Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:08 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Yet, despite all of its pros, Chicago, Chicagoland, and Illinois are seeing stagnant to negative population growth.
This has been hashed out so many times, yet continues to come up whenever someone's back is against a wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
Does anyone else hate CSAs? I feel that often times they add quite a bit of fluff to a city's population numbers, combining two urban areas that have little to nothing to do with each other and are often times separated by a 90+ minute commute.

I prefer Demographia's urban numbers to show a city's true size, as it doesn't count fluff or rural areas in a city's size (like the CSA does with Atlanta, adding another 1.1 million people to the "city") but doesn't separate urban areas, like the Census does, that are separated by geographical barriers or uninhabitable land (such as farms or mountains like the CB does with San Fran and SJ, counting them as two separate Urban areas).

In that respect, Chicago has 9.185 million people while Philly has 5.595 million.

Unless NYC adopts a bullet train, I don't think Philly will ever be "part of" NYC, due to the VAST distance (even by train, it's still a 1.25 hour commute).
Depends on the CSA. Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Southeastern Michigan are examples of the CSA being more reflective of a metro area than the MSA, for example.

I don't think the overlap for Philadelphia and New York is going to be in either city, it's more about people in New Jersey and how blurry the lines between the two urban areas are becoming... we are fast approaching a point where are you will have dual income households where one spouse works in New York in the other works in Philadelphia. People will put up with as long of a commute as it takes to live a sustainable lifestyle.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:43 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This has been hashed out so many times, yet continues to come up whenever someone's back is against a wall.
Hope the ''back against a wall'' is referenced towards me. It's a fact; Illinois and Chicago are in dismal financial conditions. Facts are facts. If my back were against a wall I would throw the gun violence bomb out here...lol. Even the Obamas ain't going back to the south side other than to visit the Presidential Library (after the $1.5 billion is raised to build it). Time to pass yet another hat for that dough; maybe Oprah can help, but she too left Chicago.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Hope the ''back against a wall'' is referenced towards me. It's a fact; Illinois and Chicago are in dismal financial conditions. Facts are facts. If my back were against a wall I would throw the gun violence bomb out here...lol. Even the Obamas ain't going back to the south side other than to visit the Presidential Library (after the $1.5 billion is raised to build it). Time to pass yet another hat for that dough; maybe Oprah can help, but she too left Chicago.
I thing you proved him right - sorry. All the last presidents have a library. Your new state and my state - Pennsylvania is broke too. Closed a large prison in Pittsburgh and dabbling with closing of State Colleges. Forget passing a budget too. So why rant on Illinois? Even NJ across the Delaware river from you is listed as worst.

As for Oprah? Yeah, she left for California. Her studio in a refurbished warehouse has been demolished and McDonalds -'New Headquarters is now under construction there.

As for Obama not returning? He still owns his Chicago home and is staying in DC. Crime - you know there is a crime thread. Philly isn't much better. Why ALL just left it alone till cornered.

Just start talking on Philly and its great things you discovered? Not dwell on Chicago in subtle jabs. Thanks though for NOT Talking down Chicago-style housing or city lay-out. Of you like Philly's better now? Tell us why maybe? 👌

Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I thing you proved him right - sorry. All the last presidents have a library. Your new state and my state - Pennsylvania is broke too. Closed a large prison in Pittsburgh and dabbling with closing of State Colleges. Forget passing a budget too. So why rant on Illinois? Even NJ across the Delaware river from you is listed as worst.

As for Oprah? Yeah, she left for California. Her studio in a refurbished warehouse has been demolished and McDonalds -'New Headquarters is now under construction there.

As for Obama not returning? He still owns his Chicago home and is staying in DC. Crime - you know there is a crime thread. Philly isn't much better. Why ALL just left it alone till cornered.

Just start talking on Philly and its great things you discovered? Not dwell on Chicago in subtle jabs. Thanks though for NOT Talking down Chicago-style housing or city lay-out. Of you like Philly's better now? Tell us why maybe? 👌
Well, Einstein, it's a Chicago vs. Philadelphia thread. Expect good and bad about both. Deal with it; maybe you should go to one of those 'safe-zones or something. You don't live in either Chicago or Philly so what's your personal defensiveness about Chicago? Then again, Chicago is an insecure place generally so maybe you are from there. Who knows, who cares?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Well, Einstein, it's a Chicago vs. Philadelphia thread. Expect good and bad about both. Deal with it; maybe you should go to one of those 'safe-zones or something. You don't live in either Chicago or Philly so what's your personal defensiveness about Chicago? Then again, Chicago is an insecure place generally so maybe you are from there. Who knows, who cares?
So what are some good things about both that you like?

Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 PM

313 posts, read 337,014 times
Their is a huge amount of commerce between the two metro's of Philly and N.Y. particularly in the health care field . The University of Pennsylvania's health care system merger with Princeton University health care will make Penn one of the major health care providers in the N.Y. Metro . Also Children's Hospital of Philadelphia will provide Barnabas Hospital System of north jersey pediatric services both inpatient and outpatient centers to the N.Y. Metro . North Jersey gains the best health care and Phila. gains billions in $.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
Does anyone else hate CSAs? I feel that often times they add quite a bit of fluff to a city's population numbers, combining two urban areas that have little to nothing to do with each other and are often times separated by a 90+ minute commute.

I prefer Demographia's urban numbers to show a city's true size, as it doesn't count fluff or rural areas in a city's size (like the CSA does with Atlanta, adding another 1.1 million people to the "city") but doesn't separate urban areas, like the Census does, that are separated by geographical barriers or uninhabitable land (such as farms or mountains like the CB does with San Fran and SJ, counting them as two separate Urban areas).

In that respect, Chicago has 9.185 million people while Philly has 5.595 million.

Unless NYC adopts a bullet train, I don't think Philly will ever be "part of" NYC, due to the VAST distance (even by train, it's still a 1.25 hour commute).
That number is off, Philadelphia MSA is over 6 million.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That number is off, Philadelphia MSA is over 6 million.
No, that number is the urban area estimate from Demographia.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Regardless, Chicago by any measure is a larger city. Philadelphia is still large, but Chicago is larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City