one city is much smaller. Don't stop the Philly posters keeping it going with links and mocking another who argues for Pittsburgh.

Really, I should not have to defend post on a favorite city in the topic here. If I post something not true? Surely correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,747,730 times
It's a quite difficult poll, I think Chicago is a better city overall but its long and terrible winters leads me to prefer Philadelphia.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 PM

115 posts, read 96,966 times
Two of my favorite cities. Can't really choose.

Bonus points for actually being able to afford them.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times
Chicago is a bigger city, but I really like the colonial look of certain parts of Philly. Overall, I think I'd rather live in Chicago (and already do).

Old 06-19-2017, 06:55 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,704,266 times
No affinty toward either one, but if a gun was held to my head, I'd say Philly--- east coast, milder winters, access to "real" beaches and access to our nations capital, DC and the world capital of NYC

Old 06-20-2017, 12:38 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,365,340 times
Default no comparison

I understand the Philly viewpoint, but there is really no comparison between the two, as this poll shows. Chicago just has some really spectacular areas within its boundaries, I can't say that Philly does, although the colonial architecture and the downtown areas are pleasant. I do admire the love people in Philly have for their city, which shows in the polls on CD.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,183,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I understand the Philly viewpoint, but there is really no comparison between the two, as this poll shows. Chicago just has some really spectacular areas within its boundaries, I can't say that Philly does, although the colonial architecture and the downtown areas are pleasant. I do admire the love people in Philly have for their city, which shows in the polls on CD.
Are you serious? While Chicago should rightfully win this poll on objective measures, due to its sheer size and population gap over Philadelphia, that doesn't mean Philly doesn't have really spectacular areas within its boundaries. Wissahickon Creek in Fairmount Park is legitimately one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen within a city's boundaries. Seriously, Google it. You won't believe it's in Philadelphia proper. Kelly Drive/Schuylkill River Trail are also spectacular urban trails with fantastic views. And 'Rocky' has made the view from the Art Museum famous, and it has only gotten better as Philly has gotten taller. I won't even go in depth on the murals, which are abundant and beautiful, and really augment the streetscape of the city, and lend themselves to a sense of unintended discovery. Point being, there are plenty of spectacular areas within Philly's boundaries, just like Chicago.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Are you serious? While Chicago should rightfully win this poll on objective measures, due to its sheer size and population gap over Philadelphia, that doesn't mean Philly doesn't have really spectacular areas within its boundaries. Wissahickon Creek in Fairmount Park is legitimately one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen within a city's boundaries. Seriously, Google it. You won't believe it's in Philadelphia proper. Kelly Drive/Schuylkill River Trail are also spectacular urban trails with fantastic views. And 'Rocky' has made the view from the Art Museum famous, and it has only gotten better as Philly has gotten taller. I won't even go in depth on the murals, which are abundant and beautiful, and really augment the streetscape of the city, and lend themselves to a sense of unintended discovery. Point being, there are plenty of spectacular areas within Philly's boundaries, just like Chicago.
Don't forget the rolling hills of the Northwest, stone houses, Belgium block streetscapes, and quaint shopping districts.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Don't forget the rolling hills of the Northwest, stone houses, Belgium block streetscapes, and quaint shopping districts.
Most people confuse Belgium block with cobblestone.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM

404 posts, read 457,816 times
Chicago all the way. I prefer Pittsburgh over Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City